• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EMERALD CITY COMIC CON, March 12-15, 2020, Seattle WA
3 3

88 posts in this topic

We are going!!

(Booth 6-200 outside artist alley, second location outside artist alley as well, and our booth at the celebrity signing hotel. Might as well plug our booths)

Please read on to explain why we decided to go:

Since ReedPOP inception with NYCC on a cold weekend in February, 2006, Hotflips has exhibited at every single one of their pop culture shows. There are many factors involved but i will give you the two most important reasons, above all else.

First is there commitment to the fans and exhibitors to ensure everybody has a good time and the shows are deemed worthwhile in attending from both perspectives. Attendees and dealers alike all have great stories and memories to share after each and every show.

The second reason, and to us, the most important, is that Reed has been at the forefront as far as safety for their attendees and their exhibitors since the start. They were one of the first companies to install metal detectors as well as extra security at their events. I have no doubt, Reed will take appropriate measures to ensure the enhanced safety of all of us during the show next week.

So, with all that being said, respect peoples space, wash your hands and let's all use common sense. Now lets geek out, have fun, and create more of those memories and everlasting stories!!

Jeff

No passes for me yet either. 

I respect everyone who's still going.  Our plan was I'd get my comic book fix on Thursday and then make a family outing of it Saturday.  We've got a 6 year old and twin 4 year olds, there's just no way we can consider it with this going on. 

47 minutes ago, cabinboy said:

Very classy and appropriate on their part. Must have been real hard to do but probably the right thing. 

39 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Now if we can just get Terry to confirm the location of his flash con ....

I don't mind a 2 or 3 day flash con at Tacoma Convention Center which was previously used by Jet City/Grit City cons. Sample 10' x 10' booth pricing but multiply by # days of con: Tacoma not that far south of Seattle $

Got a text message from my buddy told me ECCC was postponed until summer. I was surprised that they did that ... had to be a first that ECCC cancelled to postpone for later dates this year. Well, that is a good move to save this show.

My questions is whatever Reed will honour the tickets many of you had gotten in mail for the later dates this summer? Or will we all get refunds back and start all over to purchase new tickets again?

15 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Got a text message from my buddy told me ECCC was postponed until summer. I was surprised that they did that ... had to be a first that ECCC cancelled to postpone for later dates this year. Well, that is a good move to save this show.

My questions is whatever Reed will honour the tickets many of you had gotten in mail for the later dates this summer? Or will we all get refunds back and start all over to purchase new tickets again?

CS told me refunds are being issued for tix/merch automatically within 30 days, tix received in the mail won't be honored and prob just trash at this point. When they have the date set this summer (hopefully) then they will put tix up and we go through the process again.

Prob a ton of work getting an event this size coordinated again for later this summer. Hopefully I can get a 4 day pass this time around and not have to buy tix for individual days again.

We'll see what happens.  I plan my vacation around the show each year, I will likely only be able to go two days if it does get rescheduled successfully.  I'm at least slightly skeptical about that happening... not the sincerity of them wanting to do it, but that the situation will have changed enough to make it doable and they can find a weekend when enough guests & vendors will be able to attend. 

Right now I'm just looking forward to 2021; if we get something later this year it's just a bonus.

20 hours ago, Lex_Luthor said:

CS told me refunds are being issued for tix/merch automatically within 30 days, tix received in the mail won't be honored and prob just trash at this point. When they have the date set this summer (hopefully) then they will put tix up and we go through the process again.

Prob a ton of work getting an event this size coordinated again for later this summer. Hopefully I can get a 4 day pass this time around and not have to buy tix for individual days again.

I believe Reed and the Washington State convention officials had already talked about finding which dates they can host ECCC for summer. The one part I would not like is the chase in getting the 4 day pass, as they had increased the price for this pass (last year was about $149, I think) and that the type of pass tickets usually go gone very fast. I missed out on that this year, so I might have a second chance?

The other thing is they will have to reschedule the show for summertime. They now have about 3-4 months time to get media guests, vendors, etc on list to attend. That’s short notice ... I hope they do good in their jobs with all luck. The guests and vendors usually have their schedule planned ahead up to a year, not sure if ECCC will get the same ones?

I can’t recall a major con in past that have to do 3-4 months short term in scheduling everything again from a postponed show in the same year. 

4 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I believe Reed and the Washington State convention officials had already talked about finding which dates they can host ECCC for summer. The one part I would not like is the chase in getting the 4 day pass, as they had increased the price for this pass (last year was about $149, I think) and that the type of pass tickets usually go gone very fast. I missed out on that this year, so I might have a second chance?

The other thing is they will have to reschedule the show for summertime. They now have about 3-4 months time to get media guests, vendors, etc on list to attend. That’s short notice ... I hope they do good in their jobs with all luck. The guests and vendors usually have their schedule planned ahead up to a year, not sure if ECCC will get the same ones?

I can’t recall a major con in past that have to do 3-4 months short term in scheduling everything again from a postponed show in the same year. 

Great points. IMO at this point instead of trying to pull this event together in the next 3-4 months (will the outbreak be any better or worse even), which is a huge endeavor, is to do a full on cancellation and put the resources together and go full steam ahead and plan for 2021. Vendors/guests/artists/celebs I image are all booked for the rest of the year at other con's and events. I would rather do that then have 40% of the talent, artists and vendors not there because they are at other cons. I get there are big dollars at stake and a boost to the local economy but how good can the show really be on such a short terms planning schedule? Just random thoughts. But I say cancel and get a huge head start on 2021. Hey we still have Rose City Comic Con in Sept.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:53 AM, shortboxed said:

Apologies for the cross post, but for anyone in the Seattle area, we're hosting a comic swap on April 4 so you can still get your fix. More details here: 

Any chance of moving a mini-ECCC to a Woodinville, WA weekend? No covid-19 in the northeast suburbs of Seattle??

I was planning to go to this event no matter what but the following happened.

The show hotel cancelled my reservation without me even asking for it, after the convention was cancelled.

I had to cancel my flight to Seattle, as no other dealers were  going to be there, my inventory was going to be driven there.

I still plan to be at the Washing State Summer Con: June 20-21st at the Washington State Fair and Events Center, Puyallup, WA

Washington State Summer Convention

the backup plan for a local show only worked if the public was not so panicked, and Me and my comics were already in the Seattle area.

Best Regards 
                           Terry O'Neill 
                                 Terry's Comics

Edited by TerrysComics
update