• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken CGC Case

4 posts in this topic

Hello! I am very new to the CGC system, and I've just made an account here to ask some questions that I have no clue how to handle? 

I am asking about a broken case and since I am very VERY new to the CGC system, I was hoping someone could help me? I've had an issue of Daredevil #181 (graded 9.2) sealed in a CGC case for quite a while now, and when I came home from work a couple of days ago, I come home to see that my youngest son had gotten ahold of the case (it clearly fell from the top of my dresser) because the whole front paneling was almost completely shattered. I didn't sense any use in keeping it in nearly shattered case so I busted the rest of it out and removed both the comic and the original label used when it was graded. I studied the comic for roughly ten minutes and saw no visible damage to it (the comic is still sealed in between the two sheets of plastic, haven't removed it) and it looked the same. I am wondering how I should have this handled? If I were to ship this to CGC would it even be accepted for reholdering or not? And would it also have to be reevaluated? Would the comic itself somehow lose value to it as well?

Thank you for your time and I hope someone gets back to me on this. Forgive me if this was not the correct forum to talk about this topic on, but I am the newest of noobs so it seemed pretty right to me. If the post must be removed then I do not mind. Thank you to anyone in advance who responds to this also. I greatly appreciate your help.

20190316_235523.jpg

If you submit back to CGC, the comic book will most likely be graded again.  Value itself is dependent on marketplace comparison (considering the grade and someone willing to pay for it) so just having it regarded won't make the "value" go down.  However, the grade could drop from the 9.2 (or, I assume it could also go up depending on who is grading) and that could affect performance in the marketplace.

Since it's actually no longer in the case, I don't know if this qualifies as a reholder submission. I'd recommend contacting CGC and ask what they recommend.

Edited by Donald Jack

53 minutes ago, Donald Jack said:

If you submit back to CGC, the comic book will most likely be graded again.  Value itself is dependent on marketplace comparison (considering the grade and someone willing to pay for it) so just having it regarded won't make the "value" go down.  However, the grade could drop from the 9.2 (or, I assume it could also go up depending on who is grading) and that cold affect performance in the marketplace.

Since it's actually no longer in the case, I don't know if this qualifies as a reholder submission. I'd recommend contacting CGC and ask what they recommend.

Yah as stated, it won't qualify for a re-holder.  So if you want to submit it, essentially you will just be getting a comic graded normally.  Of course you can contact CGC and get specifics.

As for specifics, it is now worth whatever a normal NM- copy of that issue goes for raw.  Whether its worth it or not to re-submit, calculate all of the fees (shipping, insurance, grading, return shipping, return insurance, time value of money, opportunity cost) and compare the expected value of the expected grade and compare it to how much it is worth raw.  Usually you can use GPA analysis to find out sales history of graded comics, but this comic is bought/sold quite a bit so you can probably get an idea from 'sold' prices on ebay.  Then you do your own math and analyze against your own preferences, and see how things shake out according to your own goals and tastes.  Good luck.

Also, in case this wasn't clear, your comic is definitely worth less now than it was when graded in the CGC case.  But also that does not automatically make it worth regarding.  Gotta do the math.

If he were to mail that thing in, should he leave it in that inner well anyway or carefully cut it out and bag and board it? I guess that's my question. I'm thinking leave it in the well. I don't know.