• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

OK, let's assume the powers of Asgardians are pure science but we just don't know how they're achieved.  Why is Thor the only one with his powers?  If it's science shouldn't the power of Thor be attributable to multiple Asgardians?  Why didn't Odin have those powers?  If Loki's illusions are science why don't Thor, Heimdall, Sif, or whoever carry around their own illusion generators?

Even assuming it's all science every time I've tried to play out the science angle I can't make it work in any logically explainable way.  (shrug)

MUTANTS!

ALIEN MUTANTS!!!!  (:

Just now, HighVoltage said:

MUTANTS!

ALIEN MUTANTS!!!!  (:

That's one of the first ideas that pops into my mind, too.

You can't fully explain mutants with science either, though, because they require you to abandon the first law of thermodynamics.  There's no way most mutants could generate enough energy to power their abilities, or explain how Storm can control physically separate parts of her body like weather--which coincidentally Stan Lee agreed with, he frequently commented how he hated Storm's design for that reason.  I think that's why Marvel ret-conned Eternals fantasy elements in with mutants to explain the unexplainable parts of how they work, although I'm not sure of it because I haven't read those stories.  I think I first heard about them being linked to the origin of mutants in the comics when they first announced the Eternals movie a few years ago, although it's possible I heard it a few years before that.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That's one of the first ideas that pops into my mind, too.

You can't fully explain mutants with science either, though, because they require you to abandon the first law of thermodynamics.  There's no way most mutants could generate enough energy to power their abilities, or explain how Storm can control physically separate parts of her body like weather--which coincidentally Stan Lee agreed with, he frequently commented how he hated Storm's design for that reason.  I think that's why Marvel ret-conned Eternals fantasy elements in with mutants to explain the unexplainable parts of how they work, although I'm not sure of it because I haven't read those stories.  I think I first heard about them being linked to the origin of mutants in the comics when they first announced the Eternals movie a few years ago, although it's possible I heard it a few years before that.

I hear you, re: laws of science, etc.

Maybe just go with an association with/access to Dark Matter. Nobody seems to know or understand Dark Matter anyway.

2 hours ago, jcjames said:

It's becoming clear that the "sitcom-of-the-week" gimmick and the "playing" with the audience to drive fan theories about the baddie is what keeps the audience coming back, rather than the story itself (which could have been portrayed in half the amount of episodes).

I can't really speak for the millions of WandaVision fans around the world, but what keeps me coming back each week isn't the sitcom of the week "gimmick" at all, though the mystery of who's pulling the strings is compelling.

What compels me to tune in to WandaVision every Friday at 3am is the story of Wanda's state of mind. She really crazy or is there something else? Also I find compelling the story of Vision's state of existence, a story continued from Infinity War. Is he dead or alive? Also the story of Monica Rambeau. She grew up to be a badaas and I like following her around as she attempts to help Wanda and Vision and the residents of Westview. Also the story of SWORD and this jerk in charge of everything. Is he just a trigger happy soldier or does he have darker plans? Also the story of Wanda's children. Also the love story of Wanda and Vision which we're finally seeing fleshed out, albeit in the form of a sitcom. And yes, the mystery of who's behind it all. Is it all Wanda? Was it really Agatha all along? There's a lot of stories in this show I find compelling. But that's just me.

As far as the sitcom of the week thing being a gimmick, I know it's easy to simply dismiss it as such, as so far there doesn't seem to be a reason behind it other than being gimmicky, kind of like how WW84 used the 80's as a gimmick and nothing more. However, Darcy posed the question to Agent Woo on the reason to have a sitcom from a different decade and that it couldn't have just been for her enjoyment. Paul Bettany teased in an earlier interview that by the end of the series, the whole broadcast sitcom thing will make sense. So something tells me the sitcom of the week thing is more than just a gimmick.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

6 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

A Luke Skywalker type reveal suggests a previously existing MCU character. 

It "feels" like there should be a previously-known Marvel bad guy to pop up at the end of WandaVision.

The torture/punishment of Wanda seems personal on some level.

Ultron makes sense in that regard. I'm not sure who else would fill the bill?

I have no problem introducing a Mephisto level/type character at the end of the show, and having that lead us all into Dr. Strange and maybe the next Spidey movie too.
But why would that type of character torture Wanda so personally? To drive her into madness or a mistake, which allows said creature to gain power or access to the MCU dimension?
It does seem like there are two (three?) levels of baddies involved here. Agatha. Maybe an Ultron. And then a bigger level bad guy.

As always - just spitballing...

38 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

The torture/punishment of Wanda seems personal on some level.

Agreed, sorta.  It feels either personal, or the output of someone who is just entirely sadistic by nature.  If it's personal the only character I can think of from the MCU we've been shown who may carry a grudge against her and can pull off a significant portion of what we're seeing is Ultron.  But he couldn't do it alone, he would have to be working with one of the magical characters hinted at.

If it's not personal which one of the potential big bads is purely sadistic enough to enjoy taunting her with those commercials?  DEFINITELY not Immortus.  Mephisto fits that profile entirely.  I have no idea how twisted and sadistic Chthon or Nightmare are, but if someone knows please do share.

40 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

It does seem like there are two (three?) levels of baddies involved here. Agatha. Maybe an Ultron. And then a bigger level bad guy.

That's Feige's modus operandi to date, so given the mixed bag of hints for different big bads I tend to agree.  You could have any of the ones we're speculating on pop up at the end, and then in Doctor Strange 3 we find that guy was the puppet or accomplice of another.

I'm already 100% set on who the villain pulling Agatha's strings is, so I'm done there. I am thinking about other story elements, though.

I think Wanda and Vision's home is actually their home which Wanda purchased not long ago and that they actually are new to the neighborhood. "There goes the neighborhood" literally applies to Wanda and Vision moving in.

It's possible the next time we see Tommy and Billy, who I think have now been kidnapped by the master puppeteer, they will be teenagers or young adults.

I think the ending of WandaVision might also lead into Secret Invasion. Could Director Heyward be an alien (and not a Skrull) which is why he changed SWORD's directive to Sentient Weapons instead of Sentient World after Maria Rambeau's death and while Nick Fury has been gone?

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

OK, let's assume the powers of Asgardians are pure science but we just don't know how they're achieved.  Why is Thor the only one with his powers?  If it's science shouldn't the power of Thor be attributable to multiple Asgardians?  Why didn't Odin have those powers?  If Loki's illusions are science why don't Thor, Heimdall, Sif, or whoever carry around their own illusion generators?

Even assuming it's all science every time I've tried to play out the science angle I can't make it work in any logically explainable way.  (shrug)

Powers? Powers? I still don't know why Thanos is so all powerful. 

Some people cry salty tears because Carol Danvers got zapped by some powerful nugget but don't bat a blind flying fig at that Marxist Thanos being stronger than Death's wet farts.

And when I say Marxist, I mean Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Zeppo and Gummo. And now Thanoso.

2 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

If the goal of a villain is to gain access to Wanda's powers, then Westview may be their testing ground of those powers.

Why would Agnes kill the dog? To see if Wanda could resurrect it. Recall Agnes's reaction in the street to this issue: 'You could do that?' 

Good spot.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What if the person that shows up in the end has had his own previous Marvel TV show about altered mental states? :popcorn:

legion.gif.f2fd878d1f293fd671bed73660486efb.gif

I hope not. I found that show to be way too boring.