• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

books damaged while being graded
1 1

34 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Pirate said:

IM in the process also.  Once in the past they credited me fair market value for the destruction of the book.

:o

I got some news back.  I think they pressed it to get most of the damage out. The dealer/auction I bought it from offered a refund also.  I not sure what to do honestly, i.e. take the book or get the refund. I do want the book but...

The first picture is after book was reholdered (the case was cracked during shipment after purchase, note the damage was not there prior to reholdering, luckily I had photo documentation). The second picture was after CGC "evaluated" the book.  They MUST of pressed it to get the damage out. There still is a little damage though but they must of regraded it if they pressed it, correct? It still is graded as a 9.8.

IMG_9629.jpeg

5TJTI9UM 2.jpeg

Edited by Xenosmilus

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Well, it certainly looks a lot better. The question you have to ask yourself is whether it's worth it to return the book for a refund or is it better to just keep it and move on... ?  (shrug)

My grading skills are not that good. Would you still consider that a 9.8?

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

We send books to CGC to be graded so that the debate of the grade is settled. 

Why pay money to a grading company to grade your books - and then ask strangers and novices if they think the book is the assigned grade. 

You are making this way too complicated. 

1 minute ago, Tony S said:

We send books to CGC to be graded so that the debate of the grade is settled. 

Why pay money to a grading company to grade your books - and then ask strangers and novices if they think the book is the assigned grade. 

You are making this way too complicated. 

They could have just gave it a 9.8 to cover their butts...

21 hours ago, MARK ARNEY said:

has anyone ever had a book damage while being graded and come back with a low grade? If so is there any recourse for this?

Anything can happen. CGC damaging books is by all evidence extremely rare. 

In my experience, most of the time those rare occurrences are a result of books being fragile to begin with.  To grade a book it has to be opened up, pages counted.  And even more stressful (for the book) is the restoration check. A lot of restoration hides along the spine or along the staples of interior pages. So the book has to be opened wide, looked at carefully. If the paper is weak....well. damage can occur. 

5 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Guilt, if I ever want to resell it I feel like I would have to make a note of the issue

Guilt is like a bag of f***in' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton, The Devil's Advocate......

If you ever go to sell it, you are selling a CGC graded 9.8.  However buys it is getting a CGC 9.8. 

Let go your guilt......

12 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

They could have just gave it a 9.8 to cover their butts...

There is ONE TRUTH that is near universally accepted about the professional (CGC) grading of comic books. CGC is admant that it is true. And this truth is central to the integrity of professional, 3rd party grading of comic books. If you accept this truth, it eliminates the idea of "favors" and "cover their butts".  If you don't accept this truth, don't use professional grading services. 

What is the truth you ask? The Graders KNOW NOTHING about the books they are grading. They do not know whose books they are grading (so no favors for friends or big dealers) They do not know if the book was previously professionally graded, so they do not know what that grade in the past was. They don't know if CCS has pressed the book.  They are grading without any possible prejudice for or against against the book.  The ONLY thing the graders looking at the book know is if the restoration expert found any restoration. NOTHING else. 

Edited by Tony S

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

If CGC gave it a 9.8, they felt confident that it was still a 9.8. We must remember that a 9.8 is not a perfect copy, and can have very minor flaws (that's the reason it's not a 9.9 or 10.0). That is a very nice copy, with white pages and a pedigree. Personally, that tips the scales for me...it's a keeper. 

2 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

It would be nice to finally have the book.  I bought it in September and have had problems with the purchase the whole time.  I think it has only been in my possession for about 2 weeks since September.

fKSQyD6g.jpeg

A great cover and from the Don Rosa collection as well. Definitely  a keeper  

9 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

If CGC gave it a 9.8, they felt confident that it was still a 9.8. We must remember that a 9.8 is not a perfect copy, and can have very minor flaws (that's the reason it's not a 9.9 or 10.0). That is a very nice copy, with white pages and a pedigree. Personally, that tips the scales for me...it's a keeper. 

Nice to see you back Mr. Lion

39 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Thank you Pirate! Although I don't recall leaving... hm

I sent you a PM months ago you never answered, thought you had left