• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Public Service Announcement: Donating Your OA to Museums

18 posts in this topic

Public Service Announcement: Donating Your OA to Museums*

(click on link above)

*TL;DR summary:  They don't want or have room for your stuff, unless your name is _________________ (insert name of BSD collector here), and, even then, only the best of the best of the best stuff (AF #15 complete story = good; Humberto Ramos ASM panel pages = not so much).  But, hey, that's OK, because now you can stop fantasizing about becoming the first philanthropist to donate a bunch of Dazzler and ROM pages to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and instead plan on selling or gifting your collection for the benefit of your heirs or your favorite charities. :foryou: 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

(click on link above)

*TL;DR summary:  They don't want or have room for your stuff, unless your name is _________________ (insert name of BSD collector here), and, even then, only the best of the best of the best stuff (AF #15 complete story = good; Humberto Ramos ASM panel pages = not so much).  But, hey, that's OK, because now you can stop fantasizing about becoming the first philanthropist to donate a bunch of Dazzler and ROM pages to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and instead plan on selling or gifting your collection for the benefit of your heirs or your favorite charities. :foryou: 

If I can't afford a NYT sub to get around the paywall to read this article does that likely mean I am not part of the donation club ;)

1 minute ago, cstojano said:

If I can't afford a NYT sub to get around the paywall to read this article does that likely mean I am not part of the donation club ;)

Nah, you just have your priorities straight. Comic Art more important that knowing what is going on in the world.

29 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I think you can also give it to Goodwill Industries and take a tax deduction on the FMV. That may be a good way to get rid of things, too.

17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

(click on link above)

I would stick to local, regional museums who might want to add this kind of art to help attract foot traffic. 

17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

(click on link above)

Or, you can donate the art to a college entrance exam scammer's "charity" to get your kid admitted to Yale on a women's soccer scholarship. :idea::wink:

I've read where some collections (non-comic art) were bequeathed to a museum or university on the condition that the collection is never broken up (and/or sold off).  And then years later, it's discovered the collection was no longer intact due to fundraising or whatever..

38 minutes ago, Will_K said:

I've read where some collections (non-comic art) were bequeathed to a museum or university on the condition that the collection is never broken up (and/or sold off).  And then years later, it's discovered the collection was no longer intact due to fundraising or whatever..

IIRC that involved Stephens Institute of Technology (across the river from Manhattan). Donor wishes are rarely honored in perpetuity. Perhaps one of the most concerning examples to donor-wannabesis how things proceeded against the wishes of Albert Barnes.

12 minutes ago, vodou said:

One of the reasons the Metropolitan caused a furor in the early 70's, after all, was that it exchanged paintings by Modigliani, Gris, Bonnard, Picasso and Renoir for two contemporary works, a sculpture by David Smith and a painting by Richard Diebenkorn.

That...already an awful idea by the hindsight from 1990. And thirty years later again, today, ... [no comment ;) ]

Deaccessioning is a common procedure in museums to raise funds. You can pretty much assume that anything you donate that isn't in their major area of interest will be sold. If you want to avoid that, you need to include enough cash to fund the care and feeding of your collection for eternity. 

1 hour ago, buyatari said:

What about the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum

Museums are kind of like a tarpit for the hobby, no?

They should do some lending to the Society of Illustrators (which is just up the road from me). Then, I will cut them some slack. lol

I have a few nice old pieces that I will not sell but love to give to an awesome Museum like Billy Ireland or another University that has a comic art collection. I would rather they sit in storage and shown occasionally than being auctioned every time the next seller goes broke.