• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastern Color "file" copy...a blast from the past!
2 2

54 posts in this topic

Edition 19 (1989-1990) contains two Fantazia ads. A hybrid of The Wall ad announcing a new specialized service of "Assembling recommended investment portfolios." And on the adjacent page, a new WANTED ad... (no, not his 1997 Nassau County Correctional Center mugshot. lol)

CBPG-19-PG490_Fantazia-ad.jpg

CBPG-19-PG491_Fantazia-ad.jpg

7 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Going through my copies of Overstreet from the 80s and 90s, it appears as though Dupcak may have been persona non grata from advertising in Overstreet with the 21st edition (1991-1992).

From the copies I have, Fantazia placed ads in editions 16, 17, 19, and 20. The ads ended with 21.

Not exactly sure when he started advertising in the 80s, as I'm missing editions 14-15, but I have the 13th edition (1983-1984) and he's not in it.

The following ad is from the 16th edition (1986-1987). It displays the fabled wall of gold...

I had overstreet guides since the late 70's but got rid of them long ago... I never read CBG, but I definitely remember this ad from the 80's guides. They were full color too, and as a wee teeny bopper, I was incredibly jealous... Now, I understand the pie didn't actually taste so sweet. 

8 hours ago, MasterChief said:

With the 17th edition (1987-1988), Daniel $ Dupcak doubled his marketing promotion by placing two sperate ads. One on page A-177 (same copy of The Wall ad) and a new audacious advert boasting of his non-detectable restoration abilities...

CBPG-17-PG472_Fantazia-ad.jpg

I wonder if the phrase "Careful attention to minute detail" is another way of saying "trimming"?    lol

10 hours ago, MasterChief said:

CBPG-19-PG491_Fantazia-ad.jpg

Always love seeing old "wanted" ads from the past. Gives you a feel for what was hot or not at a certain time era.

Danny states in the ad that the list was compiled on January 1, 1989. Later on, in that summer of '89, was the Batman movie and its hype. Ad features the main key Detectives as well as Batman 1 and the origin 47 issue.

Absent of note is no Action 1 or Superman 1 listed, even though there are wanted books on the list from those titles.

13 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Going through my copies of Overstreet from the 80s and 90s, it appears as though Dupcak may have been persona non grata from advertising in Overstreet with the 21st edition (1991-1992).

From the copies I have, Fantazia placed ads in editions 16, 17, 19, and 20. The ads ended with 21.

Not exactly sure when he started advertising in the 80s, as I'm missing editions 14-15, but I have the 13th edition (1983-1984) and he's not in it.

The following ad is from the 16th edition (1986-1987). It displays the fabled wall of gold...

CBPG-I6-PG416_Fantazia-ad.jpg

Fantazia-ad_TheWall_CBPG-16.jpg

Masterchief;

Good to see that you are definitely back here in full force on this particular thread here.  (thumbsu

Yes indeed, those pictures and ads definitely brings back good memories.  So good in fact, that I even called that first number on the left to see if Danny boy was still there.  Sad to say, but it came up as "The number you've dialled is Not In Service".  Well, maybe I still have a chance with the second number as it just keeps on ringing and hopefully he'll be back home later tonight.  lol

Even though he was a snake for sure, he always had some absolutely ridiculous and hilarious story about how he couldn't talk anymore and had to get off the phone.  One time it was because his Ferrari or Lamborghini or something like that was in the process of either being towed away or being broken into right in front of his store.  Another time was how the two swimsuit models in the next room were still in heat as they simply couldn't get enough of him and he had to go back in to satisfy them some more since they were both screaming his name so loud that the neighbours might file a complaint.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

You couldn't help but to laugh at some of the wild and wacky stories he would come up with in order to blow you off.  lol  (tsk)

He most definitely didn't find it so funny though when the shoe was on the other foot in the end.  What a little crybaby he turned out to be!!!  :devil:  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

Question for old-time collectors or dealers...

When was the first time a certificate of authenticity was used to validate the provenance of a comics find or collection?

I understand Rozanski created a velum paper certificate to market the Mile High II collection at the 1985 San Diego Comic Convention, but who was the first?  hm

Speaking of certificates...

I dug up this old CBG Fantazia advertisement in one of the many file copy threads here on the boards.

As part of the ad, Dupcak not only lists many "uncirculated" file copies and proof specimens, but he also includes the language used in his Letter of Certification verifying their Eastern Color warehouse origin.

Interesting of note is that Dupcak states there are three different versions of the file stamp: rectangular, round, or triangular. The ad copy is classic Dupcak wordsmithing to entice collectors.

I have cropped, resized and adjusted the ad from the original source to (hopefully) aid reading.

Fantazia_Ad_letter-of-certificate.jpg

Fantazia_Ad_file-copies.jpg

5 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Speaking of certificates...

I dug up this old CBG Fantazia advertisement in one of the many file copy threads here on the boards.

As part of the ad, Dupcak not only lists many "uncirculated" file copies and proof specimens, but he also includes the language used in his Letter of Certification verifying their Eastern Color warehouse origin.

Interesting of note is that Dupcak states there are three different versions of the file stamp: rectangular, round, or triangular. The ad copy is classic Dupcak wordsmithing to entice collectors.

I have cropped, resized and adjusted the ad from the original source to (hopefully) aid reading.

Fantazia_Ad_letter-of-certificate.jpg

Fantazia_Ad_file-copies.jpg

Love it.  So glad to see you back, MC. 

You are (and have always been) a gem on the boards.  Your “service” has been much appreciated.  

On 8/25/2019 at 4:11 PM, lou_fine said:
On 3/18/2019 at 7:08 AM, maraxusofkeld said:

What ever happened with him? Did he stop selling all together? 

You mean after he was booted off the pages of CBG and not allowed to run his scams on there anymore?  hm

I clearly remember him crying like a little school girl  :cry:  :cry: :cry: and wishing and hoping to no avail that he could get his advertising privileges back.

Brings a smile to my face every time I think about poor little Danny boy twisting in the wind for all those long months on end.  lol  lol

On 8/25/2019 at 9:59 PM, Larryw7 said:
On 8/25/2019 at 4:47 PM, pemart1966 said:

How did this all unravel for him?  As pointed out, he advertised for YEARS in CBG.  Was he pulling these scams from the get go or was it something that started later?

Customers started complaining about the undisclosed resto so it was only a matter of time before CBG dropped his ads. I think Overstreet pulled his advertising around the same time. Then he moved on to forged sports memorabilia, for which he was eventually busted.

Well, in answer to you question about whatever happened to him in the end and how did this all unravel for him, Masterchief being the absolute master that he is at going through old posts and digging out invaluable information for us was able to find this link to an old post that I had written up not too long after I first got on the boards here.  :applause:

Looking back on my diatribe about Danny Boy after all these years makes for a rather long and boring read.  Now that I have more of a sense of humour about the whole thing, there were actually a lot of rather outlandish and humourous aspects to some of Danny's story that really did him in with Maggie and CBG at the time.  I guess Maggie and the editorial powers that be at CBG finally decided that they had had enough with Danny and must have overruled the advertising and marketing department which was probably making a fortune off Danny and his gang at the time with all of their huge full page weekly ads.

Anyways, the link to my blast from the past story with Danny Boy (if it works :wishluck:), courtesy of Masterchief himself:  

Edited by lou_fine