• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is NYX More valuable than...
1 1

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

All words were non-words at one point, and then people started using them as words, and they became words.

It's not as cringy as "moist" is to some, though.

"The addition of new words to a dictionary is a step in the continuous process of recording our ever-expanding language," said Merriam-Webster in a statement. "The dictionary's job is to report that usage as it enters the general vocabulary." ... TL;DR: You can thank Merriam-Webster for the vocabulary boost.Sep 18, 2018

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

All words were non-words at one point, and then people started using them as words, and they became words.

That depends entirely on which theory of language development you believe. I don't subscribe to that theory.

13 hours ago, ygogolak said:

"The addition of new words to a dictionary is a step in the continuous process of recording our ever-expanding language," said Merriam-Webster in a statement. "The dictionary's job is to report that usage as it enters the general vocabulary." ... TL;DR: You can thank Merriam-Webster for the vocabulary boost.Sep 18, 2018

There is a tremendous difference between neologisms...whether they be portmanteaus, back formations, retronyms, or the like...developed by serious linguists searching to explain new or different things in new or different ways, and pop culture schlock like "ginormous", invented by idjits without enough sense to come in from out of the rain, because they're trying to be cute.

Yuuuuge difference.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There is a tremendous difference between neologisms...whether they be portmanteaus, back formations, retronyms, or the like, developed by serious linguists searching to explain new or different things in new or different ways...and pop culture schlock like "ginormous", invented by idjits without enough sense to come in from out of the rain, because they're trying to be cute.

Yuuuuge difference.

Amen 

And bling bling

I dont even have bling, why would I use the word bling? Matter of fact when I put in work on the blockeezy I use my hard earned cash on that slab shiiiit you feel me?

Damn what about that pig Latin now?

You think a Roman was standing in a pig farm when that language was bein developed? Maybe he was somehow communicating with a pig.

...just saying

😀😁😂🤣

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There is a tremendous difference between neologisms...whether they be portmanteaus, back formations, retronyms, or the like, developed by serious linguists searching to explain new or different things in new or different ways...and pop culture schlock like "ginormous", invented by idjits without enough sense to come in from out of the rain, because they're trying to be cute.

Yuuuuge difference.

Whatever differences you see, any of those things with enough staying power eventually become part of the common language.

32 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Whatever differences you see, any of those things with enough staying power eventually become part of the common language.

I didn't say they don't. I simply said I didn't have to like them, and can do my part to campaign against them.

My dim recollection is that folks were not rushing out to hoard nyx 3s. I remember the rack at midtown being full of unsold copies (and it was not wed) and me noticing the interesting cover but deciding to pass. I subsequently fished 3 copies over the course of a few months out of my lcs 3 for $2 box, so it was not a big seller for him either. That probably doesn't change the analysis. Nm 98 had a big run relative to a third tier 2004 title. How big we do not know. RMa has written a treatise on it.

My dim recollection is that folks were not rushing out to hoard nyx 3s. I remember the rack at midtown being full of unsold copies (and it was not wed) and me noticing the interesting cover but deciding to pass. I subsequently fished 3 copies over the course of a few months out of my lcs 3 for $2 box, so it was not a big seller for him either. That probably doesn't change the analysis. Nm 98 had a big run relative to a third tier 2004 title. How big we do not know. RMa has written a treatise on it.

On 3/16/2019 at 1:14 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Oddly enough, those numbers reflect total extant copies to a degree. New Mutants was both printed and sold in much higher numbers than NYX #3. There are perhaps 5 times or more copies of New Mutants #98 extant than NYX #3. Cap City orders for New Mutants #98 was 52k, back when Cap City was roughly 30% of the Direct market. Diamond's sales for NYX #3 was 40k, when Diamond was the only distributor to the Direct market, and there is no newsstand version.

Can you say for certain there’s no NYX 3? Marvel stopped in 2014 do unless I’m missing something it’s possible.