• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new Marvel Comics are all wavy

44 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is a problem just in our upstate area but the Marvel comics are coming in with a waviness to them. To me this is , I'm spending hundreds a month on comics you can't even get graded. Is any other areas having this problem? I asked the dealer and he said it was the new paper Marvel is using. But all 4 comic shops we have in the upstate of our state has the same problem and this has been going on for a while now. Can (if allowed) anyone recommend a subscriber online if they are getting good solid flat comics. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

Not sure if this is a problem just in our upstate area but the Marvel comics are coming in with a waviness to them. To me this is , I'm spending hundreds a month on comics you can't even get graded. Is any other areas having this problem? I asked the dealer and he said it was the new paper Marvel is using. But all 4 comic shops we have in the upstate of our state has the same problem and this has been going on for a while now. Can (if allowed) anyone recommend a subscriber online if they are getting good solid flat comics. Thanks. 

1. This has been happening for a while now, along with horrible cover rub. This is for everyone across the US.

2. Why can't you get them graded?

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

1. This has been happening for a while now, along with horrible cover rub. This is for everyone across the US.

2. Why can't you get them graded?

I could get them graded, but they are not gonna grad eas high as a sweet flat solid comic, right, they want you to pay extra for pressing (which strangely started about the same time) and by then you have to ask, is this comic now worth getting graded and you stand no chance of a 9.8. As I understand the grading. Right????

29 minutes ago, ghost of the wild said:

I've even tried bagging and boarding and putting on a flat surface while putting some heavy heavy books on top, you still can't flatten them.

I had some like that come back 9.4.....I don't know if pressing would help, I assume so, but I usually don't get comics pressed..... 9.4 is not too bad depending on your pov :foryou: 

This has been going on for years now. The general opinion is too much ink, thin but glossy paper so the ink doesn't much absorb, just gets the paper wet then dries.  Result: Wavy books. 

The good news is that unless really extreme, CGC mostly gives a pass to printing defects.  When grading books they are more focused on defects that came AFTER the books are printed. You can and I have gotten 9.8's on books that are a little wavy. Washboard wavy? IDK. Never sent such in. 

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

This has been going on for years now. The general opinion is too much ink, thin but glossy paper so the ink doesn't much absorb, just gets the paper wet then dries.  Result: Wavy books. 

The good news is that unless really extreme, CGC mostly gives a pass to printing defects.  When grading books they are more focused on defects that came AFTER the books are printed. You can and I have gotten 9.8's on books that are a little wavy. Washboard wavy? IDK. Never sent such in. 

Thank you I didn't know that. I feel a little better. Guess all I can do is try some and see where they end up. You would think Marvel would have a better quality control, see a problem and care enough to fix it. At least show the collectors, we are appreciated. They have to know what's going on.

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I had some like that come back 9.4.....I don't know if pressing would help, I assume so, but I usually don't get comics pressed..... 9.4 is not too bad depending on your pov :foryou: 

yeah, but as a collector, it sure feels good putting a 9.8 back into the comic room and knowing when I'm gone, my kids will know what they have. 

9 hours ago, ghost of the wild said:

yeah, but as a collector, it sure feels good putting a 9.8 back into the comic room and knowing when I'm gone, my kids will know what they have. 

Well, it's arguable that what they think they have and what they know they have are two very different things.

Edited by DavidTheDavid

17 hours ago, ghost of the wild said:

I could get them graded, but they are not gonna grad eas high as a sweet flat solid comic, right, they want you to pay extra for pressing (which strangely started about the same time) and by then you have to ask, is this comic now worth getting graded and you stand no chance of a 9.8. As I understand the grading. Right????

16 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That should not change the grade. Same as a bindery tear.

18 hours ago, ghost of the wild said:

You would think Marvel would have a better quality control, see a problem and care enough to fix it.

lol

That would be a huge shock. Marvel is well known for their thriftiness when it comes to production materials. Lots of different issues over the years.

However, slight waviness is now basically normal across the industry due to the paper used and ink saturation.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:58 PM, mysterymachine said:

With microchamber paper to make sure the pages don't brown.  :preach:

CGC doesn't put microchamber paper in new comics . The paper quality is higher than the newsprint used on vintage books, so they say it's not needed. 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:37 AM, solm4st3r said:

Put the comic in a  envelope with a clean board on each side and then put then under your mattress for several days. This has worked for me in the past to flatten out the comic.

Eventually, the tooth fairy will come and take your wavy comic and leave a shiny new quarter in its place.