• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm a bit burned out on solving the Wandavision mystery.  If the clues were pointed in one direction I'd still be engaged, but at this point I feel like they're throwing in so much misdirection that I'm burned out by it.  There's enough decent evidence for Chthon, Immortus, and Mephisto that I won't be surprised if it's one or several of those.  If it isn't and Nightmare rises up from nowhere as the solitary bad with little or no evidence that it's him I'm going to probably be absolutely pissed that they threw out all of the false flags unless they tie up how he could be doing all of this yet still remotely tied to his powers and limitations from the comics with the most elaborate bow I can imagine.  :taptaptap:

So what you’re saying is....”puzzles are DUMB!”

:baiting:

12 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm a bit burned out on solving the Wandavision mystery.  If the clues were pointed in one direction I'd still be engaged, but at this point I feel like they're throwing in so much misdirection that I'm burned out by it.  There's enough decent evidence for Chthon, Immortus, and Mephisto that I won't be surprised if it's one or several of those.  If it isn't and Nightmare rises up from nowhere as the solitary bad with little or no evidence that it's him I'm going to probably be absolutely pissed that they threw out all of the false flags unless they tie up how he could be doing all of this yet still remotely tied to his powers and limitations from the comics with the most elaborate bow I can imagine.  :taptaptap:

At this point, I too am ready for confirmation that Mephisto/Serpico has now taken Wanda's children.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Because millions of people around the world (where the Disney+ app is available) were all trying to watch last week's premiere at once Friday morning because that's how captivated everybody has been by the WandaVision mystery. The reason so many people are captivated is because the show is well written. Obviously it's not for everyone, but at the moment, it seems to be for a pretty good percentage of everyone.

If this isn't unsubstantiated conjecture, then prove it.

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

So what you’re saying is....”puzzles are DUMB!”

Puzzles that piece together into one image are fine, but if I open up the box and the manufacturer has thrown four or five puzzles together into the same box, then yes, that's dumb.  And once I realize that has happened I can't imagine feeling motivated to sort those pieces out from each other.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Puzzles that piece together into one image are fine, but if I open up the box and the manufacturer has thrown four or five puzzles together into the same box, then yes, that's dumb.  And once I realize that has happened I can't imagine feeling motivated to sort those pieces out from each other.

Relax man, I’m just yanking your chain. 

I don’t know enough about arcane and obscure Marvel Universe knowledge to get caught up in the guessing game.  But I’ve still found it a very enjoyable show to watch...without the “puzzle” aspect. 

But while I’m enjoying it now, I’d don’t know it’s something I’d re-watch...so I’d recommend just sitting back, relax and try and enjoy the ride while it lasts. 

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

But while I’m enjoying it now, I’d don’t know it’s something I’d re-watch...so I’d recommend just sitting back, relax and try and enjoy the ride while it lasts. 

Or before everybody switches over to the Falcon Winter Soldier ride which looks like more of a roller coaster than the WandaVision funhouse.

19 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Because millions of people around the world (where the Disney+ app is available) were all trying to watch last week's premiere at once Friday morning because that's how captivated everybody has been by the WandaVision mystery. The reason so many people are captivated is because the show is well written. Obviously it's not for everyone, but at the moment, it seems to be for a pretty good percentage of everyone.

For the sake of making Disney+ more stable, the reality is though there is a platform capacity problem. There are streaming tracking sites that have been pointing this out for weeks.

Downdetector: Disney+

disneyplus01.PNG.41bb295eeba1def327343337126c8158.PNG

What came out on Disney+ last night that caused a large impact between 6 PM to 11 PM? Nothing. It was that period when people are off from work and watching shows. To hide this behind WandaVision just caused a temporary blip doesn't address the problems.

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

I don’t know enough about arcane and obscure Marvel Universe knowledge to get caught up in the guessing game.

I don't either in the case of the content this show covers.  I've been a Marvel fan for 40+ years, but for most of that time I've been turned off by the magic stuff.  I actually love fiction about magic such as Lord of the Rings or Dungeons and Dragons, and World of Warcraft has been my main game since it released.  But I always found mixing in magic fantasy with the science-based superheroes bizarre.  Same with Thor and Asgard, mixing in religion with science felt equally bizarre.  I didn't start to appreciate Thor and Strange as a part of the Marvel Universe until the past decade.

But I've been taking alternative media for Marvel characters as an opportunity to explore stories I hadn't in the past for several years now.  I collect action figures in addition to comics, and when an action figure for a character from a story I've never read before comes out and looks cool, I'll read the story they came from.  Same for the movies; if a movie is covering characters I haven't read before, I'll read up on the back stories.

