• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Defect or damage?

20 posts in this topic

Hello, new to the forums so hello everyone.

Recently got a copy of this Artgerm virgin but not sure why the cover looks so odd to me. I'll add some pictures of the issue someone let me know what this is.

1744982900_IMG_0311603.thumb.jpg.dd61aa9a62fd25c6fe7eb7f66ff856ac.jpg

858994684_IMG_0310602.thumb.jpg.f2c03eb20ebe8a34d07eab8e1ad266a9.jpg

1379845779_IMG_0315606.thumb.jpg.69f626523b5e4041470b9e008712e8e7.jpg

This could possibly be from two different events. Regarding the tiny white color flecks, when multiple books are stacked on top of or next to each other, sometimes they'll actually start to stick together due to environmental factors. When they're separated, they take tiny flecks of paper off the cover of the book they were stacked or stored next to. It could also be an odd production flaw, where certain copies sustained these minor marks during the manufacturing process. That line across the book appears to be a manufacturing flaw, not damage. One thing I usually do with a book like this is a "comparison check." I try to find as many copies of the book as I can, and see if they all have the same flaws. For me, that would tip the scales toward it being a manufacturing issue rather than a storage issue. Some of these modern books will all have the same flaw and won't be significantly downgraded because of it.

In any event, welcome to the boards...you've come to the right place!   

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

This could possibly be from two different events. Regarding the tiny white color flecks, when multiple books are stacked on top of or next to each other, sometimes they'll actually start to stick together due to environmental factors. When they're separated, they take tiny flecks of paper off the cover of the book they were stacked or stored next to. It could also be an odd production flaw, where certain copies sustained these minor marks during the manufacturing process. That line across the book appears to be a manufacturing flaw, not damage. One thing I usually do with a book like this is a "comparison check." I try to find as many copies of the book as I can, and see if they all have the same flaws. For me, that would tip the scales toward it being a manufacturing issue rather than a storage issue. Some of these modern books will all have the same flaw and won't be significantly downgraded because of it.

In any event, welcome to the boards...you've come to the right place!   

Sorry for the way I posted my replies earlier I am totally new to the forum scene but very happy to be apart of it. Thanks for the help and knowledge. After comparing to a graded copy it is normal but the second issue with the possible coverup for definetly not normal so back to the seller it goes. Think I'm better off just buying them graded. lol Thanks again!!!

11 hours ago, zuki said:

Sorry for the way I posted my replies earlier I am totally new to the forum scene but very happy to be apart of it. Thanks for the help and knowledge. After comparing to a graded copy it is normal but the second issue with the possible coverup for definetly not normal so back to the seller it goes. Think I'm better off just buying them graded. lol Thanks again!!!

You're welcome. Hopefully this will all work out for you. Sometimes honest sellers miss things, too...  

22 hours ago, zuki said:

Got them from a "trusted" seller on eBay. Never had issues before but guess there's a first time for everything. 

Try asking for a refund. I think the seller might have just made an honest mistake. It happens. Best of luck :)

On 3/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, The Lions Den said:

One thing I usually do with a book like this is a "comparison check." I try to find as many copies of the book as I can, and see if they all have the same flaws.

This, times ten million. This, this, this! If you can see the same flaw in multiple copies, you are guaranteed to have a production defect, which doesn't count as much or at all, rather than damage.

Vital is the comparison check!

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This, times ten million. This, this, this! If you can see the same flaw in multiple copies, you are guaranteed to have a production defect, which doesn't count as much or at all, rather than damage.

This strategy is often used by professional graders as well...

On 3/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, The Lions Den said:

You're welcome. Hopefully this will all work out for you. Sometimes honest sellers miss things, too...  

just an update after bringing this info to the seller he has still yet to cooperate with me on a refund let alone reply to my issue with the book. not at all worried with the eBay guarantee but still worth noting.

On 3/16/2019 at 11:35 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

After picking up this book just today at a 9.8 it is definitely damage to the book and non of it including the texture belongs. This is just one other book I'm comparing too but I didn't see it coming back anything close to a 9.8 either way. At least I have a reading copy now.

6 minutes ago, zuki said:

After picking up this book just today at a 9.8 it is definitely damage to the book and non of it including the texture belongs. This is just one other book I'm comparing too but I didn't see it coming back anything close to a 9.8 either way. At least I have a reading copy now.

Any "trusted" seller should be willing to take the book back if that's what you decide to do...  :juggle:

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Any "trusted" seller should be willing to take the book back if that's what you decide to do...  :juggle:

I completely agree. I was extremely kind and described in simple detail the issues with the book. I have since been ignored. From now on I may stay away from purchasing raw books on ebay unless they are reading copy's. 

Edited by zuki
no location of purchase

2 minutes ago, zuki said:

I completely agree. I was extremely kind and described in simple detail the issues with the book. I have since been ignored. From now on I may stay away from purchasing raw books on ebay unless they are reading copy's. 

Even the best of sellers can overlook things, but they should be willing to admit their mistake and make it right. It seems to me that eBay has some kind of policy regarding a seller ignoring your requests for a return. As I recall, if they don't respond by a specific date you can get eBay to intervene on your behalf...

2 hours ago, zuki said:

Probably a DIY presser.