• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I am curious as to why SWORD is part of the WandaVision mystery? From what I know from the comics, the purpose of SWORD is to fend off extraterrestrial threats to Earth. Is there an alien element to what's going on? I suppose multiversal could also count as extraterrestrial. Also, the Dottie character we meet in Episode Two seems to defintely be part of the mystery. Is Dottie possibly Abigail Brand, agent of SWORD? Very intriguing. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

Wanda and her flying saucers, from the first episode, made me think of ETs and UFOs.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

AIM scientists were my very first thought once I saw the bees.

But this along with the Strucker watch just blurs my already-blurred notion of HYDRA and AIM.  My general understanding is that AIM is usually headed up by MODOK and HYDRA is usually headed up by either Red Skull or one of the Barons, particularly Strucker.  AIM is a subdivision of HYDRA, isn't it?  But mostly independent?  Or are they more tightly wound than I understand?  I haven't read enough Cap stores to fully know.  The few stories I have seen with AIM or HYDRA had them being completely separate with no overlap, but I certainly won't be surprised if they overlap at times--if anyone knows please do share.  So...why would we have a reference to Strucker and HYDRA but also a reference to AIM scientists in the beekeeper/hazmat suits?  Isn't that mixing apples and oranges?  None of this has been defined in the MCU yet, so maybe they're just merging AIM and HYDRA together like I do in my head anyway.

In any event I have no knowledge of anything about the show, but the easiest guess solely based upon what we've seen is that Strucker is trying to brainwash Wanda to make her an asset of HYDRA, and Grim Reaper is somehow involved in doing it.  I didn't catch that helmet or those bones when I saw the opening animatic in episode 2, but that's CLEARLY a reference to Grim Reaper.  Hard to imagine they'd put that in but never use the character particularly given that he's worked with HYDRA in the comics before.

I always assumed AIM and Hydra were separate organisations.

Stark, Hydra and Strucker, through the adverts, for me, seem to be remnants of Wanda's memories.

28 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Mastermind, anyone?

ScarletXmen7.jpg.4689dc9dab5262ed668c51162a2679a8.jpg

Just throwing stuff out there...

Could be - the guy who is fired when Vision gets the job looks a bit like Mastermind.

21 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

The significance of this being played out as old American TV shows must be important - Wanda, being brought up in Eastern Europe in the 90s, would have little or no reference to these shows.

It's a very good point. And even with the golden age TV show references surrounding them Vision and Wanda noting her more relevant origin from Sokovia.

As someone who grew up with this kind of show (I Love Lucy, VanDyke, Bewitched, I Dream of Genie) I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane.  I'm not sure that people who grew up in the 80's 90's and 00's would get the same thrill out of it.  They will have to bring it all back to MCU type stuff soon.  

3 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

As someone who grew up with this kind of show (I Love Lucy, VanDyke, Bewitched, I Dream of Genie) I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane.  I'm not sure that people who grew up in the 80's 90's and 00's would get the same thrill out of it.  They will have to bring it all back to MCU type stuff soon.  

I Love Lucy, right. That's the other show I was thinking of besides D. Van Dyke that Episode 1 channeled so well. I'm more familiar with the Lucille Ball show as it was in syndication more than Van Dyke when I grew up.

I thought that Dottie was clearly meant to be significant, Agnes says that she is the key to everything that happens in that neighborhood or something like that. That was important I thought. I also wonder about "the devil", it would be ballsy to bring Mephisto in through a tv show. In the comics he offered Peter the return of Aunt May, maybe something similar is going on here.

6 hours ago, Bird said:

they dropped 2 episodes for a reason...DO NOT WATCH ONLY THE FIRST EPISODE. You really need that second one to hook you I think. The 1st is okay, a few fun bits but so so so slow, I guess emphasizing that is what Wanda wants, the no stress family life with Vision. But the first episode has so little there in and of itself that you should really watch the second episode where the real intrigue starts.

