• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you store your slabs?
1 1

167 posts in this topic

Here is another modern (signature) book with a conserved label. 

conserved2.JPG

Anyone display their slabs?

i know that this exposes the books and slabs somewhat, but to me the point is to be able to see the books to enjoy them...

I have a studio/game room in my basement and I want to decorate the walls with my collection.

It’s dark most of the time, climate and humidity controlled (45% for the guitars)

ideas to mitigate the exposure?  Secure display shelves?

437A4795-4E01-4554-8BE8-33423430B944.jpeg

10 minutes ago, RobZe said:

Anyone display their slabs?

i know that this exposes the books and slabs somewhat, but to me the point is to be able to see the books to enjoy them...

I have a studio/game room in my basement and I want to decorate the walls with my collection.

It’s dark most of the time, climate and humidity controlled (45% for the guitars)

ideas to mitigate the exposure?  Secure display shelves?

437A4795-4E01-4554-8BE8-33423430B944.jpeg

I forget in which thread it was, but there was a user who has a CGC stand that is UV protected.  There are similar UV protected frames that can be mounted as well.

15 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I forget in which thread it was, but there was a user who has a CGC stand that is UV protected.  There are similar UV protected frames that can be mounted as well.

I bought one of the Comic Mount kits from Amazon,  did it so I could test it out with a slabbed comic mini-me got last weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP1HJQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not really impressed, it does the job.  But I do not feel that it is very safe for what I would want to mount on the wall.  So back to the drawing board for myself.

2 hours ago, Crops068 said:

I bought one of the Comic Mount kits from Amazon,  did it so I could test it out with a slabbed comic mini-me got last weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP1HJQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not really impressed, it does the job.  But I do not feel that it is very safe for what I would want to mount on the wall.  So back to the drawing board for myself.

Here's the stand I was referring to.  There's a way to request UV protection, but it's not showing up in the "Material Type" drop down.

https://cgagrading.com/OnlineStore/AcrylicDisplayCaseStandforCGCGradedComicBooks.html

Here's the wall mount variety, which does offer UV protection acrylic.

https://cgagrading.com/OnlineStore/AcrylicDisplayCaseWallHangerforCGCGradedComicBooks.html

There's also this frame as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Economy-Graded-Comic-Resistant-Acrylic/dp/B01MYOHHQ6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=graded+comic+book+frame&qid=1557457004&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

For sturdier wall mounts, I think your local art supply store (for me that's the chain Michael's) will have a variety of solutions to put your mind at ease.

Edited by ExNihilo

Hi All,

Since I've seen a few posts about people wanting to display their expensive comics on the walls, there is no 100% protection out there but one suggestion to help reduce the amount of UV and heat that might hit your comics I would suggest changing the glass on your windows or changing your windows and to use a LoE Glass, I work in the Window industry in Canada and most house and homes usually have builder grade windows who generally don't use any LoE coated windows they usually just use clear glass, specially basement windows. If you have the money and want a second level of protection as well as adding some energy efficiency and temperature control I would suggest using a High rated LoE glass like LoE366 or Ordinary LowE/hard coat LowE it has a slight colour (greenish) compared to clear glass and there are tools to tell you if your windows have a LoE coating on them as this would help add another level of protection to your displayed comics if you really want to and have to display them. 

Well what does this LoE coating do? it reduced the amount of UV rays and NIR (Heat) light that comes through to help reduce furniture fading, etc... Mind you there is no glass that can completely block UV light, but if you have the source of light blocking like 95% and then you have the Holder talked about in this thread that's adding even more protection.  

I do not work for this company but you can check out the types of LoE glass. 

https://www.cardinalcorp.com/products/coated-glass/loe-366/

Best of luck I still wouldn't display any expensive comics as they will always fade if exposed to light, but hopefully this idea can help reduce the amount of fading, UV damage and Heat damage that your comics if they are displayed get. 

On 3/12/2019 at 5:43 AM, Immortal Hulk said:

I currently have a BCW graded comic book bin to hold my slabs. I cover each book in a 2 mil Mylar graded bag with a flap, and use painters' tape to hold the flap down.

When using the Mylar bags they create a very tight squeeze in the container and obviously take up more room.

I was considering using the 2 mil polypropylene resealable bags since they are more pliable, a flap-less bag, or just leaving them bare. The slabs anyway have to be replaced after every decade no (along with the chamber inserts)?

What have all of you found to be the most convenient and practical when storing your slabs?

I use tyvek paper from work,than 6mil orange poly vapor barrier.

Not only does the tyvek paper,protect from wind,snow,rain,ect ect,but it throws potential thieves off as well,so it actually kills two birds with one stone,not only does it protect my comics from potential elemental damages,it has a fool proof thievery protection element to it as well.

