• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a question on how CGC counts pages

24 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I recently purchased this copy of Detective Comics Issue 29 CGC and it is quite beat, but my question was, the CGC label says

puece out of page 5, affects story.

my question is when they refer to “page 5” are they referring to the 5th leaf? So back and front, the front of a page being page 1 and the back being page 2 (so 2 “pages” on one page) or does this refer to page 5 being both front and back counted as 1 page.

also when they mention,” piece out affects story” would this have to be a rather big piece or can this mean a very minor flaw, perhaps a few words cut out so therefore “affecting story”

also I know this is not the form to ask this question but since I am already here asking for this book,

do you think $1900 is a fair deal for a book like this? 

I will be buying it regardless if it is a good deal or not, but it would be nice to know I did not overpay.

sales for this book have been CRAZY for years but especially now, it’s seiosuly on fire.

thank you all!

B3EF561C-50E3-474E-9610-17A6C1060E52.jpeg

3 hours ago, Aliens said:

sales for this book have been CRAZY for years but especially now, it’s seiosuly on fire.

Isn't the cover (2nd Batman cover) the big draw for that issue?

That copy doesn't have a cover. :gossip:

27 minutes ago, Aliens said:

Oh okay, so do you mean that CGC coins them in leafs so for example he first side of page 1 is page 1 but yet back of the first page of a book would be considered as page 2 and the second page of a comic would be considered as page 3 and 4 (back and front)

that was my question. Thank you

A page is a page.  It's one side of a leaf.  1/4 of a wrap.  When they say Page 5, it's page 5 of the story (i believe).  When they say 5th page, it is the 5th page of the book.   The two are sometimes the same, but not always.  Ad pages typically are not counted as Pagex; however, they can be the Xth page.  Hope that makes sense.

3 hours ago, Aliens said:

......you'd pay $1900 for that, seriously. IMHO CGC should not be grading comic books that don't have at least most of the pages and cover. The NG designation should'nt even exist.

41 minutes ago, mrc said:

......you'd pay $1900 for that, seriously. IMHO CGC should not be grading comic books that don't have at least most of the pages and cover. The NG designation should'nt even exist.

$5,549 paid for a 1.0 in 2014,this is an expensive book, seriously. There’s very few available. IMHO CGC should offer NG designation because it verifies what is still there/what is missing and whether it is original/reprint/married/restored, which is very much in line with the original draw for getting 3rd party grading encapsulation.

4 hours ago, Aliens said:

I will be buying it regardless if it is a good deal or not, but it would be nice to know I did not overpay.

thank you all!

B3EF561C-50E3-474E-9610-17A6C1060E52.jpeg

That's twice what this exact copy sold for on Comiclink last year.

This same person's Tec 32 was bought for about $650 around the same time and they are asking $2,500.00.

Edited by D84

The only way I can see paying  $1900 for that is if it had pages needed for an incomplete copy. 

Coverless books I can understand to some degree as readers or placeholders, but incomplete coverless books are just parts books IMHO. 

these were a few of the past sales which I was basing the copy I purchased with.

The CGC census has only recorded 63 copies of Detective Comics 29 with 29 of those restored so there are only 33 unrestored copies in the census.

It is a very scarce book and although I do believe the cover is what made this book at some points even beat tec 28 even though it is Batman's third appearance and not second. But this book is the book which started my love for collecting comics and I have been looking for decades and I always seem to miss out on the deals since they sell so fast.

I figured if a tec 29 which is missing 2 more wraps (only has 1 leaf (2 pages) of the batman story left) could sell for 1500 in a competitive auction in 2015 then I do not beleive 1900 is such a bad deal for a copy which although is truly beat, has more then half of the batman story (2 more wraps) and what really suprised me was (and perhaps some of you has seen this on ebay last year) a single page from Tec 29 (page 3 to be precise, which is actually the page you see in the slab of my copy) sold for $1000! a single page! 

and with the new record of almost 100 grand for a 5.0 has given me the proof that this book is HOT.

Anyways thank you for all the advice. It is a beat book, but it will be loved.

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.25.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.26.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.26.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.30.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.30.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.30.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.28.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.33.57 PM.png

7 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

You're literally looking at page 5 in the slab.

I don't think that's how CGC counts pages. They call this page from Cap 1 page 5. If you count sides, this page is actually page 9. But this is only the 5th page if you count physical sheets. Based on that, the slab in the OP shows page 3.

captain_america_001_011_CGC_01.thumb.jpg.a15e370d65a9d05b5d9331792419abe0.jpg 

12 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

I don't think that's how CGC counts pages. They call this page from Cap 1 page 5. If you count sides, this page is actually page 9. But this is only the 5th page if you count physical sheets. Based on that, the slab in the OP shows page 3.

Ahhh, okay, I think I am getting it now. 

So, yes that is the 5th physical sheet of paper (page) from Cap 1 which is why they refer to it as the 5th page meaning the 5th sheet of page in the book, but when CGC says it is page 5 it means the actual story page either front or back. So if that page you have had a piece out and it only affected the story on the front side they would say "piece out from page 9" 

or at least I think so...

1 hour ago, stock_rotation said:

See my explanation in the duplicate thread.  It is indeed page 5.  Your example is 5th page. Completely different animals. :foryou:

Edited by KPR Comics
I came off kinda dooshy. Not my intent.

This is the old, time consuming, and boring way of counting pages, carefully going through one page at a time and visually checking for missing pages and pieces.. My way is better and much faster. I riffle the pages like a stack of bills or deck of cards, holding the book to my ear and rifling, counting as I do and listening for changes in wind resistance as the pages whoosh by.  Missing pieces/panels/coupons will cause a slight difference in sound as the page passes by your ear. You don't need take the time to visually check, you'll hear it if something is missing! Just takes practice. I've also made some progress by experimenting with riffling comics as a means for the visually impaired to grade comics and hopefully make the hobby more inclusive! :)

riffle.jpg

2 hours ago, KPR Comics said:

See my explanation in the duplicate thread.  It is indeed page 5.  Your example is 5th page. Completely different animals. :foryou:

I saw your explanation after I posted

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superman-1-coverless-incomplete-dc-1939-cgc-no-grade/a/7166-91130.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

This book is missing the 1st wrap, and has a piece out of page 2. You're looking at what CGC considers page 2, which is the 3rd story page.

image.png.fed27b85aa1e3af83d1c118932770500.png

12 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I can think of some great, complete,no pages missing comics to buy for $1900.

.......I have a coverless comic book with no pages to buy for $1900.

9 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

This is the old, time consuming, and boring way of counting pages, carefully going through one page at a time and visually checking for missing pages and pieces.. My way is better and much faster. I riffle the pages like a stack of bills or deck of cards, holding the book to my ear and rifling, counting as I do and listening for changes in wind resistance as the pages whoosh by.  Missing pieces/panels/coupons will cause a slight difference in sound as the page passes by your ear. You don't need take the time to visually check, you'll hear it if something is missing! Just takes practice. I've also made some progress by experimenting with riffling comics as a means for the visually impaired to grade comics and hopefully make the hobby more inclusive! :)

riffle.jpg

"Hello, Matt Murdock's Comics Shop! How may I help you?"

Buy it. Slice each remaining wrap in half and grade everything. Pick out the one you like most and sell the rest. You have an incomplete Tec 29 you will still have an incomplete Tec 29.... You'll probably make back more than the $1,900 original investment. 

Don't feel bad about it either. More people get to own a piece of a historic book, you get your piece for free and likely make some cash along the way too. It's what I'd do.

Slap a $100 price on the two staples and see if some sucker buys them LOL

Edited by Dan82