• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you store your slabs?
1 1

167 posts in this topic

Question what's the purpose of putting a CGC slabbed book into a Mylar bag and sealing it I understand raw books being stored in the mylar etc. but what purpose does the mylar serve for a graded book I thought getting it graded helps protect it as well where you would not need a Mylar bag. 

Also so confused about the debate about storing them staples can the comics shift in the slab? 

5 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Question what's the purpose of putting a CGC slabbed book into a Mylar bag and sealing it I understand raw books being stored in the mylar etc. but what purpose does the mylar serve for a graded book I thought getting it graded helps protect it as well where you would not need a Mylar bag. 

Also so confused about the debate about storing them staples can the comics shift in the slab? 

OK Krishosein, I'll take the easy ones here since I have spent some time on this the past year getting up to speed on CGC.  CGC slabs are not sonically sealed like graded coins which are 100% airtight.   I've heard that because comic paper gives off gasses over time, the CGC slabs are not completely sealed so these are gradually released and won't negatively affect the book.  Hence the nightmare staple post I put prior in this thread.   I did hear about someone having slabs submerged in water for a bit but water did not enter.   Obviously the graded slab provides a high degree of protection, just not 100%.   If I am wrong, someone please correct me.   I use Mylar not to create a secondary seal so much but to protect the slabs themselves.  The plastic can be scratched fairly easily so I want to keep my slabs looking new.  Mylar is very optically clear so it's good option for this.     

Re: Comics shifting in slabs, I have not yet experienced that with the 50 or so graded books I have purchased but lots of people have experienced SCS - Shaken Comic Syndrome during shipping.  I'm not sure what damage is created but it's not good. My knowledge on this is limited.

18 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I am a newbie here.  What is a BCW bin?  I bought some plastic CGC holder boxes that store about 25 each.  Is that safe?  This is for the books that are not locked up.   It too use sealed mylar with the edges sealed.

A BCW Bin is just a plastic case made by BCW that holds either comics or graded comics (there's one for each). They are pretty cool, they have latch doors on the top that can be locked. You can order these on Amazon, just search BCW Bin for comics.

5 hours ago, BladeTX said:

I did hear about someone having slabs submerged in water for a bit but water did not enter. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.   I

Actually, the water DID enter and it ruined the comic inside. 

I ran this experiment, took pictures, and posted about it in my old journal. 

The slabs are not air-tight by any means. As you noted, however, the inner welds are sealed with a sonic welder. 

7 minutes ago, AngelClaudio said:

A BCW Bin is just a plastic case made by BCW that holds either comics or graded comics (there's one for each). They are pretty cool, they have latch doors on the top that can be locked. You can order these on Amazon, just search BCW Bin for comics.

They are super sweet. :)

Way better than the cardboard boxes or the old corrugated plastic boxes that I used in the past. 

5 hours ago, Krishosein said:

You are completely right, the slab is definitely a huge barrier of protection, not to mention so is the Mylar the comic is encased in inside the chamber plus the inserts they put in the comics. I believe for most collectors including myself the extra Mylar bag is used to protect the slab from finger prints, scratches, etc.. Additionally in my opinion the Mylar bag makes the whole presentation look more shiny and presentable. For example the slabs I show case get handled by others or myself to appreciate the art work close up. After a while the Mylar may get a bunch of finger prints, dust, and you just replace the bag. I think maintenance wise it's easier and again, it looks pretty nice visually in the Mylar. 

21 hours ago, newshane said:

OP - I wrote a gigantic article about this. You might be able to find it through the search function or google. It's basically just a meta-analysis - a consensus of what paper storage experts suggest.  

I use the same method that you do. I am quite happy with the slabs sitting inside of E. Gerber Mylar, and those resting inside the BCW comic bin. The only difference is that I use two-sided, acid-free tape to seal the Mylar. In my opinion, that method is about as good as it gets. I really like the bins. 

newshane I'll have to update this thread once I recieve the BCE 238 Mylars, I suspect they will be a better fit. Practically speaking though, I might start doing away with the Mylar bags. Between the CGC protection and them being stored in the BCW bin or showcased inside my glass door case, it's plenty of protection until I do the reholder for the cases (every decade I think?). Will keep the thread updated.

Question what's the purpose of putting a CGC slabbed book into a Mylar bag and sealing it 

It protects the slab from scratches. That's important because the slab is part of the overall presentation. Also, damaged slabs can lead to loss of resale and disappointed eBay customers who will try to con you into reholder fees or partial refunds. 

This theory arose due a concern over older comics with overhanging covers. Some people believe that the force of gravity will eventually cause the cover to pull away from the staples. I didn't find much evidence of this back when I was doing my research, but that doesn't mean it's never happened.Storing slabs staple-side-down is largely a precautionary measure. The CGC claims it's not necessary, and they will not grade books with severe overhang anyway. 

I don't think it hurts to store them either way, as long as you don't start stacking the slabs vertically. It certainly doesn't HURT the books to store them spine side down, but I doubt a relatively modern comic would pull away from the staples, at least not in our lifetimes. 

And yes, comics can shift inside the slab due to poor encapsulation (happens more often than it should) or by significant impacts at certain angles (shaken comic syndrome). 

I encourage everyone with questions to consider reading my article. I address all of this stuff in great detail. 

1 minute ago, AngelClaudio said:

newshane I'll have to update this thread once I recieve the BCE 238 Mylars, I suspect they will be a better fit. Practically speaking though, I might start doing away with the Mylar bags. Between the CGC protection and them being stored in the BCW bin or showcased inside my glass door case, it's plenty of protection until I do the reholder for the cases (every decade I think?). Will keep the thread updated.

