• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fat-Finger Bid in Current Comic Connect Auction...
1 1

16 posts in this topic

So, I did it last night. :facepalm: I decided to bid on a few books since getting a collecting re-boot bug recently...I hadn't bid there since 2014. I was bidding on 3 high grade books that were surrounding a mid-grade that  I already have in my collection. In the "final" minutes of the auction, I put three quick bids in on 3 books I was interested in...accidentally putting a high bid on the mid-grade...way over its value. I ended up winning one of the high grades and the unwanted mid-grade for about $75- $100 more than I believe it's worth. ^^:pullhair:Has anyone done this? Here's an opportunity to tell your story and let me know what you did as a solution. I emailed Comic Connect and am awaiting a response. Hey, I realize it's my bad, so don't beat me up too much.  Those little bid fields are small on a phone screen...

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

Yeah, regardless of your intentions, if you bid it up, you're on the hook, and it wouldn't be cool to try to wiggle out of it. Enjoy your new books!

Oh I've got some doozies.  I did this a couple of years ago on Heritage using their new HA mobile format on my phone. I was testing it out just watching the live bidding session. I had loaded the current lot view and was trying to navigate back to my tracked items view but the screen would not resize to give me access to that tab.  I tried resizing using the 2 finger pinch on my screen but the view had zoomed in to where it would be impossible to avoid touching the the bid and cut bid buttons.  I should have just closed it out but instead I tried one last resize and guess what: it registered it as a screen tap and a bid was put in. $800 for an ASM 50 cgc 7.0 I wouldn't have minded but I already own it at 7.0. as the seconds ticked down I was hoping someone would bid over me but nope, I was the winner. 

I immediately called and emailed them explaining the whole situation. they referred it to their sales management and within a day I had an email informing me that I would be granted a one-time cancellation as a regular long time customer in good standing. so I was off the hook thankfully.

I hated having to do that and I don't like making this a habit but on 2 separate occasions both pedigree and comic link had an error in their listing. the listing was for a comic with WHITE pages but after bidding and ultimately winning I noticed the photo of the book showed the cgc label as having OW/W pages. With pedigree I immediately caught my mistake after bidding while the auction was still going and called pedigrees support number at 7pm. I was surprised to hear  Doug's voice on the line. I complained and showed him the error. he asked why the hell didn't I confirm before bidding.  I told him I was busy frantically bidding on 17 other ending lots and frankly didn't have time to check each one. I informed him I won 7+ books I'm happy with but would like my bid cancelled on that other one. he said in a rather flustered voice that he couldn't do that and for me just to pay for the books I wanted. I said oh OK and thanked him and then he hung up. true to his word. I paid for the other books I won and not the book with OW/W pages and was never billed for it.  Thank you, Doug!

with comic link I didn't realize the mistake until it arrived 3 week's later. I called them and tried to explan the issue. I didn't save a copy of the auction page so i couldnt prove what the listing said but the invoice did list it as white pages. they claim that the photo takes precedence over the description. best they were willing to offer was for me to relist it in an auction or on the exchange. since it was only a $40 book I just ate it and sold it later at cost.

Lessons learned:

1. avoid using auction apps/mobile pages for live auctions

2. always confirm the listing, it's description, and the photo before tracking or committing to bid on any item. 

3. always email/call to confirm a listing description and photo a week before the listing ends. I also now ask for back cover scans or i wont bid.

4. Always call/email their customer service line immediately after recognizing your mistake and always be polite and keep calm.  Remind them of your status as a long time or high margin customer.

5. I now load each lot page individually  for the lots i plan to bid on and bid from within the lot page rather than the main list page. it's more work and requires more manual effort and refreshes but I haven't had a bid error since.

my best advice is to call them and beg for mercy but of all 3 comic link seems to be the least merciful.  good luck.

Edited by justafan

I was bidding on a Heritage lot. I think it was for a group of silver age books. There were 2-3 lots from the same title in the auction. I got caught up bidding for what I thought was the lot I wanted. I ran that auction up, but finished the #2 bidder. I was then surprised to see the lot I wanted pop up next. I auctually won that lot for less than the one I almost one went for. I made the consigner a couple extra dollars that day.

