• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

OK, but in TV shows and movies there has to be a reason, I'm not sure Marvel is gonna go there. But maybe, I forgot what her origin was in the comics, typical nonsense from 35+ years ago:  "Monica was introduced as the second Captain Marvel and she gained super powers after being bombarded by extradimensional energy, produced by an energy disruptor weapon." So someone zaps her and, instead of hurting her she gets super powers? OK, I guess Wanda did that to her, maybe. I assume Marvel has give up on the idea of Inhumans running around with latent genes ready to get activated (OK, if later seasons of SHIELD deal with all of that don't spoil it), so in the current MCU you either get your powers through tech, genetic engineering, being an alien/born a demi god, infinity stones, magic  ... oh forget it, we'll find out what her deal is within the next month! For the sake of my 10 copies of Spiderman Annual 16 I hope it is good!   

What  I mean is that for whatever reason in the MCU, Monica will probably get her powers from the Multiverse somehow, especially since the Multiverse/Quantum Realm is supposed to be the new source of power and mayhem for Phase Four and beyond. There's no real reason to change the power source to an Infinity Stone especially since Infinity Stones are more prominent Phases 1,2, and 3 and kind of a thing of the past.

WandaVision shocked fans in its fifth episode by bringing back Pietro, Wanda's brother who died in Avengers: Age of Ultron. What was more shocking was that Aaron Taylor-Johnson didn't reprise the role. Instead, Evan Peters, who played the same character (though called Peter instead of Pietro) in the X-Men movies, showed up in the episode's finale scene. This moment could have significant ramifications for the X-Men's eventual introduction in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. WandaVision showrunner Jac Schaeffer says the idea of introducing Peters as Pietro seemed built for a show with as much weirdness going on as WandaVision, though it wasn't a simple task to make it work.

“We loved the idea of [bringing him back],” Schaeffer told Marvel.com. “And then we were like, how in the world are we going to make this make logical sense? Like, how do we justify this? Because that's the thing, you can hatch a million great ideas, but to make them land, to make them be grounded, to make them feel organic to the larger story.

“This show is such a mind scramble, and because it's working on so many levels, and there's so many notions of what's real and what's not, and performance, and casting, and audience, and fandom, and all of that, we just thought it would be the biggest thrill to bring Evan over to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.”

Schaeffer says that Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige wanted to ensure there was a good reason for bringing Peters to the show, but Peters was always game. "Evan was always up for it — like, always, always, always," Schaeffer says. "He is a comic book fan, and a Marvel fan. He is always up for the absolute weirdest option. And he's a pleasure — truly a pleasure to work with.”

There are still four more episodes to go in WandaVision. Schaeffer teased more conflict and answers to come in the back half of the season.

"We will answer all the things that need to be answered. Truthfully, [Jimmy Woo] is the writers," Schaeffer told Entertainment Tonight. "That was us writing on the whiteboard in the writers' room, being like, 'How do we make sure that this mystery checks out, that the logic checks out, that all of this is working?' I’m so pleased that that whiteboard is getting the shine it's getting because there were so many details that didn't make it into the show that were like the various pieces of our larger world-building. But yeah, there will be answers."

5 hours ago, the blob said:

You might be the only one dude!

I may be but it just is not working for me.  The episodes are so short that it just comes across as irritating with the confusing plot lines.  I don't mind a little mystery as to what is happening but here we are 5 weeks later and I just am losing patience with the whole show.  I'm sure it will get better but at this point it is one big yawn.

14 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
5 hours ago, the blob said:

You might be the only one dude!

I may be but it just is not working for me.  The episodes are so short that it just comes across as irritating with the confusing plot lines.  I don't mind a little mystery as to what is happening but here we are 5 weeks later and I just am losing patience with the whole show.  I'm sure it will get better but at this point it is one big yawn.

You're not the only one--plenty of people hate stories that are giant puzzles where the plot gives out the pieces slowly over time.  Lots of people were frustrated when X-Files, Lost, the Leftovers, and the Matrix sequels did that.

Edited by fantastic_four

48 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I’m enjoying the newer episodes but this show has taught me to wait until the season is over. So i can binge watch. So that’s why I’ll be skipping falcon/winter soldier. 

3 minutes ago, Nazirite said:

I’m enjoying the newer episodes but this show has taught me to wait until the season is over. So i can binge watch. So that’s why I’ll be skipping falcon/winter soldier. 

I love the weekly episode format. It allows each episode to really sink in and and gives us time to rewatch the episode to catch cool details missed the first or second or third time. When I binge watch, I kind of just tear through the whole thing like I'm cramming for a test and I tend to miss details.

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I love the weekly episode format. It allows each episode to really sink in and and gives us time to rewatch the episode to catch cool details missed the first or second or third time. When I binge watch, I kind of just tear through the whole thing like I'm cramming for a test and I tend to miss details.

There's no possible way 80% of what I've figured out by mulling episodes over or discussing them here would've occurred to me while binging the show.  I suppose most of it will be revealed eventually anyway, but the hints to the events leading to the X-Men emerging littered throughout this series almost certainly would have crept past me.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

There's no possible way 80% of what I've figured out by mulling episodes over or discussing them here would've occurred to me while binging the show.  I suppose most of it will be revealed eventually anyway, but the hints to the events leading to the X-Men emerging littered throughout this series almost certainly would have crept past me.

I hope the weekly episodes of Falcon and Winter Soldier are more of an old fashioned MCU adventure because this WandaVision mystery obsession is disrupting my workflow a little bit.

