• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SWAMP THING 1
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I HAD A GUY PRESS A SWAMP THING 1.  HE PUT IT IN A HUMIDOR AND THE CONDENSATION DRIPPED ON THE BOOK. IT LEFT A WATER STAIN ON THE INSIDE FRONT COVER AT THE TOP. IT WAS ABOUT THE SIZE OF 2 QUARTERS SIDE BY SIDE. I HAD IT GRADED AND IT CAME BACK A 6.5. GRADING NOTES MENTIONED THE STAIN. I WAS WONDERING HOW MANY POINTS IT LOST BECAUSE OF THE STAIN. IT ALSO NOTED A SMALL TEAR ON THE BACK COVER AND A SMALL CREASE

Pictures would be needed to offer an opinion.  But obviously with a tear and a crease it's not likely the book was a 9.4 without the moisture stain. 

I won't even comment on the pressing and using a humidor....

Without seeing the book it's impossible to say, but water stains are never viewed favorably by CGC. I'm sure the stain contributed to the overall grade of the book. I'm sorry this happened to you. I would definitely contact the person responsible and explain what happened...

18 hours ago, OutOnParole said:

That's what you get when you use some DIY pressers. A pro  would have insurance for just such a problem.

The whole scenario would not exist if a pro was used. 

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:09 PM, MARK ARNEY said:

I HAD A GUY PRESS A SWAMP THING 1.  HE PUT IT IN A HUMIDOR AND THE CONDENSATION DRIPPED ON THE BOOK. IT LEFT A WATER STAIN ON THE INSIDE FRONT COVER AT THE TOP. IT WAS ABOUT THE SIZE OF 2 QUARTERS SIDE BY SIDE. I HAD IT GRADED AND IT CAME BACK A 6.5. GRADING NOTES MENTIONED THE STAIN. I WAS WONDERING HOW MANY POINTS IT LOST BECAUSE OF THE STAIN. IT ALSO NOTED A SMALL TEAR ON THE BACK COVER AND A SMALL CREASE

Two stains that size would result in a grade loss of 2.0 or greater. I have seen books that would have been a slam dunk 9.8 come back 8.5 and lower for a small stain, let alone quarter sized. 

Over time, I am going to assume that the water stains are not the only defects this improperly pressed book will exhibit. 

Even though the book is slabbed a scan wills till help determine what the grade MAY have been if it hadn't been damaged in the humidification process.