• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my take on the recent Comicconnect Centaur auction results...
4 4

63 posts in this topic

Hi Rick. Thanks for the awesome and insightful summary. Glad that you turned a profit, and glad I was able to contribute!

I really think you drew in a lot of bidders who otherwise don't/didn't have Centaurs on their mind. With so many spectacular and rare books on display all in one auction, I wouldn't be surprised if you've established a new base of Centaurian collectors. At least you've converted me. :smile:

11 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Hi Rick. Thanks for the awesome and insightful summary. Glad that you turned a profit, and glad I was able to contribute!

I really think you drew in a lot of bidders who otherwise don't/didn't have Centaurs on their mind. With so many spectacular and rare books on display all in one auction, I wouldn't be surprised if you've established a new base of Centaurian collectors. At least you've converted me. :smile:

I hope so. I ain't gonna live forever!

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

My overall impression was that comicconnect was the right venue for these books...I thought Vinny delivered everything we talked about that he could control, but more importantly the bidders needed to make this successful for me!

Thanks again to all

While one might reasonably argue that this wasn't the "best" catalog presentation of a collection CC has provided (from my perspective the best CC auction roll out to date was the stand out John Wise catalog several years ago), the build-up was tastefully done, well executed and sufficiently focused on the Centaur line's rarity to fuel bidder interest.  And I agree, Vinny is one of the hobby's good guys who goes the extra mile to deliver on promises.  

Also, I admire your own low key approach to promoting your books in this auction.  I think the tendency of most folks with this much skin in the game would've been to engage in excessive hyperbole.  Kudos for resisting that impulse.  You're right, the books sell themselves. (thumbsu

27 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

While one might reasonably argue that this wasn't the "best" catalog presentation of a collection CC has provided (from my perspective the best CC auction roll out to date was the stand out John Wise catalog several years ago), the build-up was tastefully done, well executed and sufficiently focused on the Centaur line's rarity to fuel bidder interest.  And I agree, Vinny is one of the hobby's good guys who goes the extra mile to deliver on promises.  

Also, I admire your own low key approach to promoting your books in this auction.  I think the tendency of most folks with this much skin in the game would've been to engage in excessive hyperbole.  Kudos for resisting that impulse.  You're right, the books sell themselves. (thumbsu

I like catalogs..:but while I receive one from heritage and comicconnect every auction, I rarely even open them. I like the online approach, ability to scroll and blow up pics etc

maybe im naive,  but I truly believe my having owned these books should have had no impact on folks bidding. Now, if this was an oo collection with a story to tell behind them, then I can see adding 

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I like catalogs..:but while I receive one from heritage and comicconnect every auction, I rarely even open them. I like the online approach, ability to scroll and blow up pics etc

maybe im naive,  but I truly believe my having owned these books should have had no impact on folks bidding. Now, if this was an oo collection with a story to tell behind them, then I can see adding 

I get the logic, and your POV isn't naive.  There are many approaches one can take, and none of them would be wrong.  It just comes down to how each person perceives their collection in a broader context.  

One could probably argue against the legitimacy of a Jon Berk or Nick Cage collection getting a special label notation since many of their books weren't original owner, but I kinda like having the visible provenance.  Does a collection owner's notation matter to bidders? Who knows, but it does matter with pedigrees on a case by case basis.

Listing every known former owner of note on a label could easily reach ridiculous proportions, so that's obviously not a great idea.  Also, given the frequency some books change hands, the picture of a dolphin would be needed to cover all the bases.  OTOH, I can see how a Gator Collection label notation might have instant collector appeal.  Heck, it might just swamp the competition!  (thumbsu

20 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Is there anyway to view the results? I always have trouble with that on comicconnect

I look at my sold page, beyond that I’m not 100% sure 

2 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Wonderful!

32 minutes ago, thewritestuff said:

Just out of curiosity, what made you consider CC over the other auction sites?

I considered them all and think they would have all done a fine job. Honestly in this case the difference was Vincent. 

5 hours ago, PUNYHUMAN said:

AMF has always been a great run. My personal Favorite. I'm glad you still came out ahead in the long run ,Rick. I guess it all balances out in the end.

I wish I could have bid on some of those books myself ,  but prices are pretty crazy nowadays. I'm happy with the 40 or so Centaurs I do have in my collection that I bought years ago.  

Wonderful 

4 hours ago, sagii said:

Seems some of the early issues where Centaur took the reigns from Ultem and particular last issues were of interest in terms of scarcity and bidder actuvity.

Thank goodness 

3 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Thanks for this, it’s great you can still have some fun talking about the books after the fact.

I think some of the early Everetts went somewhat cheap for the rarity.  

The amazing mans did imo too