• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

I missed this important little hint who the villain may be.

Spoiler

A blink-and-you'll-miss-it Easter egg could reveal the Marvel Comics villain behind WandaVision. In Episode 2 of the Marvel Studios series that premiered Friday on Disney+, a Bewitched-style animated opening takes viewers through the suburban life of newlywed couple Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) and Vision (Paul Bettany). When the crimson creation uses his powers to phase himself through his bedroom wall, activating the illusion that allows him to appear as a human computational worker, Vision goes intangible and sinks through the floor. Descending through the innards of his home, the Vision quickly passes human bones and the headdress of the Grim Reaper.

In the Marvel Comics, the Grim Reaper is a costumed supervillain named Eric Williams. He's the brother of Simon Williams, the Avenger known as Wonder Man, who died saving Earth's mightiest heroes in his first appearance (Avengers Vol. 1 #9). As the Grim Reaper, Eric attacked the Avengers to avenge his brother — first in Avengers Vol. 1 #52 and as a member of the Lethal Legion in Avengers Vol. 1 #78 — before learning that the synthezoid Vision was given intelligence using Wonder Man's brain patterns.

wandavision-grim-reaper-comicbookcom-1252704.thumb.jpeg.906b89fb21c7ee745af7c8c92594b35b.jpeg

Now I need to go back and watch that episode.

Watched the first two episodes tonight with the wife and we enjoyed them.

Being in the UK, my knowledge of old US sitcoms, at least watching them, is limited but I liked how the homage was well done - but I've always hated canned laughter so that was annoying.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bee person at the end of episode two and how it relates to 1960s Marvel comics history.

AIM_by_Kirby.jpg

I was reading a review and in the comments, someone posted this one word:

Spoiler

MOJO

Seems like it may be plausible with following info:

Spoiler

All of the SWORD references. The idea that this is being done to Wanda, not that she is doing it on her own. Mojo sure loved him some television. One of the Multiverses' of Madness could be Mojoworld.

I think I like this idea.

Edited by WeR138

I just got done streaming Hamilton for a group of people... Disney has not picked up on the whole screen share your disney+ account and stream it in a closed group thing yet.   I am rebroadcasting Mandalorian on Mondays and Thursdays heh heh. 

Should I watch Wandavision tonight ... save it for Sunday... or... is it something that I should wait on and binge when they are all released?

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I missed this important little hint who the villain may be.

Reveal hidden contents

Now I need to go back and watch that episode.

Not only that, but they put out a featurette,  and there was a not so subtle look at someone with a familial connection to aforementioned villain that may or may not be headed our way...

Seeing as how both are deeply rooted in Wanda and Visions backstories it would be interesting to see how they factor into this iteration.

It’s quirky, it’s an homage to classic television, it’s witty, it’s has humour that is nothing guy busting but makes you smile. Above all, it’s different and you know there are breadcrumbs leading to something bigger (or at least or hopes). It’s well acted and filmed and I just think the intrigue is really there. I kinda like that I am gonna be left hanging for a week before the next episode.

I’m gonna hang my hat on a big reveal here and say that one of the characters who we meet in episode 2 is Mephisto. And I think he and Kang are the next two baddies that cause mayhem moving forward in the MCU.

5 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

Watched the first two episodes tonight with the wife and we enjoyed them.

Being in the UK, my knowledge of old US sitcoms, at least watching them, is limited but I liked how the homage was well done - but I've always hated canned laughter so that was annoying.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bee person at the end of episode two and how it relates to 1960s Marvel comics history.

AIM_by_Kirby.jpg

Or....is he the mutant Man In The Bee Hive from Tales Of Suspense 32?

Naaah. Too obscure I suppose.

9 hours ago, WeR138 said:

I was reading a review and in the comments, someone posted this one word:

Hide contents

MOJO

Seems like it may be plausible with following info:

Hide contents

All of the SWORD references. The idea that this is being done to Wanda, not that she is doing it on her own. Mojo sure loved him some television. One of the Multiverses' of Madness could be Mojoworld.

