Can pressing a water damaged book help it's value?

7 posts in this topic

2,421 posts

This book is really wavy, but I'm wondering if a press would take some of the wave out. For a key book like this, would it be worth a press and sub?

Thor166FC.jpeg

Thor166BC.jpeg

thor166 wave.jpg

22,457 posts

I see rust migration from the top staple. Is that just dirt on the back cover or mold? 

Press will help, but the water related damage is going to get hammered on this book. Especially if it is moldy.

2,421 posts

I cannot tell if it is mold. I can tell you that the stain is on every internal page of the book, though. Pictures show the centerfold, closeup on outside and inside back cover.

Thor166 center.jpg

Thor166 closeup.jpg

Thor166 inside cover.jpg

2,921 posts

Based on what I've seen from recent auctions, I wouldn't advise investing anything else into this book. That includes time, effort and money. If you want to own a nicer copy, there are still plenty available...

874 posts
6 hours ago, joeypost said:

I see rust migration from the top staple. Is that just dirt on the back cover or mold? 

Press will help, but the water related damage is going to get hammered on this book. Especially if it is moldy.

Joey didn’t press a couple of the books I sent him recently for a pre-CGC press, specifically because of water damage I was unaware of. So he saved me money and time. And now he’s doing the same for you. :) Take his advice, and The Lions Den’s... 

2,909 posts

I've water damaged a few I've sold over the years ... with tears.

513 posts
Posted (edited)

Here's one Joey pressed for me. VF/NMish, save for the obvious water damage and subsequent staining on the front and back at the top of the book. He let me know it wouldn't do much for me, but it was one of the first books I purchased when I really started seriously collecting. I bought it for a song ($10 bucks I think) in the early 2000's. I still think the press helped the grade. 

2281275_Full_Obv.jpg

2281275_Full_Rev.jpg

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo