• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you store your slabs?
1 1

167 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Kon_Jelly said:

You see damage like that in books that have been slabbed? And the slabs are undamaged as well? 

It sounds more like paranoia than documented reasoning to store the slabs spine down. I mean no judgement if that's the way you want to do it, but I'd like to see some actual evidence/data before I throw out my storage cases. 

I have yet to see documented proof of damage to books stored vertically in slabs. I'll change my mind when I see pictures. 

38 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

It would be cool to see CGC themselves recommend a way of storing their slabs. After all, they designed them.

Have you read the thread? lol 

The CGC recommends storing them vertically. 

Just started using these. Love 'em! Relatively tough, secure lid with slide "locks", includes one divider that snaps in (they're solid and you can buy  more divders separately).  They are stackable with a peg and hole to keep them stacked. BCW graded bins.

Click here to see them.

20190320_210303.jpg

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

9 hours ago, newshane said:

Have you read the thread? lol 

The CGC recommends storing them vertically. 

I have seen many people saying that CGC recommends it this way but it all seems to be links with conversations about the same things. Is there a link to where CGC somewhere on their site addresses this issue?

So I got the Diamond bags from eBay and for me, these are the best ones so far!

• I can make a perfect flat edge with the flap
  • Looks really good yet pliable (yup made of Mylar still)
  • The resealable adhesive works really well and looks real slick, no more playing with tape

Here are some photos including how it looks in the BCW bin (if you noticed the bagged one in the bin on the far left is the old one, right is the Diamond one):

I still owe you guys a review of the archival stand - waiting to receive mine in the mail!

IMG_20190323_142435.jpg

IMG_20190323_142610.jpg

On 3/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

Just started using these. Love 'em! Relatively tough, secure lid with slide "locks", includes one divider that snaps in (they're solid and you can buy  more divders separately).  They are stackable with a peg and hole to keep them stacked. BCW graded bins.

Click here to see them.

20190320_210303.jpg

I recently made this switch a few months ago and will never turn back. I will add that I definitely don't recommend the bins made for raw books. They're too wide and the issues tend to shift around easily. 

Upright in CGC shortboxes.  I've had slabs for over 10 years and not observed any problem with the bottom front or back covers.  It's not as though the comics have free movement within the inner wells.

16 hours ago, AngelClaudio said:

So I got the Diamond bags from eBay and for me, these are the best ones so far!

• I can make a perfect flat edge with the flap
  • Looks really good yet pliable (yup made of Mylar still)
  • The resealable adhesive works really well and looks real slick, no more playing with tape

Here are some photos including how it looks in the BCW bin (if you noticed the bagged one in the bin on the far left is the old one, right is the Diamond one):

I still owe you guys a review of the archival stand - waiting to receive mine in the mail!

Bags from "CGC-Mylars" are NOT made of Mylar. There have been many threads surrounding their false advertisement. 

I know this for a fact because I purchased a ton of those bags back in the day. 

They are actually the same product that is sold by CLEARBAGS. The only difference is the price. You will pay 2x or 3x as much by ordering through "CGC-Mylars" on eBay! Ripoff! 

Don't get me wrong, it is a GREAT product. It fits perfectly and looks good. But it is NOT true Mylar. Compare hand in hand with the Gerber product, and you will easily see the difference. 

You will notice that "CGC-Mylars" say "Mylar MATERIAL." The product is actually made of Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP), which is NOT Mylar. 

They keep getting away with this deception. Unfortunate. 

When you compare the price difference you are paying through eBay, you'll get sick to your stomach. 

Edited by newshane

Just look at the difference! 

CGC-Mylars on eBay is charing $17.56 for 20 bags. 

The distributor (Clearbags) is selling a pack of 100 bags for $8.10

Exact...same...bags. :facepalm:

Here is one link of many on the subject:

Here

Just Google CGC froums + CGC Mylars clearbags 

Edited by newshane

12 minutes ago, newshane said:

Bags from "CGC-Mylars" are NOT made of Mylar. There have been many threads surrounding their false advertisement. 

I know this for a fact because I purchased a ton of those bags back in the day. 

They are actually the same product that is sold by CLEARBAGS. The only difference is the price. You will pay 2x or 3x as much by ordering through "CGC-Mylars" on eBay! Ripoff! 

Don't get me wrong, it is a GREAT product. It fits perfectly and looks good. But it is NOT true Mylar. Compare hand in hand with the Gerber product, and you will easily see the difference. 

You will notice that "CGC-Mylars" say "Mylar MATERIAL." The product is actually made of Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP), which is NOT Mylar. 

They keep getting away with this deception. Unfortunate. 

When you compare the price difference you are paying through eBay, you'll get sick to your stomach. 

8 minutes ago, newshane said:

Just look at the difference! 

CGC-Mylars on eBay is charing $17.56 for 20 bags. 

The distributor (Clearbags) is selling a pack of 100 bags for $8.10

Exact...same...bags. :facepalm:

Hey newshane, a big thanks for the insight! Thankfully I only purchased a very small quantity as I was just testing them out, and yes I totally agree it's very misleading if what you're saying is true.

Also I've learned that irrespective if it's not Mylar I guess I prefer the material Diamond uses - will reach out to them and confirm.

What I don't understand is I checked your reference to the Clear Bags web site, but they seem to be advertising their own proprietary product - while the ones I purchased are of a "Diamond" product. When I asked another seller what graded comic bags he used he also quoted "Diamond". Are you sure they're both the same product (not questioning what they're made of or etc.)? I'm going to research this more of course and update as I get answers.

