• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing... a strong vote in favor... with results...

15 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

(Disclaimer... this is really for people trying to maximize value.

I acquired all my books 20 years ago... for fun, yes, but also to appreciate, 

Hulk 1 CGC 7.0 PLOD CT... CGC removed resto and recommended a press, which I agreed to. Post-removal with press: Universal 6.5. That's big.

Tales To Astonish 27... I posted this on the PGM page and the verdict from our esteemed colleagues was 4.0. Sent it in, CGC determined there was resto, removed it, pressed it, and graded it 4.5. 

considering the hulk only dropped .5 there must not have been much CT?!?! And I guess same on the TTA27?

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

considering the hulk only dropped .5 there must not have been much CT?!?! And I guess same on the TTA27?

That is my assumption. You could not see a difference in the cover. At least I couldn’t. 

I submitted an ASM13 7.0 with CT... they said there was too much to remove.

Another @joeypost post batch back today... some highlights...

JIM 86... I thought a 7.0... it came back 8.0

X-Men 2... I thought 7.0... it came back 8.5!

Iron Man 1... I thought 7.0... it came back 8.0.

ASM 10... I thought 7.0... came back 8.0.

ASM 15... I thought 6.0... it came back 8.0!!!

2x6577.gif

Joey does great work for sure.  And if you don’t do the CT removal and press, the next dealer who has the book will.   Just a fact at this point.  So those that hate pressing or CT removal scrapes have to be willing to pay up for those books with minor CT or pressable defects if they want to stay with Virgin books.

Recently got our results from sending in 18 books through Joey.  .Only disappointment was a key GA book graded as a fn by Metropolis that came back 3.5  -we knew it was over graded.   Rest of the books came back as expected or higher than expected and roughly doubled the overall value of the books.  A few turned out to be big wins.  We tend to under-grade but know Joey is responsible for excellent results.

Edited by thehumantorch

1 minute ago, Jimmy Daniels said:

So you can request Joey? I've submitted three books for pressing and grading and have only received one back so far and it was better than I figured, a giant size xmen 1

Actually, Joey has his own comic pressing company. You send your books to Joey, he presses, and then delivers, usually by hand, to CGC (he too is in FLA).