• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first comic you ever got signed?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Through the years I have gotten several artists or writers to sign my funnybooks. Through that time, the first time the opportunity arose stands out more than the rest.

I was at a comic convention in Boston (it must have been 1992 because I got comics signed from 1991 but it could have been late 1991 I suppose). I know I had Marvel Comics Presents 87 and 92 and a copy of Wizard Magazine issue 3. The artist I found at this show was one whose work I really enjoyed: Sam Kieth. It was very cool to meet him and I know I met a creator from Ninja Turtles who was neither Eastman nor Laird. I don't remember a lot of the other creators I saw back at that show but I remember also that wood cut cover art was all the rage. I remember a Spider-man 7 (McFarlane series) that looked very cool. Anybody else remember those, or better yet, buy any of them?

Looking forward to hearing others' thoughts...What was the first comic you ever got signed?

Edited by PeterPark

Amazing Spider-Man #298 by Todd McFarlane at the 1988 San Diego Comic Con. I saw him in the artist alley as I was walking the convention floor, this was my first SDCC so I didn't think about bringing comics to get signed so I ran to the nearest dealer and picked up a #298 and a Hulk issue for him to sign. He signed the 298 on the cover and the Hulk on the first page both with a ballpoint pen. 

Incredible Hulk 104 and 105, and Sub-Mariner #23, by Marie Severin.  At the Seattle Comic Convention, before it became Emerald City Comicon.  I think it was 1995 or 96.

She had these to purchase as well, and I had one personalized with my name.  Unfortunately, it disappeared along with some comics during a cross country move.

Image result for marie severin

Since we're not posting two many pic's....so far lol 

First comic signed raw was X-men 134, signed by Claremont, the 1st for signature series was 1 copy each of IH 180 and 181 to be signed by Stan Lee; followed by the next day of the con a FF #49 to be signed by Stan Lee and Joe Sinnot, and a ASM #129 to be signed by Stan Lee and Romita, Romita backed out :( 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Spectacular Spider-Man #198 signed by MC Hammer.  :roflmao:

So basically, I was waiting for my mom in the arrivals terminal at the airport.  While waiting, my dad bought me a copy of Spectacular Spider-Man from those airport newsstands to keep me occupied.  Well, my mom comes out and says "there's some famous person on the plane I just got off of because people kept going up to him.  Do you want his autograph?"  I was shy so I kinda quietly just said "no, that's okay."  My mom though was like "I'll get it" but we had nothing to write on.  Except for my comic.  So she took the comic from my hands and went over to MC Hammer and got his autograph.  I mean, I like "Can't Touch This" as much as the next person, but the comic fan in me cringes when I see that book.  Sure it was drek to begin with, but I sure wish I had a clean raw (unsigned) copy.  lol

My first real creator signature though was Jim Lee and Brandon Choi on Fantastic Four (vol2) #1 at my LCS when those Heroes Reborn books first came out.

Being incredibly new to signed comics overall.  I just recently got my Secret Wars #8 signed by Mike Zek.  He was at a really small convention in Virginia.  It has given me the itch though for sure.  His interaction with not only me but my son was beyond compare.  I know I cannot expect that with all the creators but I am hopeful.

Had this signed by Martin Powell and Daerick Gross at a small shop in Ohio 1992  a few days before I met Jerry Siegel ( who was my second signature) Just a few months after Joe Shuster had passed. After talking with Jerry that's what sparked my love of Superman.

IMG_20190425_011836304.jpg