• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many submissions does it take to get to the center of a 9.9 or perfect 10?
2 2

59 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Like do they check for these 9.8/9.6/9.4 comics for fingerprints or finger bends on the inside before they grade?

I cant believe they read every 10.0 candidate-is it possible some jokester has a 7.5 in a 10.0 holder cause he turned every I in the book to a T with a pen?  

Just now, Darkowl said:

@kav It's kinda funny though, because there is another 9.9 on the census with one less sig, and it went for $1750. Should I try to erase one of the sigs on mine? :bigsmile:

I would.  That sig is persona non grata I guess.

The very first submission I ever made was in 2005. I received one 9.9.

One more in 2006.

And my final one was in 2012.

That was the end.

I've submitted about 1,500+ books. Of those, there were some that were flawless and they came back 9.8. There are also some on the questionable side and many of those also came back 9.8. Pre-screen is your friend.

The people that are saying that CGC purposely holds back the number of 9.9 and 10.0 all I can say is if they want a company that throws out more of those maybe try PGX.

28 minutes ago, kav said:

The people that are saying that CGC purposely holds back the number of 9.9 and 10.0 all I can say is if they want a company that throws out more of those maybe try PGX.

There may be truth in that. It is a controlled economy. CGC won't dispense the 9.9 grade liberally.

Sometime I ponder... What If 9.9 becomes the new 9.8?  :whatthe:

Just now, letsgrumble said:

There may be truth in that. It is a controlled economy. CGC won't dispense the 9.9 grade liberally.

I dont believe they would purposely do that.  Ok these books are both the exact same condition but lets only give one the 9.9 to hold back the numbers.  Thats conspiracy stuff.

I would love for a CGC grader to lay out 5 books, and tell us 1 is 10.0, 2 are 9.9, and 2 are 9.8.  And then have us guess.  Then have him/her explain how they came to the conclusion.   I bet the differences between the 10.0 to the 9.9 and then the 9.9 to the 9.8 would be imperceptible to the point of insanity. 

I have a Spawn #1 in 9.8 from CGC.  It's perfect.  If you put it in a 9.9 or 10.0 nobody would dispute. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I would love for a CGC grader to lay out 5 books, and tell us 1 is 10.0, 2 are 9.9, and 2 are 9.8.  And then have us guess.  Then have him/her explain how they came to the conclusion.   I bet the differences between the 10.0 to the 9.9 and then the 9.9 to the 9.8 would be imperceptible to the point of insanity. 

I have a Spawn #1 in 9.8 from CGC.  It's perfect.  If you put it in a 9.9 or 10.0 nobody would dispute. 

This would be an excellent move on CGC's part to quell all the rumors.

1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

That can't happen, of course. ;) There are 1.575 million 9.8s. There are 16k 9.9s. It would take 10-15 years, starting now, for that sort of flip to happen. CGC controls 9.9 and 10 for a reason: they didn't want the comic community thinking they were too loose. It's not a bad business plan, but it obviously can swing to the extreme.

Pay no attention to the "disagreeing just to disagree" especially those who don't even submit. Not much value in no experience. 

On the one hand you have CGC grading and me saying they are legitimate grades.  On the other hand you have someone saying "CGC controls 9.9 and 10 for a reason" and " looking at the distribution of grades, the 9.9s and 10s are clearly, obviously artificially low".  Dont see where whether or not I do any submitting myself factors into the equation.  You don't need to play for the NBA, to understand how basketball works.    It makes me more objective, if anything, than someone whose bottom line gets affected by not getting the grades they want.   

If someone thinks CGC isn't giving legitimate grades, find another grading company.  Saying "I want you to run YOUR company, MY way" is a bit pointless.

Edited by kav

Those of us (and I suspect it's a lot) who have actually opened the boxes fresh from Diamond realize that it's a miracle if a book shows up on the stands NM or better. I think the paper stock of the books goes a long way towards how well they stand up to shipping damage, which is why Prestige Format books and cardstock covers seem to hit 9.9/10 more often than their floppier brethren (anecdotal observation. I'll let the resident stats guys confirm or debunk that.) That being said, of the couple hundred books I've subbed (I've never been a big subber, even less since the switch to the new case, newton rings, books getting damaged, etc) I've had exactly one 9.9 come back, and it was a Valiant Unity 1 platinum.  And as far as I recall, that was a "normal" paper stock book. So who knows?

My PERSONAL preference would be if a book is "perfect" to the naked eye, it's a 9.8, and 9.9's and 10's would be reserved for those "perfect" books that also exhibit superior qualities, like perfect registration, centering, wrap, etc. But it's not up to me. I've seen 9.8's riddled with spine dings, and I've seen books that appeared flawless routinely hit 9.6/9.8. Then again, I'm not looking at the books with a microscope.

11 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I'd like to see this as well, but what are the odds another grader would have the same grades?

I don't think it's a conspiracy but from a business standpoint, the gambling fallacy makes more sense.

It is/Can be an addictive hobby.

Edited by HighRadArt

17 hours ago, Darkowl said:
17 hours ago, kav said:

Wow whats the value of a book like that?

There's only 2 on the census (not including mine). One sold for $925, while the other sold for $1100. I paid $700 for mine though.

If we're talking about the CGC 9.9 Back to the Future #1 variant with signatures, there are 75 of them.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Back:Future:JJ:/label/all/orderby/alphabetical/census/190312/

40 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If we're talking about the CGC 9.9 Back to the Future #1 variant with signatures, there are 75 of them.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Back:Future:JJ:/label/all/orderby/alphabetical/census/190312/

That doesn't show who signed the books. The GPA Census does though, which is what I was referring to.

I'm honestly not sure how many 9.9's in existence have those same signatures. Far less than 75 though. 

Edited by Darkowl