• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, jcjames said:

It's becoming clear that the "sitcom-of-the-week" gimmick and the "playing" with the audience to drive fan theories about the baddie is what keeps the audience coming back, rather than the story itself (which could have been portrayed in half the amount of episodes).

"It's the journey, not the destination"  :preach:

Edited by Zonker
'

37 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Netflix, the veteran streaming service, had about the same issues last night at the 9:00 PM slot that Disney+ had. Streaming TV isn't an exact science yet. The diff at 3:00am EST last Friday on Disney+ however is 20,000 reports of outage vs 40-60 reports.

netflixdown.thumb.JPG.e84590e77649f5da588b91072aace3d8.JPG

Now you are not only a studio amateur accountant but also a streaming platform analyst too? The skills.

Hollywood_Accountant01.gif.c677380c53490d2ae86dc8d12d14d099.gif

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

I was HUGELY compelled by this idea when I saw it in the trailers for Thor.  But after watching the movie once and re-watching it half a dozen times since then...I don't see that Branagh actually merged magic and science together, at least not in any way that he actually explained on-screen well enough for anyone to understand.  What's the science behind Thor?  Various Asgardians just have these power sets that are largely unexplained other than they're "gods."

I spent at LEAST 10-20 hours imagining what this statement meant during multiple re-watches of the film.  For the first few viewings I held out hope the ideas were there and I was just overlooking them, but at this point it feels like wishful thinking.  Thor is super-tough, super-strong, and can generate lightning, but if there's a scientific explanation for why he can do all of that I haven't been able to dig it out of any of the Thor films.  (shrug)  If anyone else pieced it together please do share.

Clarke's Law "Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic."  :preach::preach:

In WandaVision episode 7, it was confirmed that SWORD and acting director Tyler Hayward (Josh Stamberg) had secret plans for Vision’s body, which could provide an explanation for Scarlet Witch’s attack on their facility. It would seem that what SWORD wanted to do was get Vision back online, despite the fact that the Mind Stone – which gave him life – was destroyed by Thanos along with all the other Infinity Stones. SWORD reviving Vision without the Mind Stone draws an interesting parallel to what West Coast Avengers did with the character in the 1980s with the John Byrne story, “VisionQuest”.

When Vision was dismantled by the government because of a previous bout of insanity, Scarlet Witch and the Avengers stormed a government building and recovered him. Once his body was back in their possession, Hank Pym used his scientific expertise to rebuild him. The problem was Wonder Man. It’s important to note that he’s the Marvel Comics equivalent to the Mind Stone in Vision’s origin story. His brain patterns were what Ultron used to create him. When Wonder Man refused to let Pym copy his brain patterns, Vision had to be brought back to life without a key component of his original design. As a result, Vision was restored without the ability to feel emotions. Vision losing the capacity for love meant that his relationship with Wanda was effectively over, and this unsurprisingly had a powerful impact on Scarlet Witch’s state of mind.

As more problems occurred in Wanda’s life, including the loss of her magically created children, Wanda lost her grip on reality. Wanda grew stronger in her reality-warping abilities, but eventually chose not to use this power. As it turned out, all of these events were foreseen and set into motion by Immortus, an alternate timeline version of Kang. It was he who manipulated Vison from behind the scenes and made him experience a breakdown. If this hadn’t happened, Vision wouldn’t have been destroyed or rebuilt, and Wanda never would have gone insane. Immortus wanted these things to happen so that he could gain access to her powers. Knowing what Scarlet Witch was capable of, he understood that her power could be a great asset to him.

55 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I was HUGELY compelled by this idea when I saw it in the trailers for Thor.  But after watching the movie once and re-watching it half a dozen times since then...I don't see that Branagh actually merged magic and science together, at least not in any way that he actually explained on-screen well enough for anyone to understand.  What's the science behind Thor?  Various Asgardians just have these power sets that are largely unexplained other than they're "gods."

I spent at LEAST 10-20 hours imagining what this statement meant during multiple re-watches of the film.  For the first few viewings I held out hope the ideas were there and I was just overlooking them, but at this point it feels like wishful thinking.  Thor is super-tough, super-strong, and can generate lightning, but if there's a scientific explanation for why he can do all of that I haven't been able to dig it out of any of the Thor films.  (shrug)  If anyone else pieced it together please do share.

I saw Thor's statement as more the underlying origin of power in the Marvel Comics universe going back to the first Silver Age hero, Ant-Man. Although it was comic book sci-fi movie science, Stan Lee still tried to use science to explain the origins of most of the heroes, mostly atomic radiation.

