• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EMERALD CITY COMIC CON, March 12-15, 2020, Seattle WA
3 3

88 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, kenaran said:

Reedpop is offering a refund to anyone not wishing to go due to the virus.  Looks like part of the conditions is returning badges that had been mailed out (makes sense).  I have not yet received my badges, has anyone else?

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/events/emerald-city-comic-con-to-allow-refunds-for-fans-who-decide-not-to-go-due-to-coronavirus-concerns/

https://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/-Forms-/ECCC-2020-Fan-Refund-Form/

Note that the Seattle Times does sometimes use a paywall.

I haven't received my badges either.  I called and they said they wouldn't be shipped until the end of the February so I'm hoping to get mine any day.

4 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

Hi Guys,  if they don’t shut down the show I’ll see you all there.

If they do shut it down,  we ( Dealers) are planning a contingent show somewhere in the Seattle area.

Possibly a local Brewery, Cheers!  Terry O.

There's four of us going out there regardless so this is great to hear!  We were even talking about driving around the state visiting LCS if we had to.  

18 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

If they do shut it down,  we ( Dealers) are planning a contingent show somewhere in the Seattle area.

If the contingent show happens, post it here.  Might be worth a few hour drive to check it out :grin:

Edited by waaaghboss

9 hours ago, TerrysComics said:
14 hours ago, shortboxed said:

We're still setting up! We'll have a double booth in the comic dealer area along the wall, booth #3006. 

Well, that sounds like a fantastic idea as long as you don't decide to set it up at a local nursing home such as this one here or anywhere even remotely close to it:  :sick:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by lou_fine

14 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

Would it be on next weekend if they do decide to shut it down?

Had a look in the Seattle local news and it is now at 11 fatal cases, over 30+ cases inflected. Counted at least 45 comic guests had cancelled, 5 vendors cancelled so far. But ECCC is still on set to continue. Most of my plans I want checked on list are now gone due to cancellations ... leaving me with only comic vendors to browse. That is it.

I saw the news showing Pike Market outside on street and inside. It is pretty much empty with few people walking. They say downtown is almost felt like a ghost town. Will ECCC be like that when it does open?  

Keeping on the updates to see how it goes this weekend, my buddy is thinking to give up and get refund back. Same for me if do happens.

But a contingent comic show with dealers would be nice with beer!  

Its a shame , But I cant see the city allowing a show that usually draws close to 100k people to take place 

we now know this spreads VERY easily. 

On a side note

the business conference that was to take place at Mccormick  the last week of March 

which was usually the c2e2 date 

Has been officially cancelled 

My concern at this point is going forward 

I have Ace Boston in 2 weeks  and going forward a full schedule this year 

Most of California is officially under a state of emergency 

Including SF and San Diego 

At this point I think that any city that reports more then a couple of cases is going to go into lockdown '

25 minutes ago, Golden Memories said:

Its a shame , But I cant see the city allowing a show that usually draws close to 100k people to take place 

we now know this spreads VERY easily. 

On a side note

the business conference that was to take place at Mccormick  the last week of March 

which was usually the c2e2 date 

Has been officially cancelled 

This was to be the annual International Housewares Show.

It's a show that brings 65,000 people and about $100,000,000 in revenue to the City every year. And it got canceled in a heartbeat. Could not have been an easy decision. 

Is offering a refund on tickets the first step in paving the way for a show cancellation even though its only a week out now? I gotta think they would have some sort of idea the amount of requests coming through for refunds coupled with artist/creator/vendor cancellations to have an idea to keep this thing going or not.

6 minutes ago, Lex_Luthor said:

Is offering a refund on tickets the first step in paving the way for a show cancellation even though its only a week out now? I gotta think they would have some sort of idea the amount of requests coming through for refunds coupled with artist/creator/vendor cancellations to have an idea to keep this thing going or not.

From a dealer friend of mine: "Reed has sent out a email making refunds available to dealers and exhibitors". 