There is nothing wrong with polybags around the slabs. They will eventually yellow, however. It would probably take a long, long time, unless you stick with the cheap "stock CGC" bags. 

The Mylar is much stronger and would hold up better against scratches. Another advantage is the clarity. 

You're right about the fit though. It's not exact with the Gerber product, you'll have some extra material to tuck away, but after you master folding and sealing them just right, I've found that everything fits really nicely in those comic bins. 

I think you're doing everything right in regards to storage. You really can't beat Mylar + acid-free tape + bin. It's actually overkill! 

12 hours ago, csaag said:

Are the boxes sold by Hotflips, for graded comics, acid free?

Furthermore, if you have a comic in the case, then in a mylar, does it matter if the box is acid free or not?

Not sure about Hotflips. I've never used their products. I buy my Mylars direct from Gerber. Hmmm...actually I think I did buy a pack of Gerbers from them before but...back to the next question. 

No. If you have a slab sitting in Mylar then it doesn't matter if the box is acid free or not. 

Folks should remember the Church collection. Some of the finest books from the Golden Age survived without bags and boards or Mylar...they were stacked in piles in some dude's basement. Quite a few examples out there with WHITE page quality...70 and 80 year old books! At least one of them was even a 9.9 IIRC!!!

I think some of these companies are profiting off of people's paranoia and neuroses, to be quite honest. I just enjoy the preservation aspect of the hobby the same as any other aspect (grading, organization, etc.). If you have the extra money and want the very best for your paper, why not go to the millionth degree? I kind of enjoy it...

but don't fall prey to the marketing hype that your books will turn to dust in 30 years unless you use brand _____(x)_____. 

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

There is nothing wrong with polybags around the slabs. They will eventually yellow, however. It would probably take a long, long time, unless you stick with the cheap "stock CGC" bags. 

The Mylar is much stronger and would hold up better against scratches. Another advantage is the clarity. 

You're right about the fit though. It's not exact with the Gerber product, you'll have some extra material to tuck away, but after you master folding and sealing them just right, I've found that everything fits really nicely in those comic bins. 

I think you're doing everything right in regards to storage. You really can't beat Mylar + acid-free tape + bin. It's actually overkill! 

lol thanks for that. Yeah I do the whole tucking thing at the moment - I do find it's a tight squeeze in the BCW graded bin though. If I'm putting any type of bag on it, I have to go Mylar just for the way it beautifully presents the art work. Might be a placebo effect, but I feel the Mylar almost heightens the art a big lol 

1 minute ago, AngelClaudio said:

lol thanks for that. Yeah I do the whole tucking thing at the moment - I do find it's a tight squeeze in the BCW graded bin though. If I'm putting any type of bag on it, I have to go Mylar just for the way it beautifully presents the art work. Might be a placebo effect, but I feel the Mylar almost heightens the art a big lol 

I may try to get a picture soon...

Here is one of my bins...a bit random for now, but nevermind the comics. Check out the way they fit. 

I think it's perfect. Just enough breathing room, and the folds actually prevent the slabs from shifting around too much. 

I wish they would size the bins for Golden or Silver Age raw books. 

bin.jpg

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Here is one of my bins...a bit random for now, but nevermind the comics. Check out the way they fit. 

I think it's perfect. Just enough breathing room, and the folds actually prevent the slabs from shifting around too much. 

bin.jpg

Yup that's how mine is as well. I find the squeeze a bit tight on the sides, like when you pull them out the Mylar does brush against the sides a bit much for my taste.

4 hours ago, AngelClaudio said:

Many thanks for the tip - will definitely check it out!

4 hours ago, newshane said:

Actually, the water DID enter and it ruined the comic inside. 

I ran this experiment, took pictures, and posted about it in my old journal. 

The slabs are not air-tight by any means. As you noted, however, the inner welds are sealed with a sonic welder. 

I stand corrected! But if the inner wells are sonically sealed, how does water or air pass through?

4 hours ago, newshane said:

bin.jpg

How many graded books can these hold?   The Amazon listing says 30 but I am skeptical.  Maybe 30 slabbed without Mylar all stacked together? How many do they hold when designed as above?

On 3/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, BladeTX said:

OK Krishosein, I'll take the easy ones here since I have spent some time on this the past year getting up to speed on CGC.  CGC slabs are not sonically sealed like graded coins which are 100% airtight.   I've heard that because comic paper gives off gasses over time, the CGC slabs are not completely sealed so these are gradually released and won't negatively affect the book.  Hence the nightmare staple post I put prior in this thread.   I did hear about someone having slabs submerged in water for a bit but water did not enter.   Obviously the graded slab provides a high degree of protection, just not 100%.   If I am wrong, someone please correct me.   I use Mylar not to create a secondary seal so much but to protect the slabs themselves.  The plastic can be scratched fairly easily so I want to keep my slabs looking new.  Mylar is very optically clear so it's good option for this.     

Re: Comics shifting in slabs, I have not yet experienced that with the 50 or so graded books I have purchased but lots of people have experienced SCS - Shaken Comic Syndrome during shipping.  I'm not sure what damage is created but it's not good. My knowledge on this is limited.

cool thanks for the info

On 3/14/2019 at 11:37 PM, BladeTX said:

I stand corrected! But if the inner wells are sonically sealed, how does water or air pass through?

..”To further protect books from the natural off-gassing that releases acidic molecules over time, CGC has a secure sonic seal that is NOT airtight so that acidic molecules are not trapped inside the holder.”

is what CGC says