I think I like this idea.

Mojo's productions are all real, aren't they?  This appears to be almost pure illusion to this point, presumably in Wanda's mind.  I don't remember that being Mojo's modus operandi.

they dropped 2 episodes for a reason...DO NOT WATCH ONLY THE FIRST EPISODE. You really need that second one to hook you I think. The 1st is okay, a few fun bits but so so so slow, I guess emphasizing that is what Wanda wants, the no stress family life with Vision. But the first episode has so little there in and of itself that you should really watch the second episode where the real intrigue starts.

22 minutes ago, Bird said:

they dropped 2 episodes for a reason...DO NOT WATCH ONLY THE FIRST EPISODE. You really need that second one to hook you I think. The 1st is okay, a few fun bits but so so so slow, I guess emphasizing that is what Wanda wants, the no stress family life with Vision. But the first episode has so little there in and of itself that you should really watch the second episode where the real intrigue starts.

Agreed! That is where the mystery really begins. Where the pilot is start-up filler to get the story going.

20 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

AIM_by_Kirby.jpg

AIM scientists were my very first thought once I saw the bees.

But this along with the Strucker watch just blurs my already-blurred notion of HYDRA and AIM.  My general understanding is that AIM is usually headed up by MODOK and HYDRA is usually headed up by either Red Skull or one of the Barons, particularly Strucker.  AIM is a subdivision of HYDRA, isn't it?  But mostly independent?  Or are they more tightly wound than I understand?  I haven't read enough Cap stories to fully know.  The few stories I have seen with AIM or HYDRA had them being completely separate with no overlap, but I certainly won't be surprised if they overlap at times--if anyone knows please do share.  So...why would we have a reference to Strucker and HYDRA but also a reference to AIM scientists in the beekeeper/hazmat suits?  Isn't that mixing apples and oranges?  None of this has been defined in the MCU yet, so maybe they're just merging AIM and HYDRA together like I do in my head anyway.

In any event I have no knowledge of anything about the show, but the easiest guess solely based upon what we've seen is that Strucker is trying to brainwash Wanda to make her an asset of HYDRA, and Grim Reaper is somehow involved in doing it.  I didn't catch that helmet or those bones when I saw the opening animatic in episode 2, but that's CLEARLY a reference to Grim Reaper.  Hard to imagine they'd put that in but never use the character particularly given that he's worked with HYDRA in the comics before.

Edited by fantastic_four

Ah, the MCU is back! And that's the important thing.

The WandaVision filmmakers totally nailed the 50/60's sitcom look in Episode One. The lighting, the camera work, the comedic timing seemed to be all right out of the D_i_c_k Van Dyke Show (or at least what I've seen of that show). It was so spot on and I felt I was so much in that world that when the storytellers take you out of Wanda/Vision's TV land dream spell for a moment and switch to more modern camera angles for a sequence, it was really unnerving. Very cool.

Episode Two didn't nail the 60's sitcom look so much for me because of the more dramatic contrasty lighting and more sophisticated camera angles. It felt more like a modern film shot in black and white, like Ed Wood or something. From what I can tell from the trailers however, the show will nail the 70's Brady Bunch look next week.

Loved how Episode Two takes us into major intrigue territory with the mysterious beekeeper and the Land of Oz-like switch to color. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Spoiler

I'm going to agree with comicginger and guess the beekeeper is some form of Mephisto. Bees just make me think of demon possession and he/it felt so ominous and really seemed to rattle Wanda. I also remember lots of rumors before that Mephisto could be the villain of the show. Also wishful thinking because my Silver Surfer #3 could use a value boost.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

I am curious as to why SWORD is part of the WandaVision mystery? From what I know from the comics, the purpose of SWORD is to fend off extraterrestrial threats to Earth. Is there an alien element to what's going on? I suppose multiversal could also count as extraterrestrial. Also, the Dottie character we meet in Episode Two seems to definitely be part of the mystery. Is Dottie possibly Abigail Brand, agent of SWORD? Very intriguing. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Edited by @therealsilvermane