• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spin roll? Or normal?

25 posts in this topic

This is the second book that I purchased from eBay and looks really nice except for the spin. Does this down the grade or if it manufacturing? Trying to decide if I should keep it or send it back. Thanks for all the help!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Technically, it doesn't look like a spine roll, but it's probably not "normal" either. This kind of flaw would likely keep the book out of the higher NM range, which isn't very attractive for a modern comic. This is one of the reasons why graded books are so popular...you can be pretty sure you know what you're going to get. :foryou:

Edited by The Lions Den

The rest of the book looks so clean except this spin. In your opinion is this something that’s fixable and worth doing or should I return it? I’m cool with a 9.4 maybe even a 9.2 as I mainly collect the artgerm covers for the art but what’s your 2 cents?

Edited by zuki

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it is a definite defect and comes from storing the book in a box against other books. It is a form of spine roll and usually comes out with a competent pressing.

In your opinion would you have it pressed? I paid $30 for the book. How much of a drop on the grade will the book take for such damage?  If not a considerable amount I may just consider keeping it as is. Still really love this book. 

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

you could press it and dramatically improve the grade.

What book is it and how valuable is it?  If it is worth $30 I would bother pressing it.

I would have paid about the same amount getting it from unknown comics. I'm totally ok with this not being a 9.8 but if its a significant drop (anything under 9.0) I may consider just returning it or maybe getting some cash back on it. Sorry don't know much about grading to know how much of a hit it will take but glad to have you guys knowledge to go off of. Thanks again. 

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Technically, it doesn't look like a spine roll, but it's probably not "normal" either. This kind of flaw would likely keep the book out of the higher NM range, which isn't very attractive for a modern comic. This is one of the reasons why graded books are so popular...you can be pretty sure you know what you're going to get. :foryou:

My original idea was to get it graded but for $100 for this book in a 9.8 I couldn't justify it knowing I can get autos for around or well under $100 (not this specific book but other artgerm covers with yellow cgc tag at 9.8 or 9.6). 

the defect is created when the book is stored in a box with a whole bunch of other books, usually without a backing board. It isn't in alignment with the other books, and has shifted to the side and the spine of the book in front of it creates a roll. I attempted to draw a picture of what I mean.

001.jpg

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

the defect is created when the book is stored in a box with a whole bunch of other books, usually without a backing board. It isn't in alignment with the other books, and has shifted to the side and the spine of the book in front of it creates a roll. I attempted to draw a picture of what I mean.

001.jpg

Wow perfectly explains what happened here. just glad there isn't any creases but man can you really feel it. 

This book is less than 6 months old, is it not...? Much too young to have developed "stacking crease" under ordinary circumstances. I'd be willing to bet money this happened as a result of printing, as with tens of thousands of other books like this. I would not be too concerned with it. Yes, it *can* be removed with pressing, but if the rest of the book is flawless, this should not prevent a 9.8 in the ordinary course of events.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That is not necessarily true. Many books are produced this way, and you can see this "defect" right out of the case.

I'm not saying it's not...but one cannot say it is, either. It is a very common production "flaw."

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This book is less than 6 months old, is it not...? Much too young to have developed "stacking crease" under ordinary circumstances. I'd be willing to bet money this happened as a result of printing, as with tens of thousands of other books like this. I would not be too concerned with it. Yes, it *can* be removed with pressing, but if the rest of the book is flawless, this should not prevent a 9.8 in the ordinary course of events.

The rest of the book is flawless unread and has sharp corner without any other defects that I can see with the little knowledge I do have about looking at a modern book. As cool as it would be to get a 9.8 even a 9.6 would make me happy. I guess I have finally chosen to roll the dice and just grade it. at the end of the day the art is beautiful and have no intention of selling to make money. If I decide to have it pressed I will submit results if not I will submit the outcome of the grading process to officially close this discussion and see what cgc says about it. Thanks for your input!!! 

Just now, zuki said:

The rest of the book is flawless unread and has sharp corner without any other defects that I can see with the little knowledge I do have about looking at a modern book. As cool as it would be to get a 9.8 even a 9.6 would make me happy. I guess I have finally chosen to roll the dice and just grade it. at the end of the day the art is beautiful and have no intention of selling to make money. If I decide to have it pressed I will submit results if not I will submit the outcome of the grading process to officially close this discussion and see what cgc says about it. Thanks for your input!!! 

if you are submitting it for grading make sure you get it pressed. Waste of time and money if you do not press it.

Thank you everyone for all the input really happy to be apart of this community you all have been nothing more then extremely helpful and informative!!! This is by far the best spot to get real answers to comic book questions and concerns!

7 minutes ago, zuki said:

Will do the price of the service gives no reason to at least try. 

And I'll chime in and say it's a waste of time and money if you DO press it, because it's a very common "issue" with comics that should not, in the ordinary course of things, affect the grade at all...but CGC is wonky, so it's hard to say. Your call.

And some advice: if you're unsure how a new comic is supposed to "look", go to your local comic store and look at the new books on display...see the wide variety of production quality between publishers, and even within specific issues. The more you expose yourself to large numbers of books, the more familiar you will become with what is common printing variation and "within tolerance" vs. what is post printing damage. And I recommend that for everyone interested in ultra high grade books.

For example, if you saw this book "in the wild":

s-l1600.jpg

You might think the book was badly damaged because of those horrifying tears near the UPC box. But virtually the entire print run of this book was damaged this way (same as The 'Nam #52), because something wasn't calibrated correctly at the printer...so they don't count off "as much" as they would on a regular issue.