• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Does anyone have a good feel for the nature of Wanda's powers?  In the comics they've changed dramatically over time, but I can't tell if there's a unifying fundamental nature to her MCU powers that explains them.  She seems virtually omniscient in what they've shown her doing in this series if we're to believe what we're seeing.

I'm not too fluent on MCU lore, so I culled some of this info from youtube (sorry if this is fairly well known to some).  Before the Avengers came to the last Hydra stronghold in Sokovia, Baron von Strucker was experimenting and imbuing Wanda and Pietro their powers by using Loki's scepter (or some of the infinity stones?), and she ended up seeming to have reality, mind, and time stone powers.  Also interesting is that Strucker is the name of the watch in the commercial during episode 2.

7 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:

Before the Avengers came to the last Hydra stronghold in Sokovia, Baron von Strucker was experimenting and imbuing Wanda and Pietro their powers by using Loki's scepter (or some of the infinity stones?), and she ended up seeming to have reality, mind, and time stone powers.

I know how she supposedly got her powers--Loki's scepter had the Mind stone in it that later went into Vision--but I don't really understand how they work, or what their limits are.  I can tell her flight is limited in that she sort of pushes herself around, but other than that she seems to have a larger array of powers than anyone else currently in the MCU and can do almost anything.  As you stated she seems to have similar abilities granted to anyone who had the reality and time stones...yet she never had access to those, Strucker exposed her to the Mind stone.

I'm guessing we'll eventually discover that the Mind stone unlocked her mutant powers, but I just want to know how they work, and what "manipulating molecular polarity" means if that indeed is supposed to be an explanation for how she does what she does.

Edited by fantastic_four

3 minutes ago, Cozmo-One said:
7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Does anyone have a good feel for the nature of Wanda's powers?  In the comics they've changed dramatically over time, but I can't tell if there's a unifying fundamental nature to her MCU powers that explains them.  She seems virtually omniscient in what they've shown her doing in this series if we're to believe what we're seeing.

I'm not too fluent on MCU lore, so I culled some of this info from youtube (sorry if this is fairly well known to some).  Before the Avengers came to the last Hydra stronghold in Sokovia, Baron von Strucker was experimenting and imbuing Wanda and Pietro their powers by using Loki's scepter (or some of the infinity stones?), and she ended up seeming to have reality, mind, and time stone powers.  Also interesting is that Strucker is the name of the watch in the commercial during episode 2.

I believe it was just the Mind Stone from Loki's scepter that was used to enhance (or expose?) Wanda and Pietro's powers in Age of Ultron. Her powers seem to have been all over the place, including psychic, like when she gives the Avengers crazy debilitating visions in AOU. I think they've been trying to figure her out these past few years and maybe have now. Also, though I don't think it's been stated, I believe the Mind Stone is partially to cause for Wanda and Vision's strong link.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Also, though I don't think it's been stated, I believe the Mind Stone is partially to cause for Wanda and Vision's strong link.

Olsen said it in the video I just posted in this thread a few hours ago.

I watched the first two episodes, and i see what they're aiming for, and the ending might be great, but the first two episodes were so boring and completely unfunny that I've lost interest. hidden easter eggs is fun, but not enough to keep my interest. I'll wait until the full story is out and try again.

Those previews suggest there's lots more television dream sequences to come from later decades.  Did I get some Married With Children vibes in there?  DEFINITELY saw some Office-type camera testimonials.

Loved this 4th episode!  Hopefully those who didn’t enjoy the sitcom world enjoyed this fully MCU realized context as the mystery deepened. 

A few small things.... 1 - I just loved when Agent Woo did the little bit of slight of hand magic he’d so envied that Scott Lang showed off to him during his house arrest.  Obviously he’d been practicing the exact move himself!   

But more importantly... and I guess I should put this into a spoiler tag, even though it’s complete speculation:

Spoiler

I think a big piece to the puzzle they snuck in there was when Woo said he was checking on someone he had in “witness protection” in the town. We never heard reference to who that was again.  There’s NO WAY that’s not an important piece of info. You don’t show a gun in the first act if you’re not going to shoot it in the 3rd.  Just sayin’. So curious to see if that’s the big bad, our first look at a mutant... or just some other hiding marvel villain? 

This episode really lays it all out in the open. I think if you were to combine the first 4 episodes they really make up an entire first act, and should probably be viewed together for those saying it's boring.

Making Darcy the smartest person in the room was fantastic. Her and Woo are the team up I didn't know I wanted (of course that probably has something to do with the fact that both of them are traditionally sit com actors). Getting more back story for Monica, SWORD, and the snap was also appreciated.

I didn't see it mentioned so I'll tag it but can we talk about

Spoiler

how terrifying zombie Vision was? I thought he was genuinely unsettling to look at. For those that watched both, it gave me a similar feeling to seeing Glen post-Lucille in the Walking Dead.

• Add my wife to the list of viewers with minimal interest in the MCU,  but still enjoying each week of Wandavision.  She of course rolls her eyes at the endless speculation my daughter & I subject her to!
  • Personally, I'd have been happy for them to string us along a couple of more weeks before the Episode 4 reveals.  But then, I watched Lost, Twin Peaks and X-Files, so have a high degree of tolerance for such things.
  • Here's my latest prediction: Wanda becomes the major villain of the MCU phase 4:  As others have said, her power level now is apparently off the charts, and so she is simply too much of a deus ex machina now to be just one of the gang.  But as a villain, she can be a formidable adversary everyone else takes on, and different enough from what we've seen before in the previous Avengers movies.  But if I'm correct, that can't be good news for the Vision...

7 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

This episode really lays it all out in the open. I think if you were to combine the first 4 episodes they really make up an entire first act, and should probably be viewed together for those saying it's boring.

Making Darcy the smartest person in the room was fantastic. Her and Woo are the team up I didn't know I wanted (of course that probably has something to do with the fact that both of them are traditionally sit com actors). Getting more back story for Monica, SWORD, and the snap was also appreciated.

I didn't see it mentioned so I'll tag it but can we talk about

Hide contents

how terrifying zombie Vision was? I thought he was genuinely unsettling to look at. For those that watched both, it gave me a similar feeling to seeing Glen post-Lucille in the Walking Dead.

We happened to watch that episode last weekend. I think seeing Glenn was much, much worse. :p