• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Read Your Valuables?

44 posts in this topic

I wouldn't say mine are VALUABLE, but they would set me back if I had to replace them. Yet, I prefer to read comics issue-by-issue rather than in a collected paperback. Always extremely careful, of course. And of course I would NEVER, take risks with a Golden Age book, except to verify all the pages are there.

How does everyone else feel about reading what they consider to be their valuables?

Never. I am OCD with my comics when it comes to condition (my sister still loves telling the story of when we were kids and I would only let her read my comics if I was the one to turn the pages when she was ready - she was never allowed to actually touch them).

If I want to read an old comic I seek out color reprints or buy a beat reader copy.

34 minutes ago, DocOck said:

And of course I would NEVER, take risks with a Golden Age book, except to verify all the pages are there.

The nice thing about VGish GA books (assuming PQ is fine) is that you can handle them with (reasonably) no worries about damaging them just by reading them. I dont know what I'd do with some 9.8 NM+ style book where if I look at it wrong I've just cost myself $1k. 

Edited by miraclemet

I have TPBs of all the slabbed books I own.

I also only own Modern SS books (for now), so they're there to appreciate for the condition + signatures.

I do have "rare" TPBs/Hardcovers/Absolutes/Omnis, and I still have them available to read. Some of them would cost $100+ to replace.

So, yes, I read my "valuables".

I don’t really have anything worth more than $400 or so and I’ve flipped through every one of them at least once but the contents are usually available to me in a reprint or trade. There’s a ton of reader copy filler issues in the boxes I’ve never even taken out of the bag though

Unless it is this month's copy of ASM then no. 

There is no need to potentially damage a $1000 book.  When you reach a certain point the books are meant for possession not enjoyment.  There are digital subscriptions for that. 

Of course, why would I own it if it's never going to be looked at? I might as well not even own it if I'm not going to look at it. I could care less how valuable anything is and don't understand this unhealthy obsession with grades. I have many many valuable comics, records, books and I use them all as intended. Just be careful with them and take care of them and they will be fine.

Edited by catman76

Hell yes I do. I have read it at least looked through every book I own. 80% GA. This includes Mile Highs, Gaines file copies and every book no matter what is. What is the point of having a slabbed Mile High for instance? You are missing out on the snow white pages, the gloss and dripping wet color and that “smell”. You got to be careful, very careful but if you know how to handle books you will be fine. I love my comics from nose bleed grades down to coverless and read them all!

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

...You got to be careful, very careful but if you know how to handle books you will be fine. I love my comics from nose bleed grades down to coverless and read them all!

You have to bend all of the pages aggressively to remember where you left off, right?

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Hell yes I do. I have read it at least looked through every book I own. 80% GA. This includes Mile Highs, Gaines file copies and every book no matter what is. What is the point of having a slabbed Mile High for instance? You are missing out on the snow white pages, the gloss and dripping wet color and that “smell”. You got to be careful, very careful but if you know how to handle books you will be fine. I love my comics from nose bleed grades down to coverless and read them all!

lol - I actually hate that smell... I don't know why... I really don't but I hate that smell. 

Never.  Happy just reading the story in digital format, trade or hardcover.

I don't have everything available like that, but quite enough to be going on with.

Edited by Ken Aldred

If I bought it "raw" I read it.  If its slabbed, I find a reprint. There are a few books, like my All Select #1, that I bought "raw", would not quit reading/flipping through, so that my wife got tired of it and made me send it in for grading.:roflmao:

I like to read the originals and digital on my amazon fire. I enjoy reading an original more than I do a digital, but with digital there's no worries of damaging the book and I can read it in the bath (my favourite place to read)

49 minutes ago, Badger said:

If I bought it "raw" I read it.  If its slabbed, I find a reprint. There are a few books, like my All Select #1, that I bought "raw", would not quit reading/flipping through, so that my wife got tired of it and made me send it in for grading.:roflmao:

And you listened to her???