7 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I was thinking back to earlier episode that Dottie's roses bloom under penalty of death. That made me think of the the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland and her roses which made me think what if Dottie is herself not just the "queen" of Westview society but another queen, like the White Queen? What if Dottie is Emma Frost? I saw this theory on a few reddit boards so it's out there. Just another theory to throw in the pile. I still think it's too soon for Marvel to start piling in mutants now, though I do hope Evan Peters is here to stay even though I fear he is not.

I think Dottie is fairly certain Arcana from Squadron Supreme, they have the same name Dottie Jones and husbands have the same first name. Or so I have read around here somewhere

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

I think Dottie is fairly certain Arcana from Squadron Supreme, they have the same name Dottie Jones and husbands have the same first name. Or so I have read around here somewhere

Probably right. I'd figured that's the primary choice for who Dottie is, too. It's fun throwing around different theories, though.

10 hours ago, the blob said:

Jackman has said a zillion times he is done with wolverine. 

10 hours ago, the blob said:

Because he is one of the x-men people like, particularly kids. He is my kids' favorite out of all the kids. 

And as much as I would like to see Jackman pop up, there can also be more 'X-Men' realities than the 20th Century Fox, X-Men reality.   There can be a Wolverine from even another dimension.  Evan Peters joining the MCU though is an excellent indicator to fans that NOTHING is off the table though.    

I also give a LOT of credit to Marvel for realizing that Fox' casting of Evan Peter as Quicksilver along with their iteration of the character was actually a stroke of genius.  Marvel sucked it up and said, "Let's go for it" instead of redeveloping the character.   I am also glad that Peters signed on with Disney.   However, I am going to also admit that I am holding out a glimmer of hope for Hugh Jackman to appear somehow even if it is as a gray haired older Wolverine from a third dimension outside of the Fox movie universe. 

BTW... I assumed that this would eventually happen but I figured it would be through a Deadpool movie so I my jaw did drop when I saw Quicksilver on Wandavision.

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

You're not the only one--plenty of people hate stories that are giant puzzles where the plot gives out the pieces slowly over time.  Lots of people were frustrated when X-Files, Lost, the Leftovers, and the Matrix sequels did that.

Ha - That's a fact.  I have heard a lot of that over the years. 

I never got into X-Files, I did not think that the Matrix sequels were as horrible as some complained that they were, (they were just not as good as the first one which raised a bar pretty far to reach), but I still think that LOST was one of the best shows of all time. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

And as much as I would like to see Jackman pop up, there can also be more 'X-Men' realities than the 20th Century Fox, X-Men reality.   There can be a Wolverine from even another dimension.  Evan Peters joining the MCU though is an excellent indicator to fans that NOTHING is off the table though.    

I also give a LOT of credit to Marvel for realizing that Fox' casting of Evan Peter as Quicksilver along with their iteration of the character was actually a stroke of genius.  Marvel sucked it up and said, "Let's go for it" instead of redeveloping the character.   I am also glad that Peters signed on with Disney.   However, I am going to also admit that I am holding out a glimmer of hope for Hugh Jackman to appear somehow even if it is as a gray haired older Wolverine from a third dimension outside of the Fox movie universe. 

BTW... I assumed that this would eventually happen but I figured it would be through a Deadpool movie so I my jaw did drop when I saw Quicksilver on Wandavision.

I agree, I wouldn't mind more old broken down logan, but it does not seem like he was doing much with himself before the events of Logan other than bringing Professor X Scooy snacks now and then. Doing the Old Man Logan mini as a comic would be a hoot. By the time that is feasible Jackman may legitimately be old enough for the part.

As great as Jackman was in the role, I'm happy to never see him again as Wolverine, because I view Logan as the perfect ending to his character. It will be important to nail that casting, though, because they got it so right the first time.

As feared, some people are plain confused about this show.

Its becoming mandatory to watch every single MCU vehicle to avoid getting hopelessly lost.

I read comic stuff, but even I'm having trouble following this thread.

No-body is going to get the Tiger / Dr Strange stuff etc unless they are total fanboys.

Most people aren't and these shows, no matter how good for avid comic readers, are struggling with mainstream viewers.

You shouldn't have to watch 9 season of SHIELD to get some of Wandavision, and you shouldn't be forced to watch Wandavision to get the most out of Phase 4 of the MCU.

There are too many shows / movies on too many platforms, and if this is not addressed, and shows / movies made less dependent on each other, then people will stop watching.

2c

27 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Interesting ... that would be wild if she becomes the Invisible Woman and they cast her comic backstory aside 

Even by the MCU habit of altering origins, I think that's not likely; they'll keep the FF as Reed/Sue/Ben/Johnny.

6 hours ago, Beige said:

As feared, some people are plain confused about this show.

Its becoming mandatory to watch every single MCU vehicle to avoid getting hopelessly lost.

I read comic stuff, but even I'm having trouble following this thread.

No-body is going to get the Tiger / Dr Strange stuff etc unless they are total fanboys.

Most people aren't and these shows, no matter how good for avid comic readers, are struggling with mainstream viewers.

You shouldn't have to watch 9 season of SHIELD to get some of Wandavision, and you shouldn't be forced to watch Wandavision to get the most out of Phase 4 of the MCU.

There are too many shows / movies on too many platforms, and if this is not addressed, and shows / movies made less dependent on each other, then people will stop watching.

2c

I had noted the same concern earlier.

I love a solid link here and there to honor a larger comic book universe. But when it gets overly pushed to honor an excessive series of source material then I get concerned.

But that's just me. The MCU has made the fans more fanatical they'll go see the same film 100 (+) times. I could see many doing something excessive like multiple subscriptions to keep all this going.