• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you store your slabs?
1 1

167 posts in this topic

I put up 5 shelves like what is pictured that holds 4-5 slabbed comics in my den. So i have about 20-25 comics displayed. I rotate them every so often, depends on my mood and if i picked up anything new. I store the rest of slabbed comics in the BCW bins, out of the way.

i put UV film on the french doors that lead into it, its the only source of daylight. Here is the link for UV film:

https://www.amazon.com/Uiter-Blocking-Privacy-Decorate-Windows/dp/B07GKY6N3Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=ONIXVT1AQN4T&keywords=uv+film+for+windows&qid=1557965005&s=gateway&sprefix=uv+film%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-3

No one goes in there without me. I only show friends if they ask nicely..lol. 

I agree with most, I feel the need to display them as pieces of art. I know they still get some rays but its minimal i believe. I am thinking of putting SPF-40 sunscreen on the cases:)

20190515_200147[875].jpg

3 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

How far down this rabbit hole can we go?  Smithsonian Level?

I am more than ready. 

2 hours ago, newshane said:

I am more than ready. 

There is good and there is good enough.  With so many good storage options available now these books are going to outlast us all by 100 years! My books were just in a good quality short box in poly bags and supposedly acid free cardboard.  Stored in a closet in an air conditioned space they seem to have survived 40 years just fine.  I always liked those 4 mil mylars since I was a kid so I put all of my books in them with boards.  I also bought 2 corrugated plastic boxes that will fit both slabs and golden age mylars fine.  I am not really sure about the open top mylars and how they will work over time because they have air flow.  I doubt I got another 40 years in me but you never know...

I am not really sure if the wrinkly poly bags damaged my books but I think they didn't because my newsstand books still look new.  Its just all my back issues that look like oatmeal, no idea why...

Do you realize I have spent more on storage now than the cost of all the books?  That's crazy...

Edited by Karl Liebl

14 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Too many posts I didn't read them all...

From experience I believe the sun is the worst enemy so as much as you want its probably not a good idea to display books ever but then again what is the worst that can happen?  You will be a 70 year old dude with some faded books?  Who cares right?

Why the hate on Silver Age books?  I have an FF8 coming soon...

No this post is not about you Twopiece but I wanted you to read it.  Beso

:facepalm:

On 5/15/2019 at 6:11 PM, Casablanca said:

I put up 5 shelves like what is pictured that holds 4-5 slabbed comics in my den. So i have about 20-25 comics displayed. I rotate them every so often, depends on my mood and if i picked up anything new. I store the rest of slabbed comics in the BCW bins, out of the way.

i put UV film on the french doors that lead into it, its the only source of daylight. Here is the link for UV film:

https://www.amazon.com/Uiter-Blocking-Privacy-Decorate-Windows/dp/B07GKY6N3Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=ONIXVT1AQN4T&keywords=uv+film+for+windows&qid=1557965005&s=gateway&sprefix=uv+film%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-3

No one goes in there without me. I only show friends if they ask nicely..lol. 

I agree with most, I feel the need to display them as pieces of art. I know they still get some rays but its minimal i believe. I am thinking of putting SPF-40 sunscreen on the cases:)

20190515_200147[875].jpg

That looks great!

I am in the fortunate place of having a couple of rooms that are very dark and I'm going to fill 2 or 3 walls with comics.  So far his guy has the closest thing to what I'm envisioning.  I'm a little concerned that the metal tracks he uses might scratch the slabs over time (there is vibration in this environment - that 5150 can move some air! \m/)

4 hours ago, RobZe said:

That looks great!

I am in the fortunate place of having a couple of rooms that are very dark and I'm going to fill 2 or 3 walls with comics.  So far his guy has the closest thing to what I'm envisioning.  I'm a little concerned that the metal tracks he uses might scratch the slabs over time (there is vibration in this environment - that 5150 can move some air! \m/)

The metal tracks are a great idea.  I wonder if you can go to the next size up for tracks and put some sort of padding to prevent any damage?  Or maybe just the graded sleeves would be enough to protect them from unwanted scratching.

1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

The metal tracks are a great idea.  I wonder if you can go to the next size up for tracks and put some sort of padding to prevent any damage?  Or maybe just the graded sleeves would be enough to protect them from unwanted scratching.

I like the idea of a slightly wider track.  Maybe lined with something?  Like felt or some other slightly gripy fabric?