• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Challenging a grade/label

9 posts in this topic

I'm curious, has anyone challenged a grade? 

I've recently acquired a book that was graded 9.4 Restored, the cover was apparently trimmed. However after very close examination without cracking the slab, I see no signs of trimming whatsoever.

I have multiple copies of the book, some raw, some graded Universal. I've compared them all and the dimensions all match, the edges are straight, and the printers cut marks all line up. I firmly believe that this was NOT actually trimmed.

Hi Devco, nice to see you here!  I bought a book from you on ebay and exchanged a few messages.  On the issue of challenging resto, the odds are not good.  Resto is very difficult for non-professionals to detect and often specialized equipment is used to detect resto that is nearly invisible to just visual inspection.  Often subtle color changes on the trimmed edge compared to the other edges will give away trimming.  Other times it may be a slightly jagged cut edge visible only under a magnifying lens, but perfectly straight to the naked eye, etc...

As was stated above, i'd advise against it, but you could always gamble and resubmit it raw.

There are some resto professionals on this board and you might want to post a question in the resto section for their opinion.

Edited by davet75

On 3/13/2019 at 7:27 PM, devco said:

I've recently acquired a book that was graded 9.4 Restored, the cover was apparently trimmed. However after very close examination without cracking the slab, I see no signs of trimming whatsoever.

I have multiple copies of the book, some raw, some graded Universal. I've compared them all and the dimensions all match, the edges are straight, and the printers cut marks all line up. I firmly believe that this was NOT actually trimmed.

If you post a pic of the book and the other copies you mention we might have more to say about the matter.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:27 PM, devco said:

You might want to call CGC to discuss the issue. 

You also might want to check out the threads linked below before you declare yourself an expert on spotting trimming. Some very cagey and very dishonest people can fool even the experts. 

Edited by Jeffro.

Thanks guys, I'm not claiming to be a resto expert by any means, however after 40 years of collecting and studying comics very closely, I've seen quite a bit of shenanigans.

As I mentioned, after comparing the multiple copies I have of this book, I don't see any obvious signs of trimming.. even under a magnifying glass.

I was just curious if anyone had challenged a grade, and if so, what was the outcome?

Here's a comparison pic of the three I have together. The center book is known to have been trimmed or was mis-cut at the press.

Cheers

fullsizeoutput_20b0.jpeg