• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Caulfield seems too old to be Clea, for me. But she's a great actor so I hope she stick around.

+1

Also, Clea always seemed kinder and more altruistic than what we have seen from Caulfield’s character so far.

55 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Caulfield seems too old to be Clea, for me. But she's a great actor so I hope she stick around.

15 minutes ago, piper said:

+1

Also, Clea always seemed kinder and more altruistic than what we have seen from Caulfield’s character so far.

I think with the acting to convey her character as a controlled contributor to this mystery world, I'm not sure we actually have witnessed Emma Caulfield. She's 47 - not 60.

54 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

If the audience demands superhero beat em ups, Marvel made about 25 features of em. 

There is an expectations with Marvel shows. Currently this one fails that. Not saying it wont get 
better, but currently some are just left wondering what are they doing here? I realize the No More 
Mutants arc is possible and I hate that because Marvel only did that arc because the X-men did 
belong to them anymore.

53 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

The complaints don't seem to be that the show fails its premise but rather the premise fails the show.

I don't respect the complaints. The premise, like the show which executes on it, is terrific.

Exactly.

The sheer audacity of Marvel having the confidence to produce a slow-burn mystery series featuring Wanda & Vision as a 1950s sitcom couple is mind-blowing.

Meanwhile, DC's over here trying to figure out how to do a solo Flash feature film and reboot Superman.

I truly don't understand how we've not had two solid Flash films already, with a third on the way. He's a *far* better character than Thor or Ant-Man.

They're building. I'm trying to explain to my A.D.D. (not clinically) boys (9 and 15) that they're going to get there eventually. what i find interesting is that on facebook comments for the show, women seem to like it (much more than the men). This is a good thing. I hope it means that those non-comic nerd women will stay with the show when it goes in the direction we expect it to, where it is going to appeal more to male comic nerds. I get the irritation with it being too campy. Us GenExers and Boomers grew up on these shows. But, frankly, they're a little hard to watch now. I tried to get my son (9) to watch an episode of Gilligan's island yesterday and he was kind of "WTF dad?"

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Exactly.

The sheer audacity of Marvel having the confidence to produce a slow-burn mystery series featuring Wanda & Vision as a 1950s sitcom couple is mind-blowing.

Meanwhile, DC's over here trying to figure out how to do a solo Flash feature film and reboot Superman.

I truly don't understand how we've not had two solid Flash films already, with a third on the way. He's a *far* better character than Thor or Ant-Man.

I'm really liking what we experiencing thus far, clearly knowing bigger reveals are coming.

But how does disappointment in the show leading to once again calling out WB/DC? Where does one fit in with the other? They don't.

Those not overly excited yet - if you go back and read their responses to other comic book shows (including Dark Horse's Umbrella Academy) seem to have the same initial response. So where did DC come into this logically?

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

They're building. I'm trying to explain to my A.D.D. (not clinically) boys (9 and 15) that they're going to get there eventually. what i find interesting is that on facebook comments for the show, women seem to like it (much more than the men). This is a good thing. I hope it means that those non-comic nerd women will stay with the show when it goes in the direction we expect it to, where it is going to appeal more to male comic nerds. I get the irritation with it being too campy. Us GenExers and Boomers grew up on these shows. But, frankly, they're a little hard to watch now. I tried to get my son (9) to watch an episode of Gilligan's island yesterday and he was kind of "WTF dad?"

This is the issue with viewers getting so use to big, event-based productions. They have little patience for gradual buildup.

This show is sticking to its guns easing us into a bigger reveal. I'm great with that. Don't try and appease the demands for game-changing scenes in every episode.

Fans have been treated to some light fun in the first two of WandaVision's sitcom parodies, but don't expect them all to be that way. When asked by Variety about what changes in her process when the show enters a new decade, Olsen describes how American TV comedies became more cynical over time, something that influenced the show's approach to humor:

"The '70s women were allowed - it was almost like there was a relaxation of even just women and social behavior, so that would affect their voices and the tone that they can take, instead of it being all so kind of higher and level. And so the '70s, even though it's this really strange, Brady Bunch, aspirational time in this sitcom land, women were still able to kinda have a little bit more control or something, something that just grounded them a bit more in their voice. And then as we got into the '80s, the teachable moments and how sincere everything was, that was just really funny. And then as we move into the '00s and the 2010s, comedy, the sitcom, becomes really cynical. The humor, like Malcolm in the Middle and Modern Family, becomes incredibly cynical, and that's what we found comforting, for whatever reason, as a society. And so it was just fun, when we were in this boot camp, to kind of, not only just chart the physical changes, you know as tools... but what was comedy for history of that time. Like the fact that Brady Bunch is the result of Vietnam, or Rosemary's Baby the film and Brady Bunch is on television, it doesn't make any sense to me. But for whatever reason that's what the consumer was watching at home."

Elsewhere in the interview, Olsen discusses her approach to playing Wanda in this shifting sitcom landscape, which she points out is distinct from how she has been developed in the MCU so far. According to Olsen, her character in WandaVision is preoccupied with keeping her identity hidden from her neighbors and appearing as a regular member of the community, rather than with anything that happened in the films. She identifies the moments of tension between sitcom-world and the larger MCU, when the truth threatens to invade whatever fiction she is wrapped up in, as the most interesting moments for her to perform.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am guessing that she has been captured and is being studied and they are trying to wake her up or call her out of whatever reality she created for herself. 

This appears to be a good beat. 

I think it's definitely building to something similar to House of M and its progeny, but I'm willing to wait, and if it doesn't reach that endpoint until the end of the show, or even until Multiverse of Madness, that is fine with me. Slow burn, y'all, slow burn.

It reminds me a little of when Loki (who it turns out was being impersonated by the Archangel Gabriel) would stick the Supernatural boys in some TV pocket universe, but I doubt they're going to try to tie in the Loki show that way. This is not Marvel Loki's style.

I've enjoyed it so far, yet still agree that if this didn't involved already-established characters I wouldn't have made it through the first episode.  It's OK, but it's building upon what preceded it in the MCU so far, and you could EASILY pick two dozen of the best episodes of the Van Dyke Show or Bewitched that are more enjoyable to watch or re-watch than these two episodes.