The fallacy of "IH181 is overvalued/overpriced"
5 5

272 posts in this topic

3,249 posts
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Who...? (shrug)

YOU!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,150 posts
2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

YOU!

 

Wow. Whoever this RMA fellow is, he must be pretty excited about being in the phonebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
176 posts
20 hours ago, Spideyham said:

What everyone is overlooking is that there are millions of new collectors out there introduced to comics thanks to all the superhero movies.   That being said, the amount of Hulk 181s out there isn't enough to satisfy all the new collectors. 

Image result for there dozens of us gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,249 posts
Posted (edited)

Wouldn't that be incredible if, because of these movies, millions of new collectors/readers really were created. Millions and millions hungry for good fun stories & art in a physical comic book. Millions and millions searching out back issues. :sorry:

Edited by NoMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,496 posts
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2019 at 3:01 PM, NoMan said:

Dad's stamp/coin

coin collections are extremely liquid and easy to sell ... almost any coin shop or dealer will individually price things out and buy the whole collection down to the very last wheat cent

Edited by 1950's war comics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,496 posts

coin collecting may be on a downturn now but it is never going away like stamps have...

right now if someone wants to buy an average grade common date Walking Liberty half dollar (which is a beautiful coin) from a coin shop they can get one for about $6.50

if they want to sell that very same coin tomorrow the shop will buy it back at $5.25  

classic gold coins are also beautiful and the difference between buying and selling them is often as little as a 5-10% mark up

comics are very hard to sell and often times you may only get 10%-30% on the dollar

try buying a $6.50 comic from an LCS one day and see what they offer you when you go back to sell it the next day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,249 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

coin collecting may be on a downturn now but it is never going away like stamps have...

right now if someone wants to buy an average grade common date Walking Liberty half dollar (which is a beautiful coin) from a coin shop they can get one for about $6.50

if they want to sell that very same coin tomorrow the shop will buy it back at $5.25  

classic gold coins are also beautiful and the difference between buying and selling them is often as little as a 5-10% mark up

comics are very hard to sell and often times you may only get 10%-30% on the dollar

try buying a $6.50 comic from an LCS one day and see what they offer you when you go back to sell it the next day...

I believe you. I was pretty much just talking out of my rear end through most of that diatribe. However, my farts can often be correct smelling and blow in the right direction, just like that Bob Dylan song.  Makes sense with the coins, I guess. Money is money. Every coin shop I've been in, with the exception of the one I've been meaning to go into in Sugarland, TX when I'm there, has two old guys smoking cigarettes shooting the sh*t with dust everywhere, nothing touched for years by the looks of it.  

Come to think of it, the one in Virginia I used to go into, that old cigarette guy always had a wad of cash in his pocket to buy coins with. I guess coins maybe was the smarter hobby. I collected for awhile, but as a kid when I got a hold of some Frank Miller Daredevil, I didn't care much about staring at wheat pennies anymore. 

However, oddly enough, with the advent of Home Shopping Networks, I used to love to get high and watch this home shopping show called The Coin Vault, I think. These two guys would scream at the top of their lungs while hawking "one-of-a-kind" coin collectables. Sometimes I would call the 800 number and if the operator that answered was female, I'd try to get a date. 

I think this might be it:

 

Edited by NoMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,496 posts
14 hours ago, NoMan said:

two old guys smoking cigarettes shooting the sh*t with dust everywhere, nothing touched for years by the looks of it.  

 

 

My dream retirement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,827 posts
15 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

coin collecting may be on a downturn now but it is never going away like stamps have...

right now if someone wants to buy an average grade common date Walking Liberty half dollar (which is a beautiful coin) from a coin shop they can get one for about $6.50

if they want to sell that very same coin tomorrow the shop will buy it back at $5.25  

classic gold coins are also beautiful and the difference between buying and selling them is often as little as a 5-10% mark up

comics are very hard to sell and often times you may only get 10%-30% on the dollar

try buying a $6.50 comic from an LCS one day and see what they offer you when you go back to sell it the next day...

but modern off the shelf comics and coins are very different...

comics are first an entertainment item. if you read it, youve gotten value out of it, so that $4 you invested has paid off in some amount (depending on how you value that entertainment).

and yes if you were to turn around and sell that comic back you wouldnt get much. Its akin to selling back a mass marketed paperback book to a used book store. 

Coins on the other hand arent entertainment, theyre currency and/or metals. Metala that in some case have their own value. These things keep their intrinsic value higher than a comic and thus dealers are more willing to buy them back at a higher rate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46,783 posts

I have the first coin ever made its about 1 Kg of gold and in pristine condn is it worth anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,782 posts
On 3/15/2019 at 9:00 PM, Spideyham said:

What everyone is overlooking is that there are millions of new collectors out there introduced to comics thanks to all the superhero movies.   That being said, the amount of Hulk 181s out there isn't enough to satisfy all the new collectors. 

