• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastern Color "file" copy...a blast from the past!
2 2

54 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, agamoto said:

Who knows, maybe one day CGC will have a special "PLODD" - Purple Label of Danny Dupcak

I was always amused by this past Heritage auction item description (see auction description in following link)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-avengers-11-marvel-1964-condition-apparent-nm-a-solid-example-of-an-important-issue-a-spider-man-guest-appeara/a/14032-17104.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by DanCooper

On 8/24/2019 at 5:31 PM, lou_fine said:

Are you sure that's Danny Boy's handiwork there?  hm

After all, his trimming jobs are really more of a macro hack job whereby you are usually left with only a mini version of the comic book by the time he's done with it.  lol  :facepalm:

100% Sure. :) Matches Masterchief's post from 7 years ago.

IMG_20190824_204603.thumb.jpg.96e9e0656477a2d57b40a35306f890ce.jpg

IMG_20190824_204650.thumb.jpg.a706ba9c965ca615bd763c6be0cbf243.jpg

IMG_20190824_204640.thumb.jpg.e6789103d169a47c430281ddc4ed26d8.jpg

IMG_20190824_204719.thumb.jpg.0053d17c212594da1ddda38de23410a8.jpg

IMG_20190822_125346.thumb.jpg.5abbf6d220895069e441ded1b0d37f61.jpg

Edited by agamoto
URL for former images broken

2 hours ago, DanCooper said:

I was always amused by this past Heritage auction item description (see auction description in following link)

2 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

You're amused.  I'm bemused.  Someone at HA didn't do their homework...

P.S.  I looked up the word "oxymoron" and the example given included "Fantazia" and "Certificate of Authenticity".  

Wow, to think they would actually be :facepalm: enough to use use both "Fantazia" and their Certificate of Non-Authenticity as the key selling point for their book.  lol  :screwy:

2 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Wow.  Is that heavy bleed-thru I see on the interior back cover spine pic?  Way more than inside the front cover. 

And the height :eek:

The bleed through is right along the spine itself and around the staples in a thin band that was likely used to cover what appears to be a real sloppy spine split seal. There's no color touch elsewhere, at least that's what my UV light is telling me.

This belongs in a museum... The Comic Dealer Hall of Shame.

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, to think they would actually be :facepalm: enough to use use both "Fantazia" and their Certificate of Non-Authenticity as the key selling point for their book.  lol  :screwy:

It was an auction from 2004.  A lot more information about Dupcak's doctored books and phony descriptions became circulated after then.

Edited by namisgr

4 hours ago, namisgr said:

It was an auction from 2004.  A lot more information about Dupcak's doctored books and phony descriptions became circulated after then.

Ironically, the Comic Buyers Guide's expose on Dupcak/Comic-Keys connection ("Mystery in Cyberspace") came out in February 2004.

Heritage auction was in March 2004

5 hours ago, namisgr said:
12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I still think that Heritage should have known a lot sooner than that.  (tsk)

Especially when most collectors were already well aware of the nefarious going ons with fantazia and their Eastern Color File Copies in the early 90's.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:
5 hours ago, namisgr said:

Ironically, the Comic Buyers Guide's expose on Dupcak/Comic-Keys connection ("Mystery in Cyberspace") came out in February 2004.

Well, that sure took them a long time or more than 10 years after they were booted off from advertising on the pages of CBG.  :whatthe:

Especially since it took only a discussion with Maggie down at the SD Con and they were gone from the pages of CBG within 2 short weeks afterwards.  (thumbsu :applause:

19 hours ago, DanCooper said:

Yeah... that is a one-of-kind auction listing. It's the only one on Heritage. Kinda odd that the listing doesn't mention "eastern color file copy" or a derivative thereof. When you search on those terms or a combination thereof you get a lot of results, certified and raw. But that particular listing doesn't pop.

At the time I stumbled across it in 2007 I was doing research into the alleged file copies. It was posted as an image in the 2012 thread to provide additional evidence that Dupcak masterminded the so-called Eastern Color File Copies, and to show that he (Fantazia) apparently provided a certificate of authenticity to validate lineage. 

I also posted an image of an original CBG Fantasia advertisement from 1991 in the same thread. It listed many file copies with some of the best advert embellishment ever written. Looking back now the image appears blurry and unreadable. So, here's the original scanned image in all its glory. It was sent to me by a fellow collector who had a hard copy of the actual CBG issue.

fantazia1.jpg

1 hour ago, MasterChief said:

I also posted an image of an original CBG Fantasia advertisement from 1991 in the same thread. It listed many file copies with some of the best advert embellishment ever written. Looking back now the image appears blurry and unreadable. So, here's the original scanned image in all its glory. It was sent to me by a fellow collector who had a hard copy of the actual CBG issue.

fantazia1.jpg

Masterchief;

Most definitely a blast from the past.  :x

After reading all of that hype and Danny Dupcak prose in all its glory, I found my hands naturally reaching out for my wallet to open it as wide as I could.  lol  (tsk)

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/18/2019 at 7:08 AM, maraxusofkeld said:

What ever happened with him? Did he stop selling all together? 

You mean after he was booted off the pages of CBG and not allowed to run his scams on there anymore?  hm

I clearly remember him crying like a little school girl  :cry:  :cry: :cry: and wishing and hoping to no avail that he could get his advertising privileges back.

Brings a smile to my face every time I think about poor little Danny boy twisting in the wind for all those long months on end.  lol  lol

Edited by lou_fine

34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You mean after he was booted off the pages of CBG and not allowed to run his scams on there anymore?  hm

I clearly remember him crying like a little school girl  :cry:  :cry: :cry: and wishing and hoping to no avail that he could get his advertising privileges back.

Brings a smile to my face every time I think about poor little Danny boy twisting in the wind for all those long months on end.  lol  lol

How did this all unravel for him?  As pointed out, he advertised for YEARS in CBG.  Was he pulling these scams from the get go or was it something that started later?

5 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

How did this all unravel for him?  As pointed out, he advertised for YEARS in CBG.  Was he pulling these scams from the get go or was it something that started later?

Customers started complaining about the undisclosed resto so it was only a matter of time before CBG dropped his ads. I think Overstreet pulled his advertising around the same time. Then he moved on to forged sports memorabilia, for which he was eventually busted.

4 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Customers started complaining about the undisclosed resto so it was only a matter of time before CBG dropped his ads. I think Overstreet pulled his advertising around the same time. Then he moved on to forged sports memorabilia, for which he was eventually busted.

Going through my copies of Overstreet from the 80s and 90s, it appears as though Dupcak may have been persona non grata from advertising in Overstreet with the 21st edition (1991-1992).

From the copies I have, Fantazia placed ads in editions 16, 17, 19, and 20. The ads ended with 21.

Not exactly sure when he started advertising in the 80s, as I'm missing editions 14-15, but I have the 13th edition (1983-1984) and he's not in it.

The following ad is from the 16th edition (1986-1987). It displays the fabled wall of gold...

CBPG-I6-PG416_Fantazia-ad.jpg

Fantazia-ad_TheWall_CBPG-16.jpg