Edited by Hollywood1892
Wasnt finished

23 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Not only does the tyvek paper,protect from wind,snow,rain,ect ect,but it throws potential thieves off as well,so it actually kills two birds with one stone,not only does it protect my comics from potential elemental damages,it has a fool proof thievery protection element to it as well.

Are you storing them on your front lawn in the bad part of town? Why would they need to be disguised against thievery? And how much snow are you getting that it could get to your comics?

58 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Are you storing them on your front lawn in the bad part of town? Why would they need to be disguised against thievery? And how much snow are you getting that it could get to your comics?

It really depends,about the snow,it can get quite chili up here

On 5/12/2019 at 8:41 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

I use tyvek paper from work,than 6mil orange poly vapor barrier.

that's unusual I'm curious to know have you stored your comics like this for a long time. As I am wondering if that paper might cause some damage such as maybe trapping in to much moisture/vapour to cause rusty staples or the chemicals reacting with the staples or the paper to cause damage kind of like the fireproof safe issue that's been talked about on this forum. As I am not very familiar with Tyvek paper (assuming this is the paper that is used as a vapour barrier/insulator in household walls?).

So my question is if you have stored your books long term in this material have you noticed or seen an damage? 

45 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

that's unusual I'm curious to know have you stored your comics like this for a long time. As I am wondering if that paper might cause some damage such as maybe trapping in to much moisture/vapour to cause rusty staples or the chemicals reacting with the staples or the paper to cause damage kind of like the fireproof safe issue that's been talked about on this forum. As I am not very familiar with Tyvek paper (assuming this is the paper that is used as a vapour barrier/insulator in household walls?).

So my question is if you have stored your books long term in this material have you noticed or seen an damage? 

If they are in slabs they are safe.

Raw books can never truly be safe from the threat of time. I would assume slabbed books are protected long term.

I simply store my raw books in long boxes until the appropriate time in which they can be graded.

I enjoy looking at my comics. I appreciate good cover art,so I would like to have easy access to them. And storing them,slabs,in paper and tearing the paper open occassionally makes me feel like I am reliving the event of initial purchase all over again.

14 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

If they are in slabs they are safe.

Raw books can never truly be safe from the threat of time. I would assume slabbed books are protected long term.

I simply store my raw books in long boxes until the appropriate time in which they can be graded.

I enjoy looking at my comics. I appreciate good cover art,so I would like to have easy access to them. And storing them,slabs,in paper and tearing the paper open occassionally makes me feel like I am reliving the event of initial purchase all over again.

That's not true, man.

I would suggest reading up on comics stored in safes, as an example of how a plastic case does nothing to prevent comics from aging and/or chemical reactions.

Comics in encapsulation are no more safe than properly bagged-and-boarded.

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's not true, man.

I would suggest reading up on comics stored in safes, as an example of how a plastic case does nothing to prevent comics from aging and/or chemical reactions.

Comics in encapsulation are no more safe than properly bagged-and-boarded.

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out to me.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:30 AM, Jeffro. said:

The proper environment for paper storage is far more important than whether or not it's entombed in plastic. 

What defines “the proper environment”?

1 minute ago, RobZe said:

What defines “the proper environment”?

I would avoid storing in the heart of a dying star.

Under snowfall is probably a no-no.

Keep away from rain and dirt.

Probably don't spill anything on it.

You may need the Time Stone to revert its exposure to anything that exists (watch out for spacial paradoxes, time loops, etc).

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I would avoid storing in the heart of a dying star.

Under snowfall is probably a no-no.

Keep away from rain and dirt.

Probably don't spill anything on it.

You may need the Time Stone to revert its exposure to anything that exists (watch out for spacial paradoxes, time loops, etc).

Too many posts I didn't read them all...

From experience I believe the sun is the worst enemy so as much as you want its probably not a good idea to display books ever but then again what is the worst that can happen?  You will be a 70 year old dude with some faded books?  Who cares right?

Why the hate on Silver Age books?  I have an FF8 coming soon...

No this post is not about you Twopiece but I wanted you to read it.  Beso

On 3/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, newshane said:

There is nothing wrong with polybags around the slabs. They will eventually yellow, however. It would probably take a long, long time, unless you stick with the cheap "stock CGC" bags. 

The Mylar is much stronger and would hold up better against scratches. Another advantage is the clarity. 

You're right about the fit though. It's not exact with the Gerber product, you'll have some extra material to tuck away, but after you master folding and sealing them just right, I've found that everything fits really nicely in those comic bins. 

I think you're doing everything right in regards to storage. You really can't beat Mylar + acid-free tape + bin. It's actually overkill! 

i think a bag around the slab is smart because after all its still just plastic and will scratch.  I like my corrugated boxes that fit books and slabs.  How far down this rabbit hole can we go?  Smithsonian Level?