4 minutes ago, AngelClaudio said:

Hey newshane, a big thanks for the insight! Thankfully I only purchased a very small quantity as I was just testing them out, and yes I totally agree it's very misleading if what you're saying is true.

Also I've learned that irrespective if it's not Mylar I guess I prefer the material Diamond uses - will reach out to them and confirm.

What I don't understand is I checked your reference to the Clear Bags web site, but they seem to be advertising their own proprietary product - while the ones I purchased are of a "Diamond" product. When I asked another seller what graded comic bags he used he also quoted "Diamond". Are you sure they're both the same product (not questioning what they're made of or etc.)? I'm going to research this more of course and update as I get answers.

They are indeed the exact same product. A few years ago, I compared their products side by side in-hand. Same thing. 

I actually *really* like the "Diamond" bags...the material is clear and much easier to fold, as you mentioned. 

Just understand that it is not Mylar...even the word Mylar is trademarked - it is a very specific composition. As stated, the Diamond/Clearbags product is BOPP (10% recycled). 

If this is not a concern, I wouldn't worry....but save yourself some money by buying from Clearbags! You're getting ripped off on eBay

There is more than one thread about this on the boards. Google it up and start reading. 

DISCLAIMER - I am not involved, nor have I ever been involved, in the manufacture or selling of comic book storage materials. I have no personal contact or influence with any of the companies or products mentioned here. I am simply a consumer. For the record, I did use the Diamond/Clearbag product. I had over 400 slabs sitting in those bags at one point. Now I buy legal-sized Mylars from E. Gerber. They are more cumbersome to fold...as Mylar SHOULD be. It's a very, very strong material (more tensile strength than STEEL). 

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

"Diamond" is just a BS name that the eBay sellers invented. 

lol wow ok cool, yes on my second purchase of graded comic bags I will def. purchase from Clear Bags, hopefully it is the same exact thing and then I save some money.

Of course for the raws I will always use Mylar and full backs, since they need as much protection as possible.

I wonder, do you think these sellers just purchase from Clear Bags and resell or go to a producer and just make an identical product and up sell? They probably can get away with the former since there are no trademarks on the bag, but I'm very curious now.

Edited by AngelClaudio
spell check

Click HERE to find the exact same bag for less than the one's being fraudulently advertised on eBay as Mylar products. 

I was looking at the wrong sizes when I posted earlier. 

You can get 100 for $14.15 by going through Clearbags. 

Or...you can buy 120 ffrom eBay right now for a cost of $54.26!!! :whatthe:

I suggest that you buy from Clearbags and do a comparison. 

As far as their modus operandi, I have no clue. It wouldn't be fair or wise to speculate. All I'm saying is that their product is NOT Mylar, and they have gotten away with false advertising on eBay for a long time. 

Here is video of the Clearbag product. 

Now, watch it and tell me if we're not dealing with the exact same product. 

Edited by newshane
added second video

Many thanks for the tips!  I just bought 3 of the BCW boxes with inserts.

I'm wondering if I am using the wrong storage bags?  Someone sent me a CGC book early in my collecting and it had these "mylar-like" and very clear sealable covers.  They claim to be "archival quality" but who knows?  Anyway, I do like the seal and the books look great in them.   But should I be concerned for any reason?

They are listed on eBay as (100) CGC BAGS CRYSTAL CLEAR 1.6 MIL RESEALABLE DISPLAY BAG SLEEVES for $29.  They were listed for "or Best Offer" so I offered up $26 and he accepted.  Seemed like a decent deal as long as they are safe for CGC comics.

So one last thought on all this craziness about caring for the collectables.   Over the past year, I have bought about 50 graded Signature Series books, many signed in 2012-2013.    The books are all in perfect shape.   I cannot believe that for the past 6-7 years these have had the same TLC that I am going to give them (humidity control; sealed bags).   It makes me think that the books are reasonably well protected by the slabs or wouldn't some of these 6-7 year old books start to show some issues?

Edited by BladeTX

16 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Many thanks for the tips!  I just bought 3 of the BCW boxes with inserts.

I'm wondering if I am using the wrong storage bags?  Someone sent me a CGC book early in my collecting and it had these "mylar-like" and very clear sealable covers.  They claim to be "archival quality" but who knows?  Anyway, I do like the seal and the books look great in them.   But should I be concerned for any reason?

They are listed on eBay as (100) CGC BAGS CRYSTAL CLEAR 1.6 MIL RESEALABLE DISPLAY BAG SLEEVES for $29.  They were listed for "or Best Offer" so I offered up $26 and he accepted.  Seemed like a decent deal as long as they are safe for CGC comics.

So one last thought on all this craziness about caring for the collectables.   Over the past year, I have bought about 50 graded Signature Series books, many signed in 2012-2013.    The books are all in perfect shape.   I cannot believe that for the past 6-7 years these have had the same TLC that I am going to give them (humidity control; sealed bags).   It makes me think that the books are reasonably well protected by the slabs or wouldn't some of these 6-7 year old books start to show some issues?

Hi BladeTx, those bags are fine they are just not as firm as Mylars - but that shouldn't be a concern since they are already in slabs, you probably just want to protect the slabs from scratches, dust, light stuff. 

I believe the slabs should be re-holdered after about a decade, mostly to replace the inserts behind the cover pages.