I don't think there are millions of new modern collectors.  I can't say for sure but I gather from reading on the boards that LCSs are struggling.  I personally am a HUGE comic fan, however I don't visit my LCS more than a couple of times a year (I should).  I just buy trade paperbacks off of ebay for any title I'm interested in (I recently bought a ton of Miles Morales TPBs because I loved the Spiderverse movie and wanted to learn more about him).

I wonder though..... if the movies are bringing in more collectors to the back issue (key issue) market.  Even if the modern market is struggling, If there are enough young fans starting to collect older copper/bronze/silver/gold then won't that make the overall hobby sustainable?  My daughter has been sucked in.  She's not buying moderns but she's buying older comics.  My son hasn't been fully sucked in to collecting, but he asked me to find him an ASM 1 and an Xmen 1 about 8 years ago when he had some extra money (I got him an ASM 1 5.0 & an Xmen 1 6.0.... he still has them).

maybe that's the lesson for us older collectors... if nothing else let's get out wn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,168 posts
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, miraclemet said:

but modern off the shelf comics and coins are very different...

comics are first an entertainment item. if you read it, youve gotten value out of it, so that $4 you invested has paid off in some amount (depending on how you value that entertainment).

and yes if you were to turn around and sell that comic back you wouldnt get much. Its akin to selling back a mass marketed paperback book to a used book store. 

Coins on the other hand arent entertainment, theyre currency and/or metals. Metala that in some case have their own value. These things keep their intrinsic value higher than a comic and thus dealers are more willing to buy them back at a higher rate..

I wonder how collectible stamps figure into this? It's obviously not a precious metal or legal tender nor entertainment. I assume it'll depend on the stamp but if you go to a stamp dealer with the stamp equivalent of say...a high grade FF48 or IH181 in terms of census #'s & market demand (if there is an equivalent) what value return could be expected? I'm guessing it'll be closer to what you'd expect with a comic.

Anyways how the heck did climate denialism of all things somehow work it's way into this thread??? This thing has wildly gone off the rails! BTW IH 181 is not overvalued imo. If it was then the market would have corrected itself across all grades by now 2c

Edited by MGsimba77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
530 posts
On 3/16/2019 at 6:10 PM, NoMan said:

Wouldn't that be incredible if, because of these movies, millions of new collectors/readers really were created. Millions and millions hungry for good fun stories & art in a physical comic book. Millions and millions searching out back issues. :sorry:

If that was the case then hulk 181 would probably be hundreds of thousands of dollars even in low grade  :ohnoez:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,298 posts
Posted (edited)

What's funny is that people have been accusing Hulk 181 of being overpriced for how many years now? hm

Edited by Darkowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,298 posts
Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2019 at 5:49 PM, Mercury Man said:

Disney now has the rights, so now if there is a new X-Men movie, then the price will go up even more....uh...why?    We've seen Wolverine in X-Men movies since what, the year 2000. 

Because of the potential significance that is added to the characters when they are brought to new heights. This is mainly speculation right now, but given Disney's track record, this outcome is likely.

Yes, Wolverine is popular. Yes, we've seen him in movies since 2000, however, Disney will probably make him (and the rest of the X-Men) even more popular. This isn't going to be just another series of half decent X-Men movies that FOX butchered in so many ways, because it's Disney this time around, and people are expecting a new dawn and a new era for the X-Men, something we haven't seen before. This is what the speculation is all about, and is what's driving up the value right now.

It's not just Hulk 181 either. The major X keys are all going up in value, and if Disney's X-Men films are successful (and they probably will be) this increase will not only be sustainable, but will also become the new norm. 

 

Edited by Darkowl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
723 posts

Doesn’t have to be an mcu movie either...they could go with spider verse type movies to start in the vein of the old X-men animated series. Can you imagine the amount of action figures disney willl sell? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27,547 posts
11 hours ago, Darkowl said:

What's funny is that people have been accusing Hulk 181 of being overpriced for how many years now? hm

Just like how we hear every year how there is superhero movie fatigue from the same crowd, but yet Aquaman just did one billion worldwide at the box office, while Captain Marvel should be at over a billion in a week or two.

If both Aquaman and Captain Marvel could both pull off a billion dollars at the box office than it`s seems a certainty that the Disney Marvel  X-Men and Wolverine movies will able do it as well.

I can just imagine the hype Hulk #181 gets right before the first Marvel/Disney movie.

So we can expect another bump up for Hulk # 181 and X-Men #1 before thier new Disney/Marvel movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,329 posts

I don't understand why movie hype affects comic value.

Educated guess says: Broader audience to collect memorabilia..?

Almost doesn't make sense to me, but... If a playing card designer makes a V2 deck, sometimes the V1 hikes in price because of "completists".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,298 posts
19 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't understand why movie hype affects comic value.

Educated guess says: Broader audience to collect memorabilia..?

Almost doesn't make sense to me, but... If a playing card designer makes a V2 deck, sometimes the V1 hikes in price because of "completists".

Because movies can make characters more popular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,329 posts
Just now, Darkowl said:

Because movies can make characters more popular. 

I mean, it makes sense, but it also doesn't make sense... Y'know? Maybe you don't. Hell, I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5