• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman #4 spine tick - colour breaking or not? Damage or defect? Should I press?

15 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a Sandman #4 in what appears to be in great condition. I know on Sandman #4 that there is usually a spine tick on the front cover (I have seen 9.8's with it, so I'm assuming it is a manufacturing defect). However, I have seen some 9.8s with other spine ticks on them. My comic has a spine tick and I'm not sure if it is a) colour breaking or not and b) whether it is a manufacturing error or not. Also, if it is NOT a manufacturing defect, should I press it? Please let me know what you guys think. Keep in mind that Sandman #4 (along with the rest of the Sandman run) suffered from Vertigo spine and also many manufacturing defects. Either way, let me know what you guys think. Thanks again. 

20190307_225423.thumb.jpg.62818412451de8955d25390e41c1692d.jpg

Edited by Spawn1709

s-l500.jpg

Your best friend. Can't tell if it breaks color? Use this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Mini-10-x-21mm-Jeweler-Loupe-Magnifier-Magnifying-Glass-Eye-Loupe-Foldable/332888082766?epid=7026051389&hash=item4d81ad094e:g:FXoAAOSwhJFb7713

That's just a sample; there are hundreds more just like it. 

Your spine stress mark is slightly color breaking from the photo, and not a production flaw. It can't be fixed, but it can be mediated with gentle pressing.

"Vertigo spine", huh..? Is that what they're calling it these days..? ;)

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

s-l500.jpg

Your best friend. Can't tell if it breaks color? Use this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Mini-10-x-21mm-Jeweler-Loupe-Magnifier-Magnifying-Glass-Eye-Loupe-Foldable/332888082766?epid=7026051389&hash=item4d81ad094e:g:FXoAAOSwhJFb7713

That's just a sample; there are hundreds more just like it. 

Your spine stress mark is slightly color breaking from the photo, and not a production flaw. It can't be fixed, but it can be mediated with gentle pressing.

"Vertigo spine", huh..? Is that what they're calling it these days..? ;)

I might have to pick one of those up. 

So, you think it does break colour? Darn. That's a shame. Do you think it will affect the grade hugely? It doesn't look like it breaks colour too much (if at all). I think it still can get a 9.8. These Sandman books are always in pretty bad condition, even at a 9.8. 

Do you think I should upload a couple more pictures? 

Edited by Spawn1709

Sometimes a spin tick looks like it might break color but then it doesn't from another angle.  The jeweller's loop is a great tool.  I'm too old and need one with an LED light when examining that micro.

Being on the back cover, you might have a chance at 9.8.  It really becomes a subjective area if the rest of the book display no flaws.

6 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Sometimes a spin tick looks like it might break color but then it doesn't from another angle.  The jeweller's loop is a great tool.  I'm too old and need one with an LED light when examining that micro.

Being on the back cover, you might have a chance at 9.8.  It really becomes a subjective area if the rest of the book display no flaws.

The rest of the book looks pretty great (in my biased opinion anyway). I definitely need a Jeweller's Loupe. I used a magnifying glass and I really couldn't tell if it breaks colour or not. Thanks for the comment :) 

Edited by Spawn1709

16 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

If you press it I see a 9.4

Nothing more? I know you probably say that due to the spine ticks. I'm pretty sure they are manufacturing defects. I've seen them on other copies of 9.8s as well. The 9.8s I see on eBay are really ugly looking 9.8s, so I was kind of thinking that my ugly copy might have a chance as well :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandman-2nd-Series-4-1989-CGC-9-8-0958793009/132972970897?hash=item1ef5ce8391:g:HLYAAOSwNRJcep-j

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandman-2nd-Series-4-1989-CGC-9-8-0345196015/362572277078?hash=item546afde556:g:J4QAAOSw8mtcfMcR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sandman-4-Gaiman-CBCS-Graded-9-8-NM-MT-DC-Comics1989-1st-Lucifer-Morningstar-/142119142252

Edited by Spawn1709

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I am rather picky when it comes to grading. Your copy looks fine, send it in make sure you get it pressed to get out the large non color breaking bend on the back cover and with that press maybe the spine ticks seal up.

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Good luck!  :wishluck:

Thank you all. I appreciate the comments :)