• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my take on the recent Comicconnect Centaur auction results...
4 4

63 posts in this topic

Well.... As a very active bidder in the auction, I felt like I was up against some guys with unlimited funds which made it hard for me to win ANYTHING.

I did get a few though and was the under bidder on quite a few lots before I gave up. I had hoped to pick up a few upgrades on my Star Comics and Star Ranger runs but wasn't able to. :frown:

I bid VERY strongly in the Berk auction for issues I needed to finish runs as I figured that I'd never see some of those issues for sale/auction again. Lesson learned that things change and eventually, most everything will come up again. But then again, I've seen items come up again in auctions that I lost and ended up paying a LOT more for the second or third time around.

I remember when the Ruben Blades auction happened and grade didn't seem to matter at all. A low grade early Star Comics would go for as much (or more) than a higher grade issue - just depended on scarcity and whether a couple bidders needed it or not for their runs.

Anyway....

Rick - thanks for sharing your thoughts on the auction!

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

since t

Since this auction was a success should we be on the lookout for the Gator Collection Part 2 in a   up coming in CC auction>

Have to check my 8 ball lol

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

maybe im naive,  but I truly believe my having owned these books should have had no impact on folks bidding. Now, if this was an oo collection with a story to tell behind them, then I can see adding 

:applause:

4 hours ago, rtsunlimited said:

Well.... As a very active bidder in the auction, I felt like I was up against some guys with unlimited funds which made it hard for me to win ANYTHING.

I did get a few though and was the under bidder on quite a few lots before I gave up. I had hoped to pick up a few upgrades on my Star Comics and Star Ranger runs but wasn't able to. :frown:

I bid VERY strongly in the Berk auction for issues I needed to finish runs as I figured that I'd never see some of those issues for sale/auction again. Lesson learned that things change and eventually, most everything will come up again. But then again, I've seen items come up again in auctions that I lost and ended up paying a LOT more for the second or third time around.

I remember when the Ruben Blades auction happened and grade didn't seem to matter at all. A low grade early Star Comics would go for as much (or more) than a higher grade issue - just depended on scarcity and whether a couple bidders needed it or not for their runs.

Anyway....

Cheers!

As someone that battled you in the berk auctions, I appreciate your bids 

4 hours ago, rtsunlimited said:

Anyway....

Cheers!

While I am not a big collector of Centaurs, I totally understand and much appreciate the way they collect the book first and grade second.  Rarity is a factor, I am sure, but I have distinct memories of hearing collectors years ago avoiding a truly rare book in lesser condition and thinking "well, since it probably doesn't exist in unrestored high grade, they will most likely never own a copy of that book."   

42 minutes ago, bluechip said:

While I am not a big collector of Centaurs, I totally understand and much appreciate the way they collect the book first and grade second.  Rarity is a factor, I am sure, but I have distinct memories of hearing collectors years ago avoiding a truly rare book in lesser condition and thinking "well, since it probably doesn't exist in unrestored high grade, they will most likely never own a copy of that book."   

Wow. If it's rare, it's rare. Grab it where you find it.

And that thinking that "it probably doesn't exist in unrestored high grade" is completely erroneous (at least for some books).

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

According to the title of this thread you were going to tell us your take. Well? How much?

According to Fishler about $1200 hehe

On 3/17/2019 at 11:01 PM, Primetime said:

thanks for the summary Rick. Happy the auction yielded decent results for you despite your circumstances. 

Rick;

Also my sentiments exactly!  (thumbsu

First day back from an extended trip overseas and wonderful to see your detailed assessment of the auction results.  Extremely happy to see that you made out alright by the time it was all said and done.  :applause: