• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scary eBay Situation!
1 1

48 posts in this topic

Was watching an auction and when it ended I say this in the bid history.

Three different bidders with the exact amount after the auction ended?

Has this ever happened to anyone? Who gets the item? Is this just a rare glitch?

I have so many questions, I have never seen this in my 15 years on eBay.

What is going on here?

Ebay WTF.JPG

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I think whoever put the bid in first wins. I’ve lost two way ties before

Interesting I thought it would just say you need to bid more. I have never seen this happen before out of the thousands of listings I have followed. I always look at bid history and this is a first.

Just now, grayzr said:

Interesting I thought it would just say you need to bid more. I have never seen this happen before out of the thousands of listings I have followed. I always look at bid history and this is a first.

That’s what it does say for the later bidders. Say the current bid is at $22.00 but the high bidders max bid is $25.00 and you put in a $25.00 bid. It would notify you that you’ve been outbid even though you matched the high bid to the cent. For a three way tie I think the second and third bidders had to have submitted their bid simultaneously 

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

That’s what it does say for the later bidders. Say the current bid is at $22.00 but the high bidders max bid is $25.00 and you put in a $25.00 bid. It would notify you that you’ve been outbid even though you matched the high bid to the cent. For a three way tie I think the second and third bidders had to have submitted their bid simultaneously 

All 3 of the bids were placed at different times though.

Even if it was a tie how could the winning bidder, the guy on top win with the exact same amount of $265.00

I have out bid people and lost by pennies before but never won/lost anything and saw a lower bid matching my bid.

Its crazy.

Just now, Bird said:

bids 2 and 3 both bid in the last 5 seconds.

Yes but how is it possible that the 3rd and final winning bit was also tied at 265.00 after being placed 40 seconds after the 2 tied bids?

1 minute ago, grayzr said:

Yes but how is it possible that the 3rd and final winning bit was also tied at 265.00 after being placed 40 seconds after the 2 tied bids?

the earliest bid won

Just now, Bird said:

the earliest bid won

I still don't understand how this is possible. How did the winner place a bid 40 seconds after a current bid of 265.00 and beat someone at the same exact bid amount? 

Basically what your saying is if someone bids 265 dollars then someone else can come along later and also bid the exact same amount and win.

In what auction format does this make sense?

Bidding at the exact same second ok I can understand but 40 seconds apart really?

I need to test this out.

The winner bid at 5:21:52 And the other two bitters bed after him I don’t know why you think he was 40 seconds after they did. I assume the guy on the top won correct

Edited by Bird

I have 3 eBay accounts and just tested it on a random item.

It does not work with 3 identical bids, the 2 guys that tied yes it would work but the winning bidder would have to at least bid 1 cent more or it would of not allowed the exact amount to go threw.

I was expecting some kind of creepy pasta story, with scary and all mentioned.  :insane:

Anyway first bid wins (o...e (389) )

I've lost an auction before with a tying bid with like 35 seconds to go, I just figured my bid that I had just placed was the highest bidder amount. (exactly as I’d bid, exact change and all. ) I was stunned when auction had ended, and I’d lost. Was kind of funny, I Just chalked that up as wasn’t meant to be mine. 👍 

1 minute ago, nepatkm said:

I was expecting some kind of creepy pasta story, with scary and all mentioned.  :insane:

Anyway first bid wins (o...e (389) )

I've lost an auction before with a tying bid with like 35 seconds to go, I just figured my bid that I had just placed was the highest bidder amount. (exactly as I’d bid, exact change and all. ) I was stunned when auction had ended, and I’d lost. Was kind of funny, I Just chalked that up as wasn’t meant to be mine. 👍 

That was with a 2 way tie right? not 3

4 minutes ago, grayzr said:

I have 3 eBay accounts and just tested it on a random item.

It does not work with 3 identical bids, the 2 guys that tied yes it would work but the winning bidder would have to at least bid 1 cent more or it would of not allowed the exact amount to go threw.

Sure it would. It drove the bid up. Let’s say it was a 99 cent starting bid and only had one bidder. It’s still at 99 cents but the bidders max bid is $700. Then another bidder comes along and bids $700. The bid will Drive the high bidders bid up to $700. They would absolutely allow the auction to bid up on a $700 bid just the same they would a $699 bid. It’s the same exact thing to eBay

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Sure it would. It drove the bid up. Let’s say it was a 99 cent starting bid and only had one bidder. It’s still at 99 cents but the bidders max bid is $700. Then another bidder comes along and bids $700. The bid will Drive the high bidders bid up to $700. They would absolutely allow the auction to bid up on a $700 bid just the same they would a $699 bid. It’s the same exact thing to eBay

I understand that but after that second bid how can the next bid also be the same amount from a different bidder?

That's 3 identical bids in a row at different times?

Maybe im just losing my mind here (shrug)

5 minutes ago, grayzr said:

That was with a 2 way tie right? not 3

Yeah, with the exact handful of change thrown in. There is a minimum bid when you get higher bid increments the pricier the auction goes. Sometimes not worth the extra cash for a book. 💰🤷🏼‍♂️