• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top-10 Golden Age Books (FMV)

40 posts in this topic

As we know, the top books in our hobby have changed quite a bit over the decades. Today, some are impacted by movies, others continue to thrive without Hollywood exposure and others have faded as time has passed.

What are the Top-10 most valuable GA books today?

One could measure that a number of different ways, but I feel comparing low grade FMV tells us a little more than comparing high grade FMV. How valuable is THAT BOOK vs. the value of said book only in a particular condition.

Just as import as finding out which books are the Top-10 most valuable is discussing “why” they are the most valuable. What about those 10 books in particular makes them so desirable?

That subject is open for discussion. :popcorn:

My opinion has little to no merit, but it may be worth sharing.  Dealers know the answer to this question.  Hardcore Golden Age collectors with deep pockets, that have been collecting for 50 years could get concise, and iron out details.  My list won't be in the ballpark, but may be worth seeing what an avid hobbyist thinks vs the truth.  

1) Action Comics #1 

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

4) Batman #1

5) Captain America #1

6) All-Star #8

7) Flash #1

8) Marvel Comics #1

9) Wonder Woman #1

10) Suspense #3

...top 10 most desired is a separate list from most valuable.  The lists wouldn’t be very similar. 

Edited by eschnit

4 minutes ago, telerites said:

@rob_react tracks record sales and has an article on the most valuable comic books.  His site has a lot of great info and articles.  It is always a fun topic to explore.

https://itsalljustcomics.com/the-most-valuable-comic-books-in-the-world/

^^

The focus in that article is on individual copies, so if we're trying to do a new version of the Overstreet top ten, then that article is no good. I will say that, in high grade at least, Hulk #1, Amazing Fantasy #15 and Fantastic Four #1 are all in the mix. Based on the list posted above, as a ready example, there's no million dollar copy of Wonder Woman #1, Flash #1 or Suspense #3 and the best copies of those three silver age books would all sell for seven figures. Marvel Comics #1 on the other hand... I know we're talking about golden age here, but it's worth noting. 

I will also take the bait! hm

1 hour ago, rob_react said:

^^

The focus in that article is on individual copies, so if we're trying to do a new version of the Overstreet top ten, then that article is no good. I will say that, in high grade at least, Hulk #1, Amazing Fantasy #15 and Fantastic Four #1 are all in the mix. Based on the list posted above, as a ready example, there's no million dollar copy of Wonder Woman #1, Flash #1 or Suspense #3 and the best copies of those three silver age books would all sell for seven figures. Marvel Comics #1 on the other hand... I know we're talking about golden age here, but it's worth noting. 

I will also take the bait! hm

I often say that FMV of low grade is more telling because it speaks to the value/desirability of the book itself. There’s undeniable value in high grade copies of desirable books. To have survived 60-80 years and remain well preserved is remarkable. 

But if it’s that much easier to acquire, that much less desirable because it’s beat up, then it has a shakier core.

We could still include SA books, and if we did, what would the Top-10 FMV list look like in unrestored 2.0 condition?

38 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I often say that FMV of low grade is more telling because it speaks to the value/desirability of the book itself. There’s undeniable value in high grade copies of desirable books. To have survived 60-80 years and remain well preserved is remarkable. 

But if it’s that much easier to acquire, that much less desirable because it’s beat up, then it has a shakier core.

We could still include SA books, and if we did, what would the Top-10 FMV list look like in unrestored 2.0 condition?

Give it another 6 months or so and every random awful looking PCH book ever created will be more expensive than Batman 1. :baiting: 

Scarcity drives the value of a lot of the PCH and GGA books...owning a copy is hard to do. If it wasn't, prices come down in lower grades. There is a high correlation between books where lower grades sell for a larger percentage of higher grades and books that are very rare.

4 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Scarcity drives the value of a lot of the PCH and GGA books...owning a copy is hard to do. If it wasn't, prices come down in lower grades. There is a high correlation between books where lower grades sell for a larger percentage of higher grades and books that are very rare.

I call that the "entry level" effect... its not as linear/arithmetic or even exponentially predictive as many books seem to be that are more commonly traded... larger pool of buyers at the shallow end than the deep end

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, eschnit said:

My opinion has little to no merit, but it may be worth sharing.  Dealers know the answer to this question.  Hardcore Golden Age collectors with deep pockets, that have been collecting for 50 years could get concise, and iron out details.  My list won't be in the ballpark, but may be worth seeing what an avid hobbyist thinks vs the truth.  

1) Action Comics #1 

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

4) Batman #1

5) Captain America #1

6) All-Star #8

7) Flash #1

8) Marvel Comics #1

9) Wonder Woman #1

10) Suspense #3

...top 10 most desired is a separate list from most valuable.  The lists wouldn’t be very similar. 

currently Flash 1 and Marvel 1 are selling more than equivalent as8...that has fallen since its high 2 years ago, while the other 2 continue to grow

I believe the order today (always changing of course) is

action 1

tec 27

superman 1

batman 1

action 7

marvel 1

whiz 2 (1)

tec 31

captain America 1

all American 16

flash 1

(not in top 10) all star 8 (pep 22 probably same range)

Edited by G.A.tor

2 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

action 1

tec 27

superman 1

batman 1

marvel 1

whiz 2 (1)

tec 31

all American 16

flash 1

all star 8 (pep 22 probably same range)

I like your list Rick, but, no Cap #1? just wondering since all the grade for grade comparisons to Batman #1

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

action 1

tec 27

superman 1

batman 1

action 7

marvel 1

whiz 2 (1)

tec 31

all American 16

flash 1

(not in top 10) all star 8 (pep 22 probably same range)

Thanks for sharing your list Rick. Your expertise is always appreciated. Is Cap #1 out of the Top-10?

3 minutes ago, thedude said:

I like your list Rick, but, no Cap #1? just wondering since all the grade for grade comparisons to Batman #1

I edited...knew I was forgetting something lol

3 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Thanks for sharing your list Rick. Your expertise is always appreciated. Is Cap #1 out of the Top-10?

nope, I accidentally deleted out...my bad...

and this isn't "my" list, this is based on most recent  sales (private and public that I know of)...

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

nope, I accidentally deleted out...my bad...

and this isn't "my" list, this is based on most recent  sales (private and public that I know of)...

I know. Simply meant your list based on your knowledge of what’s selling and for how much.