• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your very first commission (sketch) piece?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Catwomancomics said:

I remember seeing the con head sketches popping up on the boards and being amazed at what people were getting. Then came the sketch ops on the boards. The bar was set higher by those ops.

Exactly.  I remember the first full body sketches, then the first action scene sketches, the first cover recreations - they just got better and better all the time.

17 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

I remember seeing the con head sketches popping up on the boards and being amazed at what people were getting. Then came the sketch ops on the boards. The bar was set higher by those ops.

Plus some of the artists we got from those opps, are a veritable who's who of the comic industry now

Edited by Nino_013

On 3/18/2019 at 7:17 PM, Webhead2018 said:

I posted this in a couple other threads. I only started going to cons since 2014. And first non blank cover sketch I gotten was in 2014 a classic 9x12 Alex saviuk full body spidey. Since 2015 I been sticking to blank sketch covers. 

20140920_180758.jpg

Very nice!  

On 3/18/2019 at 7:31 PM, Bird said:

Okay, not sure if this is what you mean but around 1990 I was at a convention getting comics signed (I used to get lots of comics signed back in the day) and there was a short line and when I looked to see why I saw that Paul Ryan was doing free sketches. "Artists at cons draw?!?!?" I had never seen or heard of such a thing. I stood in line and took out a backing board and asked for Reed Richards. The stretching arm goes around the back of the backing board and comes out the other side! I am pretty sure that was my first piece of art and it was definitely my first con sketch.

ryan.jpg

Best back board ever!?!

On 4/8/2019 at 11:06 AM, Silentstrider said:

Billy Tucci did this Cap fighting Black Cat back in 2007 when he was doing the Hero's for Hire run during Civil War.  Still have it framed in the house.

cap and bc.jpg

That is definitely one deserving to be framed!  I like the subtle color accents.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:36 PM, RayJr said:

I got quite few done when I went to the Amazing Las Vegas Con in 2016 but this was my first one done that day by Ryan Kincaid.

A6CB34BF-5790-4AD4-B7FC-ECCCFA56B4E8.jpeg

Sketched and colored!  Win-win!  Very nice!  Thanks for sharing!