In the case of Wandavision I read all of the Vision and Scarlet Witch limited series in the 1980s, so I've long had an attachment to the characters.  I much prefer the mutant aspects of Wanda to the magic-based elements, so I'm unfamiliar with these magic enemies like Mephisto, Chthon, Immortus, Nightmare, etc.  But I've enjoyed learning about them.

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I don't either in the case of the content this show covers.  I've been a Marvel fan for 40+ years, but for most of that time I've been turned off by the magic stuff.  I actually love fiction about magic such as Lord of the Rings or Dungeons and Dragons, and World of Warcraft has been my main game since it released.  But I always found mixing in magic fantasy with the science-based superheroes bizarre.  Same with Thor and Asgard, mixing in religion with science felt equally bizarre.  I didn't start to appreciate Thor and Strange as a part of the Marvel Universe until the past decade.

But I've been taking alternative media for Marvel characters as an opportunity to explore stories I hadn't in the past for several years now.  I collect action figures in addition to comics, and when an action figure for a character from a story I've never read before comes out and looks cool, I'll read the story they came from.  Same for the movies; if a movie is covering characters I haven't read before, I'll read up on the back stories.

In the case of Wandavision I read all of the Vision and Scarlet Witch limited series in the 1980s, so I've long had an attachment to the characters.  I much prefer the mutant aspects of Wanda to the magic-based elements, so I'm unfamiliar with these magic enemies like Mephisto, Chthon, Immortus, Nightmare, etc.  But I've enjoyed learning about them.

Yeah, I hear what you saying about the magic stuff, not a big fan of it either. 

I was willing to give this a go because it seemed like the way the movies were portraying Wanda’s ‘magic’ was that they were like mutant powers.

But it seems like as this show progresses they’re titling pretty hard the other way, and not as jazzed about some of the theorized “big bads” as they’re definitely more in the magical/mystical category  

But there’s only two episodes left so I’ll stick with it to see how it plays out. 

Edited by Number 6

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Here's a graph showing the problem last Friday with the vertical data being the number of reports of failure, about 20,000 reports at 3:05 am EST. Apparently most reports were from the West Coast, which would be midnight.downdetector.thumb.JPG.14a6b472d37ea29254d00bb82229f269.JPG

22 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

For the sake of making Disney+ more stable, the reality is though there is a platform capacity problem. There are streaming tracking sites that have been pointing this out for weeks.

Downdetector: Disney+

disneyplus01.PNG.41bb295eeba1def327343337126c8158.PNG

What came out on Disney+ last night that caused a large impact between 6 PM to 11 PM? Nothing. It was that period when people are off from work and watching shows. To hide this behind WandaVision just caused a temporary blip doesn't address the problems.

I guess there was a surprise WandaVision Special I didn't hear about last night I'll need to go check.

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

1924620680_224039-magicscience-0.thumb.png.1e743a0ca2556ab31e6fd5c97a636ec2.png

I was HUGELY compelled by this idea when I saw it in the trailers for Thor.  But after watching the movie once and re-watching it half a dozen times since then...I don't see that Branagh actually merged magic and science together, at least not in any way that he actually explained on-screen well enough for anyone to understand.  What's the science behind Thor?  Various Asgardians just have these power sets that are largely unexplained other than they're "gods."

I spent at LEAST 10-20 hours imagining what this statement meant during multiple re-watches of the film.  For the first few viewings I held out hope the ideas were there and I was just overlooking them, but at this point it feels like wishful thinking.  Thor is super-tough, super-strong, and can generate lightning, but if there's a scientific explanation for why he can do all of that I haven't been able to dig it out of any of the Thor films.  (shrug)  If anyone else pieced it together please do share.

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I'm not sure why they're acting like WandaVision is the only content on Disney+...

Because when you want to serve as the Disney/MCU rah-rah club...

godisney.gif.80143ec223af1ab5dbd9f140ee7ee787.gif

No reality matters. It's all unicorns and sunshine. :banana:

28 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess there was a surprise WandaVision Special I didn't hear about last night I'll need to go check.

Netflix, the veteran streaming service, had about the same issues last night at the 9:00 PM slot that Disney+ had. Streaming TV isn't an exact science yet. The diff at 3:00am EST last Friday on Disney+ however is 20,000 reports of outage vs 40-60 reports.

netflixdown.thumb.JPG.e84590e77649f5da588b91072aace3d8.JPG

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

It's becoming clear that the "sitcom-of-the-week" gimmick and the "playing" with the audience to drive fan theories about the baddie is what keeps the audience coming back, rather than the story itself (which could have been portrayed in half the amount of episodes).