• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastern Color "file" copy...a blast from the past!
2 2

54 posts in this topic

There's an Eastern Color File Copy (fake stamps, didn't exist) on eBay. Didn't Danny D cobble these together back in the day? You can see the obvious trimming and CT too. 

Interesting piece of comic scammer history. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/the-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-No-28-FN-Sept-1965-MARVEL-Key-Issue-1st-MOLTEN-MAN/153419366417?hash=item23b881c011:g:CksAAOSwzGBb9kuy

52 minutes ago, october said:

here's an Eastern Color File Copy (fake stamps, didn't exist) on eBay. Didn't Danny D cobble these together back in the day? You can see the obvious trimming and CT too. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/the-AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-No-28-FN-Sept-1965-MARVEL-Key-Issue-1st-MOLTEN-MAN/153419366417?hash=item23b881c011:g:CksAAOSwzGBb9kuy

Yep, an infamous Fantazia classic!

At least the ebay seller is not pimping the "file copy" element in the listing.

This exact Spidey 28 copy popped up in a previous thread 7 years ago. See MasterChief's post in it with pictures showing the stamp/writing details on the following link:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/236332-file-copies/page/2/

3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Yep, an infamous Fantazia classic!

At least the ebay seller is not pimping the "file copy" element in the listing.

This exact Spidey 28 copy popped up in a previous thread 7 years ago. See MasterChief's post in it with pictures showing the stamp/writing details on the following link:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/236332-file-copies/page/2/

Good memory!

Fun reading. I'd buy that trainwreck ASM 28 just as a laugh, but not for anything approaching the asking price. 

14 hours ago, october said:

There's an Eastern Color File Copy (fake stamps, didn't exist) on eBay. Didn't Danny D cobble these together back in the day? You can see the obvious trimming and CT too. 

So it's an authentic book, but someone stamped File Copy on it to try and pass it off as a file copy?

18 hours ago, october said:

What ever happened with him? Did he stop selling all together? 

2 hours ago, maraxusofkeld said:

What ever happened with him? Did he stop selling all together? 

There is still someone on eBay using the same camera angle, the same type of descriptions, etc. If it's not him, it's someone working with him.

5 hours ago, october said:

There is still someone on eBay using the same camera angle, the same type of descriptions, etc. If it's not him, it's someone working with him.

No doubt in my mind that it's him or a shill for him. I still have one of these Eastern "file copies", a TTA 57 that I bought for $50 back in the day. I knew it was restored when I bought it but didn't find out about the connection to Dupcak until later. 

I've got the ASM #28, picked it up off eBay a couple of weeks ago.

It arrived with the cover detached. When I complained to the seller about that, they absolutely insisted the cover was attached. They also did not reveal the extent of the color touch, nor the trimming, nor the messy spline split sealing. Seller thus far is refusing to refund it.

After his protestations, I did some digging and now here we are...

It's this one, referenced in this old thread from 2012:

stamp_comparison_ECFC.jpg&key=356ff1a704

Should be a fun one to resolve!

The so-called Eastern Color File Copy of ASM-28 has quite the history.

In 2007 it was sold by marvelseller, who had a reputation for buying certified Universal and Restored books on eBay, cracking them out, and then subsequently reselling them at inflated grades. Often times advertised as two to three points higher than the former certified grade.

Marvelseller’s history of buying and selling comics can be traced all the way back to August of 2003 when he went by eBay username aardvarkps. After collectors caught on to the questionable antics of aardvarkps, he changed his User ID and first appeared as marvelseller circa 2006.

Below is a screenshot of the copy selling in December of 2007 as a "9.2 to 9.4." It was noted as being trimmed, but nothing about color touch. It went to a buyer who had a feedback of 1. Currently that User ID is not found on eBay.

ASM-28_ECFC_eBay_071202_1x1.jpg
ASM-28_ECFC_eBay_071202_2x1.gif
ASM-28_ECFC_eBay_071202_3x1.gif
ASM-28_ECFC_eBay_071202_4x1.gif

19 hours ago, MasterChief said:

The so-called Eastern Color File Copy of ASM-28 has quite the history.

Masterchief;

Welcome back to the boards after a long long absence, even though I know that you have been patroling the boards behind the scenes. :hi:

Personally, let me say that your absolutely amazing detective tracking work and deep dive into some of the shall we say "improved books" have been sorely missed on these boards here.  :frown:

Hope this post here is a positive sign that you might be able to post more often and share some of your extensive knowledge with the new boardies going forward. :wishluck:

Update...

I filed a claim with eBay, told the seller all things wrong with it which he insists he didn't realize. He says all the other times this year he's sold the item, the buyers never paid him. That sure is an awful lot of bad luck to have with one book. Odd that he'd have positive feedback from the buyers on at least two of those sales as well. I've heard this sort of excuse before from sellers who shill bid their item and accidently wind up selling it to themselves, but I'm always willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to someone the first time around.

I paid $306, but gave him the option to refund me $200 to keep the book, and he's willing to do so. Should I keep it? I can still demand all the money back. Part of me actually wants to hold on to it because of it's history. It does still look nice, even if it is a trimmed and touched scam comic. I can always reinforce/reattach the cover myself with some rice tape.

Who knows, maybe one day CGC will have a special "PLODD" - Purple Label of Danny Dupcak. We should petition CGC!

What do you think, guys?

FYI, here's the auction: eBay https://ebay.us/GlAIld

33 minutes ago, agamoto said:

Update...

I filed a claim with eBay, told the seller all things wrong with it which he insists he didn't realize. He says all the other times this year he's sold the item, the buyers never paid him. That sure is an awful lot of bad luck to have with one book. Odd that he'd have positive feedback from the buyers on at least two of those sales as well. I've heard this sort of excuse before from sellers who shill bid their item and accidently wind up selling it to themselves, but I'm always willing to give him the benefit of the doubt to someone the first time around.

I paid $306, but gave him the option to refund me $200 to keep the book, and he's willing to do so. Should I keep it? I can still demand all the money back. Part of me actually wants to hold on to it because of it's history. It does still look nice, even if it is a trimmed and touched scam comic. I can always reinforce/reattach the cover myself with some rice tape.

Who knows, maybe one day CGC will have a special "PLODD" - Purple Label of Danny Dupcak. We should petition CGC!

What do you think, guys?

FYI, here's the auction: eBay https://ebay.us/GlAIld

If you can get it for a hundred bucks (roughly) why not?  It certainly makes for a great story!

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

I'd take a full refund.  You can always tell your story via this thread...and this thread is here for posterity to boot.  Your keeping the book will not stop this type of behaviour unfortunately.

He, or someone else, will just try to resell it again. This takes it off the market, for as long as I'm still breathing anyway.

3 hours ago, agamoto said:

He, or someone else, will just try to resell it again. This takes it off the market, for as long as I'm still breathing anyway.

I understand that BUT apparently he's done this to other books so it's not a one off example.  If this one disappears from the market there are more to take its place.

Edited by pemart1966

On 3/18/2019 at 4:57 AM, october said:
On 3/18/2019 at 2:40 AM, waaaghboss said:

So it's an authentic book, but someone stamped File Copy on it to try and pass it off as a file copy?

Yes. And color touched it. And trimmed it. 

Are you sure that's Danny Boy's handiwork there?  hm

After all, his trimming jobs are really more of a macro hack job whereby you are usually left with only a mini version of the comic book by the time he's done with it.  lol  :facepalm: