• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you store your slabs?
1 1

167 posts in this topic

If you invest in one of those high grade Silver Age Marvel comics - it will really end up being stored away and taken out occasionally for appreciation. I personally like to have my comics out in display which is why I really only go for key moderns or cover\stories I really enjoy.

As promised I received my order from ClearBags, and well they look exactly the same as the ones on eBay lol. The only real difference is the height of the flap and the height of where the main body ends. Everything else including the width, the material, and the adhesive are exactly the same to my eyes. From the picts the one in the back is from eBay, and the one on top is the one from ClearBags. It is possible that the eBay members at the time they made their purchase just happened to have bought a slightly different cut, but they are pretty identical and I must say it's pretty convincing they probably bought from ClearBags as well. 

I still owe you guys a review on the acrylic stand, it's on the way.

IMG_20190329_063708.jpg

IMG_20190329_063848.jpg

So finally the acrylic case came in with UV protection and this thing is simply amazing. It comes in two parts, the base, and then the case that actually holds the slab. The case that holds the slab has a sliding door on the bottom. Everything connects together via tension only.

Now the case that holds the slab is made perfectly to hold the slab in a way the slab doesn't move at all, so you can't for example fit a slab that's bagged into the case, there would be no room at all.

The picture I provided really doesn't do it justice, the whole ensemble looks amazing in person. Yes it's a bit pricey, but IMO definitely worth the investment for those  who display their most loved books.

1936231523 (2).png

3 hours ago, Immortal Hulk said:

So finally the acrylic case came in with UV protection and this thing is simply amazing. It comes in two parts, the base, and then the case that actually holds the slab. The case that holds the slab has a sliding door on the bottom. Everything connects together via tension only.

Now the case that holds the slab is made perfectly to hold the slab in a way the slab doesn't move at all, so you can't for example fit a slab that's bagged into the case, there would be no room at all.

The picture I provided really doesn't do it justice, the whole ensemble looks amazing in person. Yes it's a bit pricey, but IMO definitely worth the investment for those  who display their most loved books.

1936231523 (2).png

That is pretty cool - I'm just using some display hinges that are rubber coated to protect the book but UV protection would be nice.  Do you mind posting a link to where to buy these?

19 hours ago, Immortal Hulk said:

Here is the link for the acrylic cases: https://cgagrading.com/OnlineStore/AcrylicDisplayCaseStandforCGCGradedComicBooks.html

These cases are made to fit perfectly the newer CGC Cases.

I checked out the site they do display cases for giant size comics as well I am sure that would handle the different size cases as well as cases for toys, cards and custom size cases, pretty cool site. 

Thanks for the Link 

I think this should get a bump

On 3/12/2019 at 8:20 PM, Immortal Hulk said:
On 3/12/2019 at 2:07 PM, Ovrclck said:

Yep! With flaps, just like you I also use painters tape to hold the flap down.

Spine down is preferred.

Linky

According to the links CGC says:

So what does the CGC say about the matter?

In short, they support the traditional vertical storage method:

"We suggest that all graded comics be stored as you would any other comic, standing upright in an archival safe comic box in a cool dry place."

- Wm. Eric Downton, CGC Receiving Manager

I think I'll stay with vertical lol.

I'm late to this, but +1 to storing on the spine.  Basically, when stored vertically, i'm afraid that gravity will pull the interior pages away from the spine over time.  When stored horizontally, the book sits comfortably on the spine preventing such damage.  But then again, my slabs are all tucked away in cardboard boxes so i'm not looking at them every day (or even every month).  I have considered UV framing or some such to display some books, but at this time it's not worth the additional financial cost.

13 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm late to this, but +1 to storing on the spine.  Basically, when stored vertically, i'm afraid that gravity will pull the interior pages away from the spine over time.  When stored horizontally, the book sits comfortably on the spine preventing such damage.  But then again, my slabs are all tucked away in cardboard boxes so i'm not looking at them every day (or even every month).  I have considered UV framing or some such to display some books, but at this time it's not worth the additional financial cost.

I'm planning to take my high res scans to a printing co and then have them framed. (thumbsu

On 3/26/2019 at 5:55 AM, Immortal Hulk said:

This is one of the reasons I don't want to get a golden or silver age comic - I'd want to display it all the time and the fear of gravity damaging the bottom edge and\or spine would drive me nuts!

You're missing out man! GA books have some amazing art! Just make a scan and print a high grade copy. Frame it and be done with it. :banana:

15 hours ago, Krishosein said:

I checked out the site they do display cases for giant size comics as well I am sure that would handle the different size cases as well as cases for toys, cards and custom size cases, pretty cool site. 

Thanks for the Link 

I think this should get a bump

No problem and thanks. Just ensure if you are buying a case for anything other then a new CGC slabs for modern comics, that you ask customer support to provide a link for the right case. You don't want to spend money and wait a couple weeks for a custom case that doesn't fit your slab.

19 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Best part is you can just show it off in a cheap IKEA frame.  And when it fades, you just print another high res copy.

question are you guys like scanning your slabs at like a Staples and printing them?

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

question are you guys like scanning your slabs at like a Staples and printing them?

Some people have their own hi-res printer/scanners (I think there was a thread here once discussing scanner qualities).  I don't display my books, but I have scanned one or two.  I just turn up all the quality settings on the scanner here at work and use that.  If I'm printing, then yeah, I'd probably go to FedEx/Kinkos and print it out a nicer sheet of paper or something.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:15 PM, Immortal Hulk said:

Here is the link for the acrylic cases: https://cgagrading.com/OnlineStore/AcrylicDisplayCaseStandforCGCGradedComicBooks.html

These cases are made to fit perfectly the newer CGC Cases.

How do you know these are UV protecting?   It does not say anything about that on the product page link provided.    Thanks!

Ah, never mind.  I see there is a drop down for UV protection that is an extra $20.  So $50 total for some plastic... ouch!!!   I would only do this if displaying my $1K+ books, but I don't like having those sit out to avoid theft (though I do have a house alarm, thieves can get through a house pretty quickly before police arrive).  I've got all the expensive stuff in a non-fireproof safe bolted to the floor.

Edited by BladeTX
Correction

On 4/1/2019 at 4:03 PM, ExNihilo said:

Basically, when stored vertically, i'm afraid that gravity will pull the interior pages away from the spine over time.  

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I will believe this theory when I see evidence. 

All I've seen to date are anecdotes and speculation. 

That being said, there is nothing wrong with storing spine-down. 

23 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Some people have their own hi-res printer/scanners (I think there was a thread here once discussing scanner qualities).  I don't display my books, but I have scanned one or two.  I just turn up all the quality settings on the scanner here at work and use that.  If I'm printing, then yeah, I'd probably go to FedEx/Kinkos and print it out a nicer sheet of paper or something.

I'm planning to go there this week. Thanks for the reminder! 

18 hours ago, BladeTX said:

How do you know these are UV protecting?   It does not say anything about that on the product page link provided.    Thanks!

Ah, never mind.  I see there is a drop down for UV protection that is an extra $20.  So $50 total for some plastic... ouch!!!   I would only do this if displaying my $1K+ books, but I don't like having those sit out to avoid theft (though I do have a house alarm, thieves can get through a house pretty quickly before police arrive).  I've got all the expensive stuff in a non-fireproof safe bolted to the floor.

No doubt it's pricey but yes, definitely for the books you love and want to display in your home I think you will find they're worth it. It's really fantastic in person.