• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you store your slabs?
1 1

167 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:23 PM, Ovrclck said:

It's all good. It's your books. Do as you please :)

If you do I would recommend checking in on them periodically. The book own weight could create damage to the bottom edge, as gravity pushes it against the edge of the inner well. 

I've read the numerous threads on this forum about the topic on how to lie the slabs, and it seems to be inconclusive everywhere.

I feel the safest maybe spine down, although CGC has been quoted on here saying vertical along with cool and dry of course is the way to store. Using bins do make vertical a practical way to go though.

23 minutes ago, AngelClaudio said:

Yeah that makes sense that could happen - so spine down horizontally would probably be the most optimal way of storing them. What say you?

so what some are recommending is to store them laying down flat on the ground like you stack pancakes for example? 

13 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

so what some are recommending is to store them laying down flat on the ground like you stack pancakes for example? 

No spine down, so horizontally with the spine facing down and right hand side (where you would turn the page) facing up.

22 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

This is the worst way simply because the slabs on the bottom would be susceptible to the weight of the slabs on the top, leading to cracking. 

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

If you do I would recommend checking in on them periodically. The book own weight could create damage to the bottom edge, as gravity pushes it against the edge of the inner well. 

I know that you are one of the main proponents of this technique. For the record, I don't think it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's totally necessary either. Have you witnessed this sort of damage before? I know it can harm older books with overhang, but newer books? I'm not that certain. 

I'd say 98% of slabs and raws are stored vertically. Wouldn't we see a lot more damage if your theory was true? 

Just trying to learn here, not bashing your methods. 

1 minute ago, newshane said:

I know that you are one of the main proponents of this technique. For the record, I don't think it's a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's totally necessary either. Have you witnessed this sort of damage before? I know it can harm older books with overhang, but newer books? I'm not that certain. 

I'd say 98% of slabs and raws are stored vertically. Wouldn't we see a lot more damage if your theory was true? 

I don't think anyone has solid evidence of this, as per reading through the forum of similar threads. So at the moment the conventional vertical positioning is the one mostly prescribed by authorities including CGC.

46 minutes ago, newshane said:

I see damage from improper storage all the time. Any book with a slight overhang is very susceptible to this happening. Moderns I would say are at a very low risk, but the risk is almost zero if stored spine down. If you consider the way a comic is produced, the spine side is the strongest and less likely to be damaged due to the book sliding into contact with the case. 

does anyone have a picture of this kind of storage and the box they would use and how?

The BCE 238 bags came in and I found them better than the BCW Mylars. I liked the following about them better:

1. I could pull the flap down and not have extra Mylar I have to fold over from the body over the slab, like the BCWs.
  2. In the BCW Storage Bin, it actually fits smoother when inserting the bagged slab and removing.
  3. The Mylar is still strong but somewhat slightly more pliable in a smooth way then the BCW, feels nicer.

I have attached a picture so you can see, it still does have the "batman ears" on the top corners which I find funny. The slabs both look equally stunning from the Mylar material.

I have ordered an Acrylic Stand from CGA and the Resealable Mylars by Diamond.. I'll let you know how those two pan out, more to come.

bce.JPG

On 3/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, newshane said:

Here is one of my bins...a bit random for now, but nevermind the comics. Check out the way they fit. 

I think it's perfect. Just enough breathing room, and the folds actually prevent the slabs from shifting around too much. 

I wish they would size the bins for Golden or Silver Age raw books. 

bin.jpg

I use one of these as well. Love it.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:38 AM, joeypost said:

I see damage from improper storage all the time. Any book with a slight overhang is very susceptible to this happening. Moderns I would say are at a very low risk, but the risk is almost zero if stored spine down. If you consider the way a comic is produced, the spine side is the strongest and less likely to be damaged due to the book sliding into contact with the case. 

You see damage like that in books that have been slabbed? And the slabs are undamaged as well? 

It sounds more like paranoia than documented reasoning to store the slabs spine down. I mean no judgement if that's the way you want to do it, but I'd like to see some actual evidence/data before I throw out my storage cases. 

On 3/19/2019 at 10:35 AM, Darkowl said:

I use one of these as well. Love it.

I saw how you did this and had to go out and get some of these BCW boxes for the graded and raw books with the dividers