For Thor, it was more like we're not really gods who created humankind on Midgard, we're powerful aliens who live in the "vicinity" of Earth. With the MCU Dr. Strange, it's less pure magic and more channeling energy from other dimensions or using an Infinity Stone which is a huge source of power in the comic book movie sense.

If Mephisto shows up in WandaVision, it should be less Biblical supernatural devil and more like the MCU Thor, an extra-terrestrial being who can wield energy and is relatively stronger than an Earthling.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Hoping sometime soon the studios start to realize their best bet is streaming services consolidation.

Expecting consumers to pay for each of these services individually (including Disney+ :whatthe: ) is ridiculous.

I absolutely agree.  The cable companies must be in a state of panic over this.  Here is what I foresee happening though.

• The streaming services are smart in turning a blind eye to sharing accounts as it weens people off of their cable provider.
  • Once a significant amount of people are streaming content these platforms will raise their rates 
  • Once a significant amount of people are streaming content these platforms will tighten restrictions on sharing. 
  • Cable companies will not be a provider of content but a provider of internet service so to remain in business they will increase rates. 
  • There will be a resurgence in pirated material.
  • There will be a consolidation of platforms.   EX: Maybe Sony partners with Paramount 
Edited by Buzzetta

11 minutes ago, Zonker said:
1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Expand  

Clarke's Law "Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic."  :preach::preach:

OK, let's assume the powers of Asgardians are pure science but we just don't know how they're achieved.  Why is Thor the only one with his powers?  If it's science shouldn't the power of Thor be attributable to multiple Asgardians?  Why didn't Odin have those powers?  If Loki's illusions are science why don't Thor, Heimdall, Sif, or whoever carry around their own illusion generators?

Even assuming it's all science every time I've tried to play out the science angle I can't make it work in any logically explainable way.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Here's a graph showing the problem last Friday with the vertical data being the number of reports of failure, about 20,000 reports at 3:05 am EST. Apparently most reports were from the West Coast, which would be midnight.downdetector.thumb.JPG.14a6b472d37ea29254d00bb82229f269.JPG

There are problems across the nation on all platforms; zoom, google meets, amazon streaming, netflix, disney... all of them.  Yes they happen but it is not isolated to simply Disney nor an indicator of the isolated example but of the infrastructure as a whole. 

If the goal of a villain is to gain access to Wanda's powers, then Westview may be their testing ground of those powers.

Why would Agnes kill the dog? To see if Wanda could resurrect it. Recall Agnes's reaction in the street to this issue: 'You could do that?' 

5 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

If the goal of a villain is to gain access to Wanda's powers, then Westview may be their testing ground of those powers.

Why would Agnes kill the dog? To see if Wanda could resurrect it. Recall Agnes's reaction in the street to this issue: 'You could do that?' 

^^

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There are problems across the nation on all platforms; zoom, google meets, amazon streaming, netflix, disney... all of them.  Yes they happen but it is not isolated to simply Disney nor an indicator of the isolated example but of the infrastructure as a whole. 

There are infrastructure capacity issues across many platforms. But when you have a key show to kick off the next phase of the MCU and THAT is when it crashes - that's not a widespread problem. That's a unique and specific Disney+ issue.

:foryou:

8 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

That’s what I’m thinking - she wants Wanda to resurrect someone for her 

30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I absolutely agree.  The cable companies must be in a state of panic over this.  Here is what I foresee happening though.

• The streaming services are smart in turning a blind eye to sharing accounts as it weens people off of their cable provider.
  • Once a significant amount of people are streaming content these platforms will raise their rates 
  • Once a significant amount of people are streaming content these platforms will tighten restrictions on sharing. 
  • Cable companies will not be a provider of content but a provider of internet service so to remain in business they will increase rates. 
  • There will be a resurgence in pirated material.
  • There will be a consolidation of platforms.   EX: Maybe Sony partners with Paramount 

Yep.

Reminds me of early days of the internet and Napster coming in and changing the entire music industry.
No regulation into new rules/laws/regulation. New ways to listen to music, new devices. Evolving into streaming.

This next disruption is/was of cable & cord-cutting. New things to be figured out. Splintering and paying 6 different companies to view their content
may not be quite what we consumers envisioned in dropping cable. It looks like we're gonna end up paying that same 'cable bundle' rate - just to different
content-providers instead of one of the dreaded cable giants.

One way or another, count on rates being raised and sharing being eliminated or tightened down.