• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If Marvel and DC were smart

33 posts in this topic

I've heard numerous stories of people getting interested from the movies and going to buy the comics.  What they find is that the comics are completely different from the movies.  "Do you want female Thor, Hulk Thor, Crippled Thor, Bad guy Thor-" (being facetious but you know what I mean)
Potential reader goes 'nevermind'.

In the 60s the Batman TV show was immediately reflected in the comics-they started making the Batmanmobile look like the one on the show and the stories reflected the show.  Readers ate em up.

Edited by kav

All right, I remain bored, so I'll throw my hat into the ring. How to "save" comics, Noman's way:

Give away comics at the movies. Nice ones. Have them "to be continued" in the comics found at the LCS. Make them less expensive/better quality. Take a hit. You're making bank at the movies, spend some of that on the books/creating new properties. As Kav said, have the comics reflect the movies. If it's in The Avenger's movies, it's in The Avenger's comic.

This makes sense to me. Why would this not at least help the situation of not enough people buying/reading new comics?

Don't jump all over me if this has been covered in multiple threads over multiple years here. I didn't start this thread and everything has been discussed here. Over and over and over. Spend two solid years here and you get the jist of it all. Plus it's kinda a fun conversation with maybe some newer members throwing ideas out there. 

Edited by NoMan

13 minutes ago, NoMan said:

All right, I remain bored, so I'll throw my hat into the ring. How to "save" comics, Noman's way:

Give away comics at the movies. Nice ones. Have them "to be continued" in the comics found at the LCS. Make them less expensive/better quality. Take a hit. You're making bank at the movies, spend some of that on the books/creating new properties. As Kav said, have the comics reflect the movies. If it's in The Avenger's movies, it's in The Avenger's comic.

This makes sense to me. Why would this not at least help the situation of not enough people buying/reading new comics?

Don't jump all over me if this has been covered in multiple threads over multiple years here. I didn't start this thread and everything has been discussed here. Over and over and over. Spend two solid years here and you get the jist of it all. Plus it's kinda a fun conversation with maybe some newer members throwing ideas out there. 

$

9 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I'm not sure what this is. Do they give it away at movies? Has someone stole my idea?

Bingo! I got one at the cinema. Everyone who went to see it in like the first week of release got one.

37 minutes ago, NoMan said:

they could at least have some cheap newsprint type comic freebie to take as you enter the theater 

Than I guess the idea's not working. I have no idea how to save comics. Perhaps have a big final "tour" (like Motley Crue) and say no more comics, ever. Create a rush to buy "the last comics ever made by marvel and dc."

Then start it up again. Then kill it. Then...

37 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

I got one at the cinema. Everyone who went to see it in like the first week of release got one.

Think the Venom movie logo comic was just distributed in USA so nada in Canada. :(

34 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Than I guess the idea's not working. I have no idea how to save comics. Perhaps have a big final "tour" (like Motley Crue) and say no more comics, ever. Create a rush to buy "the last comics ever made by marvel and dc."

Then start it up again. Then kill it. Then...

they need to focus on where people will read them: digital on their phones/ tablets. The error they are making is how that is marketed. I agree with the idea of providing comics as the viewer goes to a movie. I LOVE the idea of seeing the film tie in to a comic, but instead of printed make it a digital download. "Go download the comic to see what happens next!"

Could even have some device users touch their phone to as they exit the movie that auto downloads it for the user. Hook the user as a digital reader and you might find some sales that way. Baffles me that they don't do this.

That Venom comic is an AMC Theater exclusive that came with a ticket on opening weekend. I got a few of them. It does not leave any cliffhangers to be continued at your local comic shop. It's entirely movie-focused.

The actual Venom comic series active at release and still active now is entirely unrelated to the movie's Venom. 

A Venom limited series continuing off of a movie-exclusive book available in print and digital (purchased through a QR code on the movie book) would have been a good idea.

13 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Think the Venom movie logo comic was just distributed in USA so nada in Canada. :(

I'm in England. It was Odeon here, and after a quick look AMC in the US. Odd that it wasn't available in to you Canadians.

There's a digital copy free online http://read.marvel.com/#/labelbook/49874

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/09/14/venom-is-getting-an-exclusive-custom-comic-book-movie-tie-in

2 hours ago, Dan82 said:

I'm in England. It was Odeon here, and after a quick look AMC in the US. Odd that it wasn't available in to you Canadians.

There's a digital copy free online http://read.marvel.com/#/labelbook/49874

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/09/14/venom-is-getting-an-exclusive-custom-comic-book-movie-tie-in

The only comic book that I've ever bought at a UK cinema was a Marvel Super Special 16; the magazine version of The Empire Strikes Back adaptation by Al Williamson.  I got it from the Manchester Odeon, and that would've been in 1980.  A US copy, as well.

I agree but I think the movie style comics should be stand alone out of continuity stories. I think what REALLY drives readers away is the constant crossing over plot lines with books I don’t read and don’t want to read. If I want to read Amazing Spoder-Man I do not want to have to buy an issue of Fantastic Four or Ghost Rider to get part 4 of 6 of the current storyline. I also don’t want to have to get on Wikipedia to figure out what the hell is going on because this is Earth 626 and not Earth whatever the last story I read was in. Continuity is a disaster, forced corporaty synergy drove away millions of readers to milk an extra buck from thousands of readers. 

And yeah, pandering to every possible demographic except the one that matters, 10-14 year old kids, is a wasted effort. Make a story EVERYONE can love. Top talent, all ages friendly content, easy to pick up a book. 

5 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

They had one for Canada. It has a different theater logo on it. Can't find a picture now buy maybe on of our Canadian boardies can post it.

If they were smart , they would do everything in their power to get comics distributed to more mainstream locations. In my town here in the edge of the Bay Area, there is no place at all to buy comics. The grocery store here used to sell comics but went with a different distributer about 5 years ago . Every time a book fair is held at the schools here, they are packed with kids wanting to buy reading material.

4 hours ago, GregoryGoat said:

If they were smart , they would do everything in their power to get comics distributed to more mainstream locations.

They are getting their comics seen by new fans everyday with mainstream locations,but it is digital. They are on the Kindles,smartphones and iPads. That`s the new mainstream. The new newsstands.

There is no turning back. Digital comics is the way to go because more people can access them and they are much cheaper. 

Marvel and DC has thousands of comic books on Comixology and Amazon.com.

I don't see why they would want to push print comics unless it`s Wal-Mart and Target we are talking about.

The comic industry is fine.  The top characters are more well known now than they were in the 1960s to 1990s.

Spider-Man, X-Men and the Avengers are bigger than ever.

Captain Marvel an obscure 1960/70s character is on her way to a billion dollars box office.

I think Marvel rather have that than if a bunch of LCS sells 20000 copies of Captain Marvel a month.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

They have to promote digital comics better though. I only know two comic readers in real life. Neither of them read digital. If Comixology could be as popular as Cyanide And Happiness or Hyperbole And A Half there would be a tsunami of money flowing into the industry