The problem is the 1st one just plain sucked and I can see a ton of people never coming back for the 2nd one considering all the great tv on the various streaming services.  Man - that 1st episode blew chunks.

Wow - the second episode was not that much better.  I understand the intent and it is unique but holy hell is it slow and off-putting.  They better get the ball rolling quickly or else the rating on this are going to be terrible.

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I Love Lucy, right. That's the other show I was thinking of besides D. Van Dyke that Episode 1 channeled so well. I'm more familiar with the Lucille Ball show as it was in syndication more than Van Dyke when I grew up.

The crazy thing about I Love Lucy is how timeless it is. We'd have TV Land on a lot here at work early in the morning, and it holds up so well. The timing, the delivery, the acting are all top-notch. And the jokes are mostly relationship-based and so well-written that it's still really good and genuinely funny. It's no wonder it became the archetype on which all sitcoms are based.

WandaVision's first two episodes, on the other hand, were quite dull. I can see they're obviously building towards something, but I hope it gets better soon. The great thing about The Visions by King was knowing what awful things were going to happen and not having any idea how it was going to get there. The show doesn't seem like it's taking anything from that series, and that would be disappointing.

8 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - the second episode was not that much better.  I understand the intent and it is unique but holy hell is it slow and off-putting.  They better get the ball rolling quickly or else the rating on this are going to be terrible.

Based upon critical reviews the third one is more of the same.  Next time watch it looking the entire time for subtext or you won't enjoy it any more than the first two.

I'm guessing by the IMDB cast list the illusion gets broken in episode 4.

21 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bee person at the end of episode two and how it relates to 1960s Marvel comics history.

AIM_by_Kirby.jpg

The bee keepers suit has the SWORD logo on the back, so I doubt AIM has anything to do with this show. They used AIM in Iron Man 3 as Aldritch Killians tech company, so I don't see them retooling plotlines. Whats more likely is the bee keeper is a SWORD agent in a hazmat suit trying to infiltrate Wanda's sphere of influence (or if I'm gonna throw in a personal theory Mephistos sphere of influence) around this town and he only appears as a bee keeper because that's how Wanda rationalized his presence within her new reality.

28 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Tho other things after re-watching a few key scenes:

• The symbol on the back of the beekeeper who came out of the sewer in episode 2 was absolutely, positively an AIM symbol.  I froze it, cross-referenced it, and that's what it was without doubt.
  • There was NO possible way to catch the Grim Reaper art watching the show in real time.  It flashed by VERY rapidly in less than a quarter of one second.  It was there for freeze-frame re-watching only, and it took me 3-4 freezes to see it after already knowing it was there.

The bee keepers symbol is very clearly the SWORD logo for this show 

Screenshot_20210116-160400_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210116-160313_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, AJLewandoski said:

The bee keepers symbol is very clearly the SWORD logo for this show 

Yep, that's right.  So we've got what appears to be an intentional mix of HYDRA (the watch), AIM (the beekeeper aspects of the guy coming out of the sewer), and SWORD (the beekeeper's symbol) going on.  So maybe all of that is being projected by Wanda.

Did they ever show ties to ANY of those organizations with Wanda?  I don't remember the political ties to Wanda and Pietro from Age of Ultron.

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yep, that's right.  So we've got what appears to be an intentional mix of HYDRA (the watch), AIM (the beekeeper aspects of the guy coming out of the sewer), and SWORD (the beekeeper's symbol) going on.  So maybe all of that is being projected by Wanda.

Did they ever show ties to ANY of those organizations with Wanda?  I don't remember the political ties to Wanda and Pietro from Age of Ultron.

Wanda was initially tied to Hydra because Baron Von Strucker was the one who experimented on her and Pietro and gave them their powers in AOU. *See my post right above my first reply to you for my breakdown of SWORD and AIM MCU facts and my personal theories.* SWORD is wholly new to this series and altered slightly from their comic counterpart as Sentient Weapons instead of Sentient Worlds in Wandavision.