So it's not just attendees anymore. 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

From a dealer friend of mine: "Reed has sent out a email making refunds available to dealers and exhibitors". 

So it's not just attendees anymore. 

In other words ... the dealers and exhibitors now have the option to get their money back to save their health for their sakes. With one week left, I sense this weekend will see many people making decisions out there. hm

So far we got confirmation from Terry O'Neill, Torpedo, Bob Storms, Jamie Graham, Evolve Comics, Red Hood Comics, Heroes Comics, Champion Comics and us (Shortboxed) are still setting up! I'm sure plenty other dealers are still setting up as well, those are only the ones I heard about. 

The only way we drop out is if they cancel the show, otherwise we'll be there :D 

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Would it be on next weekend if they do decide to shut it down?

Had a look in the Seattle local news and it is now at 11 fatal cases, over 30+ cases inflected. Counted at least 45 comic guests had cancelled, 5 vendors cancelled so far. But ECCC is still on set to continue. Most of my plans I want checked on list are now gone due to cancellations ... leaving me with only comic vendors to browse. That is it.

I saw the news showing Pike Market outside on street and inside. It is pretty much empty with few people walking. They say downtown is almost felt like a ghost town. Will ECCC be like that when it does open?  

Keeping on the updates to see how it goes this weekend, my buddy is thinking to give up and get refund back. Same for me if do happens.

But a contingent comic show with dealers would be nice with beer!  

You should read the comments on the news article you are posting about.  I have family that live in Seattle,  nothing is farther from the truth then this article.  

Here is another article disputing the article you are referring to - https://mynorthwest.com/1749390/rantz-seattle-unifies-to-mock-coronavirus-ghost-town-report-nbc-news/?

While I am concerned with the Coronavirus I don't plan on living in fear, spraying down my customers with disinfectant spray or hiding in my house because of a virus.  

Edited by blazingbob

29 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

You should read the comments on the news article you are posting about.  I have family that live in Seattle,  nothing is farther from the truth then this article.  

Here is another article disputing the article you are referring to - https://mynorthwest.com/1749390/rantz-seattle-unifies-to-mock-coronavirus-ghost-town-report-nbc-news/?

While I am concerned with the Coronavirus I don't plan on living in fear, spraying down my customers with disinfectant spray or hiding in my house because of a virus.  

22 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Agreed. Will not live in fear, as my posse of 3 are still driving down from Canada to Seattle for comics and sci-fi. ECCC site says cancellations of corp. and creative comic talent, actors, media guests now up to 85 from 70 this morning.

I do agree with you both.  My sidekick and I aren’t afraid of this silly virus. Rather, I am saying in direct of mass numbers in people that amplify their fear projecting outward. And haven’t discount the fact that the mayor of Seattle or Reed of ECCC to shut it down ... that option still exist out there. Mayor would act because of the consequences for their political sake. I do hope it doesn’t happen.

I have other reasons in not going and it has nothing to do with virus. I have a new job coming up and think isn’t the right timing to go playing on this weekend. I still have Calgary Comic Expo and couple other cons I can go to spent money. 

I would also like to point out that States declare a state of emergency so that they can get access to the Federal funding for additional costs in dealing with this.  Lets not forget that panic drives "Money".  Where one area is losing money another is raking it in.  

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Hopefully it's something that winds up being less severe than what's occurred thus far. I think Seattle City leadership got their choices pulled from them when that King County cluster of cases and deaths hit. 

Some people, like myself, aren't afraid of the virus for themselves but for their family, friends, and co-workers. Given that exposure can make one contagious for 2 weeks before any symptoms show it's going to be person to person on the decision to attend and no know if they are bringing it home to those around them. With an elderly mother and a young daughter, both with heart conditions, I can't risk unknowingly bringing it home with me and I can't stay away for two additional weeks while I wait for the all clear.

The additional concerns and details of how this is transmitted and who it impacts are making the decisions for us in a lot of cases. 

For the vast majority of attendees it may not be of the same import.