• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your very first commission (sketch) piece?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!  Though I am not new to collecting - I am still new to getting commission pieces for my collection.  I have found them to be very addicting!  I got my very first one last year - and I am now up to six.  Which made me wonder... what was everyone else's very first commission piece?  And if you are comfortable sharing - why?

My very first commission piece was this Princess Leia sketch by Siya Oum done at Denver Comic Con 2018.  As for the why... just look at it - Siya killed it!?!

image.thumb.png.33832e85c397c8e26088bdfa381a2e2b.png

Not the first commission I had done, but it was my first sketch cover.
Emi only had some small paper at Louisville Supercon 2018 - I think like 5"x7"? I just had her do it on the back of a Batman comic.

This was the second in collection of Studio Ghibli themed sketches for my son's room: San from Princess Mononoke.

san_Lenox.thumb.jpeg.2dab180c964dec14b3598f6505ac3db2.jpeg

This was my first, I just became enamored with the idea that I could have a creator's sketch, I chose Don Perlin because he created Moon Knight :whee: I don't have an updated pic but I did get the Newton Rings fixed, thank you Brittany McManus :) 

moon knight newton pic 1.jpg

4 hours ago, austinhg said:

Not the first commission I had done, but it was my first sketch cover.
Emi only had some small paper at Louisville Supercon 2018 - I think like 5"x7"? I just had her do it on the back of a Batman comic.

This was the second in collection of Studio Ghibli themed sketches for my son's room: San from Princess Mononoke.

san_Lenox.thumb.jpeg.2dab180c964dec14b3598f6505ac3db2.jpeg

I am not familiar with Emi Lenox (sorry) - but her art is beautiful!  Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This was my first, I just became enamored with the idea that I could have a creator's sketch, I chose Don Perlin because he created Moon Knight :whee: I don't have an updated pic but I did get the Newton Rings fixed, thank you Brittany McManus :) 

moon knight newton pic 1.jpg

For sure - to get a sketch of a character by the actual creator of said character - how could you go wrong!?!

1 hour ago, DELTA 62 said:

I am not familiar with Emi Lenox (sorry) - but her art is beautiful!  Thanks for sharing!

Check out Plutona - she drew it and Jeff Lemire wrote it. They also teamed up this year for the Black Hammer one-shot: Cthu-Louise.

OK, here is my confession. I have been collecting comics since before 1970 with a large gap until 2016 (life happens). I had never even heard about sketch covers until that year (and listening to some CGC Boarders, I am way late to the party). That is fine.. I am making up for it now. My first exposure to any sketch cover was either a Natali Sanders Elektra cover or a @FAKadar Harley cover..... I was hooked. Here is what I think was my first Sketch cover (which has since been signed by Gal Gadot). Either way, my first cover was courtesy of Frank Kadar... and his covers are awesome!

Kadar Gadot.jpg

20 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

OK, here is my confession. I have been collecting comics since before 1970 with a large gap until 2016 (life happens). I had never even heard about sketch covers until that year (and listening to some CGC Boarders, I am way late to the party). That is fine.. I am making up for it now. My first exposure to any sketch cover was either a Natali Sanders Elektra cover or a @FAKadar Harley cover..... I was hooked. Here is what I think was my first Sketch cover (which has since been signed by Gal Gadot). Either way, my first cover was courtesy of Frank Kadar... and his covers are awesome!

Kadar Gadot.jpg

Still jealous of the Gal Gadot auto. 😄 

Still one of my favorite covers.

Okay, not sure if this is what you mean but around 1990 I was at a convention getting comics signed (I used to get lots of comics signed back in the day) and there was a short line and when I looked to see why I saw that Paul Ryan was doing free sketches. "Artists at cons draw?!?!?" I had never seen or heard of such a thing. I stood in line and took out a backing board and asked for Reed Richards. The stretching arm goes around the back of the backing board and comes out the other side! I am pretty sure that was my first piece of art and it was definitely my first con sketch.

ryan.jpg

Edited by Bird

On 3/15/2019 at 6:23 AM, seanfingh said:

Thanks man - we have come a long way from head sketches on Fallen Son blanks . . .

I remember seeing the con head sketches popping up on the boards and being amazed at what people were getting. Then came the sketch ops on the boards. The bar was set higher by those ops.