• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COPYRIGHT VIOLATION IN MINNESOTA

75 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Yes......
you are really now making my and other's point.

You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with Disney. 

Maybe it will go OK. Maybe it will go really bad.  Fact is Disney has more $$ than a lot of countries. It's not going well for the (unlicensed, unauthorized artist) if Disney takes an interest. 

Amy Grant? "Apparently" religious? Was that a joke?? 

All I know is she objected to her image being used in the occult and I believe Marvel settled with her.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, www.alexgross.com said:

ultimately i was just posting this to see if any boardies had a good lawyer in minnesota. i have a lawyer looking into this now, so we can drop the whole IP debate. thanks for all the legal advice. 

I've done a lot of reading on this topic and it seems every lawyer says something different.  Good luck to you though.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

All I know is she objected to her image being used in the occult and Marvel settled with her.

Assuming you are being serious and obviously haven't googled Amy Grant...

She is referred to as "The Queen of Christian Pop". She's sold 30 million albums world wide (mostly Christian Music, though she made a couple of straight up pop music albums in the mid 1980's) and had the first Christian album that went Platinum.  She has also authored several Christian books. So yeah... she might have a legitimate complaint - and complaint of harm done - by having her unauthorized appearance in a comic book featuring magic and the occult. 

1 minute ago, Tony S said:

She is referred to as "The Queen of Christian Pop". She's sold 30 million albums world wide (mostly Christian Music, though she made a couple of straight up pop music albums in the mid 1980's) and had the first Christian album that went Platinum.  She has also authored several Christian books. So yeah... she might have a legitimate complaint - and complaint of harm done - by having her unauthorized appearance in a comic book featuring magic and the occult. 

Gotcha.  I knew absolutely nothing about Amy Grant except she sings.

7 hours ago, kav said:
7 hours ago, Tony S said:

Gotcha.  I knew absolutely nothing about Amy Grant except she sings.

I have never heard of her.

11 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

ultimately i was just posting this to see if any boardies had a good lawyer in minnesota. i have a lawyer looking into this now, so we can drop the whole IP debate. thanks for all the legal advice. 

You're really really talented at art. I wish I could draw. I'd just draw pictures of nakid women all day and night. I'd have a nude studio at my swank artist loft in downtown. Have good looking women come to my loft for me to draw them. Go to parties every night with the in crowd. Important people would write about me in ArtForum Magazine. I'd be on the cover about 2 -3 times a year. 

Sorry I have no legal advice for you. I just wanted you to know I'm jealous of your artist life and let you know I would draw pictures of nakid women. 

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

You're really really talented at art. I wish I could draw. I'd just draw pictures of nakid women all day and night. I'd have a nude studio at my swank artist loft in downtown. Have good looking women come to my loft for me to draw them. Go to parties every night with the in crowd. Important people would write about me in ArtForum Magazine. I'd be on the cover about 2 -3 times a year. 

Sorry I have no legal advice for you. I just wanted you to know I'm jealous of your artist life and let you know I would draw pictures of nakid women. 

What the fk did I just read..?

On 3/16/2019 at 10:02 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

any fellow boardies here live near the mall of america in minnesota? i recently learned of these losers, called CANVAS STUDIO, who are violating mine and probably many other artists' copyrights by reprinting our images, unlicensed. you 

can clearly see the image of darth vader on a unicorn, which is my painting. they have cropped and distorted it badly to fit on their lame format. i'm willing to bet every single image here that they are printing is stolen from other artists too.

just hoping someone here knows a local lawyer there in MN who might be interested in taking this on? 

https://mallofamerica.com/directory/14851

canvas-studio-pic1.jpg

I've seen this type of thing across dozens of malls all over the country - regarding kiosks. From prints to photos to stickers.

Our local mall let a kiosk create 'custom' stickers of well known logos/art for quite awhile before a national chain in the mall complained about the kiosk selling the national chain's art/logo. Complaints to the kiosk were dismissed until the mall was notified. I would definitely have your lawyer send a cease and desist related note there.

I've also had to deal with copyright issues with images (photos or drawings) being copied from our company website & appropriated by direct competitors.

The first step was always a cease and desist. If that didn't work, we had a copyright lawyer get involved - but that was a lot more expensive. It was also a tremendous pain in the tail from a time perspective, because I had to prove the provenance of our original art. But - it pays off (literally) when you are answering questions before a federal judge.

Edited by HighVoltage
spelling!

11 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Can you make an entire Star Wars VS X Men comic and print/sell it?

Does Star Trek meets Elfquest count? Because that has been done. How about publishing a book titled X-Men, and claim it is pronounced zmen? That's been tried. 

"So what is a “transformative” use? If this definition seems ambiguous or vague, be aware that millions of dollars in legal fees have been spent attempting to define what qualifies as a fair use. There are no hard-and-fast rules, only general guidelines and varied court decisions, because the judges and lawmakers who created the fair use exception did not want to limit its definition. Like free speech, they wanted it to have an expansive meaning that could be open to interpretation."

(From a legal blog. At the end of the day maybe darth vader on a unicorn is conserved parody and you're protected. Maybe it isn't and you are bankrupted. And be careful about selling internationally. I don't know if foreign law is as accommodating as U.S. law. France, in particularly, has very tight copyright law.)

13 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Have you registered these images with the copyright office? It makes a huge difference re: whether you have a financially viable lawsuit. Unregistered images are still "protected," but the financial consequences of infringement are more limited to the non-registered image.