• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

Just now, jcjames said:

The "Previously On..." episode was more I interesting and advanced the story more than all the previous episodes combined. Seven episodes of gimmicks and easter eggs. It really really better wrap up spectacularly with real depth.

It focused on Wanda, which was a plus. I didn't care for half of the episode, though. The idea that she's 'always' been a witch is a terrible retcon. I mean, is her power inherently magical, or is she casting spells like Doctor Strange? Which one is it? The idea that she and Pietro survived the experiments due to perseverance is now lost.

I get that they want to bring mutants into the MCU, but they couldn't come up with a better idea? The 'always been there, but never important enough until now' trope is overplayed. 2c

It's not a ret-con; the evidence is all there on-screen in Age of Ultron.  They just couldn't explicitly say she was born with her powers because the contract with Fox wouldn't let them say she was a mutant, so Feige was limited to only being able to imply it.  The only way to pick up on the implication was if you were already familiar with the Celestials having engineered the X-gene from the comics stories.  We're highly likely to get that back story introduced into the MCU when the Eternals film is released.

And Agatha saying that Wanda was probably born with her magical affinities doesn't necessarily make her a mutant.  In the comics she's not a mutant, she's a mutate; she and Pietro were granted their powers by High Evolutionary shortly after they were born.  That way to tell the story could still fit into what we know about her from the MCU, too, but I doubt they will tell it that way.  My bet is that they end up making her as much of a mutant as any of the other X-Men, sharing their same dormant X-gene engineered millions of years ago by the Celestials that only gets developed now.

Edited by fantastic_four

47 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Hmmm, if they are saying Wanda is a mutant b/c she had powers all along, aren't all of those other witches -- including Agatha -- mutants, too, then?

Apparently Agatha "learned" her powers like Strange learned his.

33 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It's not a ret-con; the evidence is all there on-screen in Age of Ultron.  They just couldn't explicitly say she was born with her powers because the contract with Fox wouldn't let them say she was a mutant, so Feige was limited to only being able to imply it.  The only way to pick up on the implication was if you were already familiar with the Celestials having engineered the X-gene from the comics stories.  We're highly likely to get that back story introduced into the MCU when the Eternals film is released.

And Agatha saying that Wanda was probably born with her magical affinities doesn't necessarily make her a mutant.  In the comics she's not a mutant, she's a mutate; she and Pietro were granted their powers by High Evolutionary shortly after they were born.  That way to tell the story could still fit into what we know about her from the MCU, too, but I doubt they will tell it that way.  My bet is that they end up making her as much of a mutant as any of the other X-Men, sharing their same dormant X-gene engineered millions of years ago by the Celestials that only gets developed now.

According to what? Everything in AoU indicates that their powers are a direct result of Hydra's Scepter experiments. IIRC, Wanda even mentions in Civil War that she was someone completely different after she got her powers.

Now, the show is explaining that she magically made the Stark bomb a dud. How does she have this power? There are claims of "magic" and "hex" and "spells", but how? Since when can someone randomly cast a spell? Doctor Strange seemed to make a concise point that it takes "study and practice - years of it".

On 2/27/2021 at 10:20 AM, gadzukes said:

Wanda's mom looks out the window and sees War, Fires, shooting, bombs, chaos raging in the streets..... and like the good mother she is she decides...

"Hey kids, let's watch Van Dyke"

Anyone else think that was weird?

if that's what it looks like outside every night you just keep on living

On 2/27/2021 at 10:57 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Maybe an unimportant detail, but how did Vision get the deed to a property? Did Stark buy it for him and Wanda or was Vision able to purchase it on his own?  Did Vision get Avengers pay through the government? And if so, was he able to get a social security number? Was Vision ever considered a sentient being by the US Government?

if you remember from the early 80s when spidey was trying to join the avengers, the pay was a whopping $50K. so, adjust for inflation and a few other things, maybe they were making $150K each. enough to buy some land in new jersey!

On 2/27/2021 at 2:38 PM, gadzukes said:

I agree, but I have to say..... I'm still VERY happy with WV and have really enjoyed it.

The hype machine actually became a secondary entertainment for me to watch.

I can't believe how many times the name MEPHISTO was bandied about.:roflmao:

:gossip: I would encourage Marvel to bring Mephisto in to the MCU at some point soon judging by the fan response to his possible presence.

maybe we get a 5 second end credits scene where we have 5 of these demon type overlords sitting around a table saying "well, that didn't go how we had hoped"

1 minute ago, the blob said:

maybe we get a 5 second end credits scene where we have 5 of these demon type overlords sitting around a table saying "well, that didn't go how we had hoped"

Oh my God! That would be fantastic. Kind of like a scene out of the Fox Millennium TV show episode when the four demons sat in a coffee shop talking about how they drove men mad (Satan Got Behind Me).

On 2/28/2021 at 9:05 AM, fantastic_four said:

Even that I can't definitively blame her for...maybe yes, maybe no.  She told them not to do what they're doing because she couldn't control the dark magic, and then they died.  Did she do it on purpose, or did the dark magic do it without her control?  I THINK she did it on purpose, but I wasn't totally sure.  Also, what exactly were they trying to do?  Purge her, or kill her?  If they were trying to kill her then I suppose I can't blame her for fighting back.  After the rest of the coven died she told her "mother" please, don't do this, I can be good...her "mom" said "no, you cannot," so Agatha gave her a chance, and her "mom" declined to take it.

If they were trying to purge her of dark magic then Agatha is evil.  If they were trying to kill her she's not necessarily evil and it was self-defense.

Have you ever thought of a career as a war crimes defense lawyer? 

21 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

If the HEX magic was strong enough to draw-in Agnes, then where are all the other magic-users? Why haven't they all descended on WV? 

Dottie. But obviously her mind got warped in there. Agatha probably cast the right spells before coming in to protect herself.

21 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

What of Woo? Where & why is Woo's weasel within Westview?  

Woo is working undercover for Fury/Shield because Fury doesn't trust Heyward. Woo was assigned to Scott Lang because of the pym tech at issue, which is universe altering stuff.

20 hours ago, fett said:

preview has already shown doctor strange in the last episode. 

I am going to rush to get those Strange Tales 110s out of the dollar box now!!!

20 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The whole idea of the "Agatha All Along" theme is puzzling, as the reveal came when Wanda and Agatha were outside of Wanda's sphere of influence. That suggests that either the whole broadcast thing is someone else's doing, or, if it is Wanda's subconscious, that the whole evil wink to the camera is in Wanda's mind.

Since Agatha isn't evil in the comics, I'm assuming we still don't have the full story on her. I think whatever dark magic she was messing with in Salem has taken control of her, but perhaps still allows her some autonomy occasionally. She may see Wanda as a way to break that influence, and is trying to get her to realize what/who she is, for her own (self-interested, perhaps, but not selfish) ends.

It was written by a guy I went to high school with (ok, i was a little older), so I am ok with my 9 year old singing it constantly

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

Hmmm, if they are saying Wanda is a mutant b/c she had powers all along, aren't all of those other witches -- including Agatha -- mutants, too, then?

sure, you're born with the witch gene. whereas it seems dr. strange's magic can be learned.

36 minutes ago, the blob said:
2 hours ago, manetteska said:

sure, you're born with the witch gene. whereas it seems dr. strange's magic can be learned.

What I was then getting to was I thought -- in this version of the "universe" -- being a mutant was extremely rare or unheard of.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I am going to rush to get those Strange Tales 110s out of the dollar box now!!!

wow you are even more behind than usual. :)