• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man #252 Minimum grade
1 1

11 posts in this topic

All honesty to grade a modern, you'd probably spend $26 to get it graded...

+ a little more to ship back... + the cost to you of the book

Subtract that from the cost you'd sell it for, check sold listings of estimated grade.... after posting in spare a grade forum....

Weigh profit, work, and budget...

All these are things that we can not answer for you based on info so far....

These are the steps if it helps....

@obiedagod

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

All honesty to grade a modern, you'd probably spend $26 to get it graded...

+ a little more to ship back... + the cost to you of the book

Subtract that from the cost you'd sell it for, check sold listings of estimated grade.... after posting in spare a grade forum....

Weigh profit, work, and budget...

All these are things that we can not answer for you based on info so far....

These are the steps if it helps....

@obiedagod

I really just wondered what the minimum grade for a Spider-Man #252 that would be worth sending in. I have a copy that's a 7.0 or so, maybe.. And I got it for $30.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, obiedagod said:

I really just wondered what the minimum grade for a Spider-Man #252 that would be worth sending in. I have a copy that's a 7.0 or so, maybe.. And I got it for $30.

I think this partially depends on whether you're looking to held or sell. I think this book will continue to climb over time, so grading a 7.0 would probably be worth it if you're holding for a while. If you're looking to sell, follow the formula mentioned above

My gut reaction on most coppers is that it's not worth subbing for anything under 9.4, and in many cases, 9.6 or 9.8.

But this is now considered a "key", I guess, and it remains a hot books. I don't have GPA currently, but browsing closed auctions it looks like at least one 7.0 has sold for $50+. There are a couple of current listings asking $100+. Not sure that they'll get it, but I guess the perception is that it's worth that much to at least a few folks. So, for this particular book, which seems to be continually on the rise, I don't think you'd lose much in the long term if you slabbed it. But at this moment, if you slabbed and sold it, the profit margin may be tight, or negative once you factor in shipping and fees.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:26 PM, obiedagod said:

I think you should wait another 30 years . . . ^^

There's a service called GPA (paid subscription service) that tracks CGC graded comics 'sold' prices.  Look up your values, look up your costs, and do your own math.  Make sure you include your own profit preferences and selling/shipping costs (including potentially taxes and insurance), and your time.