• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hmm... Suspect 😒

24 posts in this topic

It surprises me how folks bash PGX and praise CGC as if NO other company can grade a comic book. That's like saying Ford is the only company that can make a vehicle. Does anyone at either company holds a Bachelor degree in comic book grading? I don't think so. Grading is SUBJECTIVE. A company without competition is also dangerous/a monopoly! Every company at one point has also had its issues from GM Motors to Sony products. Yeah you may catch a higher price for your book if it ever sells but it has to sell for higher in order for you to make somewhat of a decent profit due to the high fees you pay to get it graded. Its all a psychological game of greed. Like i always say to each its own on the microphone. If you feel that your identical grade from CGC is better than it's competition because you paid a higher price then all power to you. I've done business with both CGC and PGX and to be honest i perfer PGX. To me there cases are stronger and my book doesn't slide around in the case or have rainbow rings like CGC. 

I read so many stories of folks sending a 9.8 PGX book to CGC and getting a lower grade. Is there anyone who has sent a 9.8 CGC to PGX and recieved a lower grade? I never see those videos. Once you've cracked open that case you have ruined that grade. No matter how "CAREFUL" you think you are in repackaging the book you have ruined the grade. Especially after it goes through the postal system. Packages are thrown around like footballs. So i can understand if a item comes back a grade lower. 

Grading is subjective. A 9.4 in my opinion may be a 9.2 in yours. Does that make either of us right or wrong? Now this is my issue for all those who praise CGC as the Gods of grading. How can this issue of The She-Hulk #1 be graded a 9.8 with a detached bottom staple? A 9.4 or 6 i can get with but 8, Hmm.. Suspect 😒.

s-l400.jpg

6 hours ago, Rocketman16 said:

It surprises me how folks bash PGX and praise CGC as if NO other company can grade a comic book. That's like saying Ford is the only company that can make a vehicle. Does anyone at either company holds a Bachelor degree in comic book grading? I don't think so. Grading is SUBJECTIVE. A company without competition is also dangerous/a monopoly! Every company at one point has also had its issues from GM Motors to Sony products. Yeah you may catch a higher price for your book if it ever sells but it has to sell for higher in order for you to make somewhat of a decent profit due to the high fees you pay to get it graded. Its all a psychological game of greed. Like i always say to each its own on the microphone. If you feel that your identical grade from CGC is better than it's competition because you paid a higher price then all power to you. I've done business with both CGC and PGX and to be honest i perfer PGX. To me there cases are stronger and my book doesn't slide around in the case or have rainbow rings like CGC. 

I read so many stories of folks sending a 9.8 PGX book to CGC and getting a lower grade. Is there anyone who has sent a 9.8 CGC to PGX and recieved a lower grade? I never see those videos. Once you've cracked open that case you have ruined that grade. No matter how "CAREFUL" you think you are in repackaging the book you have ruined the grade. Especially after it goes through the postal system. Packages are thrown around like footballs. So i can understand if a item comes back a grade lower. 

Grading is subjective. A 9.4 in my opinion may be a 9.2 in yours. Does that make either of us right or wrong? Now this is my issue for all those who praise CGC as the Gods of grading. How can this issue of The She-Hulk #1 be graded a 9.8 with a detached bottom staple? A 9.4 or 6 i can get with but 8, Hmm.. Suspect 😒.

s-l400.jpg

Is this a real post? Green labels are qualified grades (as noted on the label with the word "Qualified"). 

The way you read the grade is "it's this grade outside of the noted qualifier" so CGC is saying "other than the detached staple, this book is a 9.8"

8 hours ago, Rocketman16 said:

s-l400.jpg

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

If that is a Major, then I am definitely going back to College.   Anybody have Lori Loughlin's phone number?

I wish! Always thought she was attractive.

On ‎2019‎/‎03‎/‎15 at 12:51 AM, Rocketman16 said:

s-l400.jpg

The main difference is CGC employs standards. There is more than one person grading, they can detect ( and actually look for! ) restoration. CGC will find missing pages or clipped out content and there have been multiple occasions of PGX missing this kind of stuff.

AND... you never hear about people cracking out a CGC 9.8 to send it to PGX because that is completely ludicrous. A CGC 9.8 is double the value.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:51 AM, Rocketman16 said:

s-l400.jpg

Hey...Rocketman...you do understand what the Qualified label means, right? And to address your other points, yes, grading is subjective. That's one of the reasons CGC has at least 3 people look at each book. It also helps to have people who are actually restoration experts grading your books; they'll see things that other folks may miss. And CGC examines the interior of each comic as well---from what I've seen, the company you're in favor of has a nasty habit of missing incredibly obvious interior flaws. And it's really not cool to come on this chat board praising another grading company. Yes, competition is healthy. But CGC has proven themselves to be the industry leader time and time again...I can't say the same for the company you're endorsing.  

Edited by The Lions Den

There is a competitor to CGC and it is not PGX. So no need to praise PGX simply for the anti-monopoly argument.

If you prefer to root for the underdog, try CBCS, just be prepared to wait a long time. I use both because I like both CGC and CBCS.

No need to choose between Chevy and Ford, get both. Take turns with each. It's all good.

Following the car analogy, PGX is the Yugo of the slabbing market. Get one if you want, I'm not interested.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:51 AM, Rocketman16 said:

How can this issue of The She-Hulk #1 be graded a 9.8 with a detached bottom staple? A 9.4 or 6 i can get with but 8, Hmm.. Suspect 😒.

s-l400.jpg

You clearly don't understand how the labels work. The book got a green label with a 9.8, meaning that it's a 9.8 IF you ignore the detached bottom staple. You could request a blue label, but the graders in that case would NOT ignore the staple, and it would have gotten a lower grade. 

You came here just to bash CGC? 

Go ahead and keep sending your books to PGX. Enjoy the resale value. :screwy:

On 3/14/2019 at 11:51 PM, Rocketman16 said:

It surprises me how folks bash PGX and praise CGC as if NO other company can grade a comic book

Hi Dan! :banana:

On 3/14/2019 at 11:51 PM, Rocketman16 said:

I read so many stories of folks sending a 9.8 PGX book to CGC and getting a lower grade. Is there anyone who has sent a 9.8 CGC to PGX and recieved a lower grade? I never see those videos.

The hilarious irony is that you don't understand why these statements refute the very point you're trying to make....

Allow me to frying pan it over the head for you: yes. You're exactly correct. No one sends in 9.8 CGCs to PGX and gets lower grades. That's precisely the point.