I have accidentally bid either too much or on the wrong auction on eBay as an item was ending. I just paid those and move on. 

I did have an experience in reverse at comiclink. A few years ago, I was bidding on one of two Iron Fist 14 CGC 9.8s that were in the same auction. One was clearly better centered and just looked better than the other. I won the better of the two along with several other books in that auction. When I received my package, I remember being disappointed in my Iron Fist 14. I set it aside. It dawned on me a couple weeks later that I may have bid on the wrong one. Looking back to the comiclink auction, I check what I won and the book did not match the scan. I check the CGC serial number and find I won the 9.8 I wanted to win, but I was sent the other 9.8 in the auction. I contacted Comiclink and was told they would look into it. Time passed and they never got back to me. I had an opportunity to sell the book for basically my cost (maybe I made a couple bucks) and I took it. I check my books more closely now as I receive them.

22 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

I was bidding on a Heritage lot. I think it was for a group of silver age books. There were 2-3 lots from the same title in the auction. I got caught up bidding for what I thought was the lot I wanted. I ran that auction up, but finished the #2 bidder. I was then surprised to see the lot I wanted pop up next. I auctually won that lot for less than the one I almost one went for. I made the consigner a couple extra dollars that day.

I have accidentally bid either too much or on the wrong auction on eBay as an item was ending. I just paid those and move on. 

I did have an experience in reverse at comiclink. A few years ago, I was bidding on one of two Iron Fist 14 CGC 9.8s that were in the same auction. One was clearly better centered and just looked better than the other. I won the better of the two along with several other books in that auction. When I received my package, I remember being disappointed in my Iron Fist 14. I set it aside. It dawned on me a couple weeks later that I may have bid on the wrong one. Looking back to the comiclink auction, I check what I won and the book did not match the scan. I check the CGC serial number and find I won the 9.8 I wanted to win, but I was sent the other 9.8 in the auction. I contacted Comiclink and was told they would look into it. Time passed and they never got back to me. I had an opportunity to sell the book for basically my cost (maybe I made a couple bucks) and I took it. I check my books more closely now as I receive them.

Yikes.  That's not ok.

1 hour ago, Shrevvy said:

Yes this is another reason why I now save those auction lot web pages and any extra back cover scans I request for any that I win.  I make sure that when the books arrive that they match cert #'s and descriptions. Haven't had to deal with that yet but I will NOT be OK if they send me a book that was not exactly the one I bid on. They should either have done the exchange or offered a full refund.

Oh, I have done one doozie on one live auction where one state had an online auction house featured some GA/SA/BA comics and comic book lots. I won 3 lots on cheap Harvey comics which I like to read for entertainment. One morning when the live auction begin online, I was sitting relaxing on Saturday with my cup of coffee. As I watched one by one each comic auction went by. Somehow I didn’t realize while I was watching the news on TV. I moved my hand to reach my coffee past my iPad on table. My thumb had brushed across the iPad screen as the live auction runs onward. Seems it triggered as the bid accepted and input to this comic book...

it was Action Comics #19 if I remembered, the front cover with Superman heaved the tank up in air. The bid was ... $2500! :o:boo:

I frozen myself for a second. My brain numbed and I said what? Then I freaked out, my eyes bugged out staring at the auction telling me I was the winner?? :mad:  I made a fast prayer that someone beat me with seconds ticking down.  

Someone did outbid me, and a great relief come out me. Then I drink my coffe to clam myself down! 

There, is my biggest doozie. 

So, this is the abridged version of the response to my inquiry:

"Thank you for the bids. Unfortunately, I don’t have a way of backing out this. If you like, I’ll resell it at 0% commission if that will help, so so you’ll have some buffer. Maybe you’ll even make some money."

I thought the solution was very generous and represents some excellent customer service. Thanks, Comiclink! 

The rocker panels on my car are rare and worth about $1200, but the sedan version are incredibly common and pretty much worthless. I was scouring eBay for deals and saw a set of my rockers for $250 and hit the BIN immediately. When they showed up they were for the sedan model. I double checked the auction and sure enough he clearly stated what they were. I ended up throwing them in the trash after failing to sell them for $50 and getting tired of them taking up space in the garage