• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

books damaged while being graded
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2019 at 9:18 PM, MARK ARNEY said:

has anyone ever had a book damage while being graded and come back with a low grade? If so is there any recourse for this?

Yes. I submitted a Venom comic that was flawless and I knew it would grade at a 9.8. It came back with a grade of 9.6. After looking more closely, I noticed a spinal bend that was not there when I submitted. Fortunately, I had some pre-submission pictures as proof of the condition and CGC was kind enough to press out the bend at no charge. It came back at a 9.8.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:12 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Guilt, if I ever want to resell it I feel like I would have to make a note of the issue

It's a CGC 9.8 blue label book. No need to note anything. Scan the front and back, post them for buyers to see and be done with the listing.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Guilt, if I ever want to resell it I feel like I would have to make a note of the issue

As a buyer of books, I appreciate this. I do not buy books that have been pressed or cleaned. and 'CGC" does stand for Certified GUARANTEE...it looking like the guarantee isn't all what its cracked up to be. I had no idea these issues were going on when I got into graded books.

IF I SENT THAT IN TO BE GRADED, IT WOULD PROBABLY BE A 9.2 9.4. HOWEVER SOME BOOKS DO SLIP THROUGH AT A 9.6 9.8, I OWN SOME. I HAVE SOME 9,8S THAT SHOW NO VISIBLE FLAWS WITH A FLASHLIGHT SHINED ACROSS THE FRONT AND BACK IN THE DARK. I ALSO HAVE SOME 98S WITH MULTIPLE NON COLOR BREAKING TICKS IN THE SPINE. IT IS WHAT IT IS I GUESS. THESE ARE HUMAN BEINGS DOING THE GRADING, THAT IS WHY THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING THE AVERAGE OF 3 GRADES. SOMETIMES THINGS SLIP BY DUE TO HUMAN ERROR. HOWEVER, I THINK CGC HAS  THE MOST CONSISTENT GRADING. AT THE END OF THE DAY, A SEALED CGC 9.8 IS A SEALED 9.8. I'D TAKE IT.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:01 AM, talesof... said:

As a buyer of books, I appreciate this. I do not buy books that have been pressed or cleaned. and 'CGC" does stand for Certified GUARANTEE...it looking like the guarantee isn't all what its cracked up to be. I had no idea these issues were going on when I got into graded books.

So you buy nothing or do you have a 6th sense to determine whats pressed and what's not?

The only time CGC damaged one of my comic books during grading was my Fantastic Four #1.  An edge crease became a tear during grading and they estimated the tear dropped it from a 3.0 to a 2.5.  They contacted me immediately, were apologetic, and offered me a credit towards future grading fees equal to the difference in FMV between a 2.5 and a 3.0.

It was handled professionally and quickly.  Well, maybe the comic wasn’t handled as professionally as it could have been, but accidents happen.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:11 PM, Tony S said:

We send books to CGC to be graded so that the debate of the grade is settled. 

Why pay money to a grading company to grade your books - and then ask strangers and novices if they think the book is the assigned grade. 

You are making this way too complicated. 

This is where we diverge.

The grading process is...must be...collaborative. The third party must agree with the seller who must agree with the buyer who must agree with the third party. It's not enough that the market accept what the third party says, without question. That cannot work in the long run.

There's a lot more to it, but that is the essence. I've been percolating an article about this that I will post in my journal at some point. 

I had one bad experience with CGC damaging books. Sadly only one could be fixed of 3 (I ending up having to pay for the pressing) and CGC claimed book were damaged through the post office. I would always suggest taking photos before sending anything off. Hopefully it will help.

Edited by Rip

there are ways to tell if a book is pressed. I just bought a Giant size xmen 1 from the original owner who bought the book in the 70's and he is old fashioned and doesn't even know what cleaning or pressing a comic book is. They are rare but they are out there. That was the original thrill about collecting was finding a book in great shape. now its manufactured to a condition that it actually is not.