• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden age creator autographs on books

3 posts in this topic

How much do they add to the value of a book, really? I have a Spook 22 with an L.B. Cole auto, and a Silver Streak 11 with artist Don Rico's auto. Those guys are long deceased, so they aren't signing anything else.  The autographs are to the interiors of the books. How much do they enhance value? I'd guess roughly double what they'd otherwise fetch?

8 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

How much do they add to the value of a book, really? I have a Spook 22 with an L.B. Cole auto, and a Silver Streak 11 with artist Don Rico's auto. Those guys are long deceased, so they aren't signing anything else.  The autographs are to the interiors of the books. How much do they enhance value? I'd guess roughly double what they'd otherwise fetch?

The problem you'll have is verification.  Unless CGC is offering signature verification as a service, the authenticity of the signatures won't be noted or in a worst case scenario be listed as a defect (writing on interior).  

If verified, yes, it would likely enhance the value, IMO.

I think they are pretty cool and would pay more for one even if not authorized but look authentic.  I have books signed by Will Eisner, Joe Simon, Jerry Iger, and the less-known artist Louis Ferstadt. I had the Eisner (National Comics) and the Iger (Jumbo Comics) graded and the name is notated on the blue label like Cat said above.  

Although I wouldn't pay double for the value like you mention unless doubling a low value book.  I am unsure if there is a way to gauge a value.  I asked Greg who operates the CGC analysis data and site (also a boardie) is he has done any analytics on SS books compared to a similar blue label but there are so many factors that come into play like who signed it, rade, presentation, PQ, etc. that is not really feasible.

I do have some GA SS books too.  An All-Winners 10 signed by Bellman and Bald.  Some Ghost Riders signed Ayers.  A few Heath books.  Some ACGs by Bald. I am not even sure if the verified sigs add value since some don't like defacing a book with a sig.  There was some discussion a while back about having peds SS by folks and sentiments were mixed.  

BTW, one of my grails would be a SS Frazetta.   There are some out there but my wallet isn't fat enough.  

Edited by telerites